•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astrophotography with non-specialized cameras

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kurban_Alimagadov

Kurban_Alimagadov

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 December 2021 - 07:23 AM

Is there using of UVC-interface cameras (web-cameras, etc.) or USB3 Vision interface cameras instead specialized astrocameras for astrophotography? Are there the models that allow to take good results for this?

Edited by Kurban_Alimagadov, 09 December 2021 - 07:36 AM.

#2 ETtheExtraterrestrial

ETtheExtraterrestrial

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 09 December 2021 - 08:04 AM

I am not enough of an expert to tell you specifically it it’s possible or not but my gut says probably not.

The first thing would be how to control it. You won’t find ascom drivers for a webcam as an example. You could use whatever application applies to the camera itself, I guess, but that would limit what you’re able to do and what you’re able to control.

There are some pretty cheap camera options available, either dslr or Astro to begin with. I’d think you’d be better off going down that route.

I’m not even sure how you would connect the camera to the scope since they wouldn’t have any threads made to creat the connections.

I mean I assume anything is possible and can be rigged but doesn’t seem worth it. Just my two cents.

I’m sure others that know more will chime in.

Good luck and clear skies.

#3 Wine60

Wine60

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Riley Indiana

Posted 09 December 2021 - 08:34 AM

I found this with a fast search http://www.hristopavlov.net/ASCOM/. Might check it out.

#4 AA5TB

AA5TB

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Posted 09 December 2021 - 08:34 AM

I’ve had good success on planetary objects and the Moon with an inexpensive SvBONY SV-305 camera. It’s made for astrophotography but is closer to a webcam than a high dollar Astro-cam. It uses a single USB cable to my laptop, no other power source. I feel I got my money’s worth anyway and have fun with it and my little telescope.

https://www.svbony.c...tronomy-camera/

Steve

#5 Kurban_Alimagadov

Kurban_Alimagadov

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 December 2021 - 08:51 AM

I found this with a fast search http://www.hristopavlov.net/ASCOM/. Might check it out.

Thank you. I know about ASCOM Video Driver. But I want to get examples of devices, which allow to make good photos. Can you suggest a few?

#6 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 09 December 2021 - 09:54 AM

We already have a thread running on this here . Please post on that thread. I'm locking this one. 

Rgrds-Ross

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics