•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

StarTools hangs on WIPE - anyone else have this problem?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 09 December 2021 - 08:15 AM

Target: Orion at 250mm.

Versions 18.5.15 alpha and 17.458 both hang on initiating WIPE. The former flashes green once and the latter flashes green a few times.

Then I restacked at a different % in DSS. Still hangs.

Then I cropped to 50% instead of 71%. Still hangs.

Then I re-StarTooled a stack I did of a different target two days ago. Everything works fine.

Then I went back to Orion @ 250mm and didn't adjust "Ignore Fine Detail" in the AUTODEV module. Now it works fine. 

Ignore Fine Detail causes StarTools to hang. 

#2 Topographic

Topographic

Viking 1

• Loc: Tarn et Garonne, France

Posted 09 December 2021 - 08:49 AM

If you are using the latest version there could be an issue with virtual memory, mine was low and increasing it made the programme run smooth and faster.

see https://forum.starto...memory&start=10

or

ask Ivo Jager on the StarTools forum, he is very responsive for advice and dealing with problems.

#3 happylimpet

happylimpet

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southampton, UK

Posted 09 December 2021 - 09:34 AM

Sounds like a personal hygiene issue.

#4 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 09 December 2021 - 09:51 AM

Sounds like a personal hygiene issue.

🤣🤣

#5 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 09 December 2021 - 12:14 PM

Target: Orion at 250mm.

Versions 18.5.15 alpha and 17.458 both hang on initiating WIPE. The former flashes green once and the latter flashes green a few times.

Then I restacked at a different % in DSS. Still hangs.

Then I cropped to 50% instead of 71%. Still hangs.

Then I re-StarTooled a stack I did of a different target two days ago. Everything works fine.

Then I went back to Orion @ 250mm and didn't adjust "Ignore Fine Detail" in the AUTODEV module. Now it works fine. 

Ignore Fine Detail causes StarTools to hang. 

Never had that, not in wipe . But ignore fine detail is in the stretching, no?

I use 1.7.461, otherwise if you wish ,you could  load up your stack, so i can see if it happens on my machine too.

I am running it under win 10, 20H2 i believe , 32 gb of SDRAM , AMD Ryzen 5 3600 on a B450M board...

The only thing what sometimes happens is it hangs in the compose module, loading  a stack in the channel, might cause ST to hang. 

Hope when the new 1.8.x version becomes stable, it is no longer the case.

#6 Topographic

Topographic

Viking 1

• Loc: Tarn et Garonne, France

Posted 09 December 2021 - 01:20 PM

The only thing what sometimes happens is it hangs in the compose module, loading  a stack in the channel, might cause ST to hang. 

Hope when the new 1.8.x version becomes stable, it is no longer the case.

The only time I have had Compose hang is when I have tried to load data before the last data load is complete...impatient as ever smile.gif

#7 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

Posted 13 December 2021 - 02:03 PM

The only time I have had Compose hang is when I have tried to load data before the last data load is complete...impatient as ever smile.gif

Had it again today....and i was not trying to load allready the next file...strange...

#8 Mikehuerto

Mikehuerto

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Valencia, Spain

Posted 13 December 2021 - 04:15 PM

Hi, Im using Startools 1.8.506 alpha,  I have never seen it hang or crash. Used it first on a MacBook Air with an I7 processor and 8 RAM, then switched it over to Lenovo with I7 and 16 RAM. So Im wondering whether its your PCs processor speed or RAM?

#9 Borodog

Borodog

Soyuz

Posted 13 December 2021 - 04:27 PM

I got lots of crashes. It's one of the reasons I haven't shelled out for the software even though I thought the wipe functionality was pretty good. FWIW I have a quad core i7 with 32GB of RAM.

#10 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Cosmos

Posted 13 December 2021 - 05:01 PM

Hi, Im using Startools 1.8.506 alpha,  I have never seen it hang or crash. Used it first on a MacBook Air with an I7 processor and 8 RAM, then switched it over to Lenovo with I7 and 16 RAM. So Im wondering whether its your PCs processor speed or RAM?

Don't think so...i am using v 1.7.461, on a Ryzen 5 3600, 32 gb sdram. It does not really crash , it becomes partly unresponsive, i just can close it...start over and i might work. No real issue actually, just weird.

Maybe i should try the 1.8 version but it is still an alpha version .  

#11 StarBurger

StarBurger

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North Country NY

Posted 13 December 2021 - 05:26 PM

Happens to me with V 1.7.456. The wipe module begins to flash alarmingly but it always makes it.

I was told of a value in the registry that could be increased (something to do with the graphics). I did increase it but to no effect.

I just live with it.

#12 Sonya6500

Sonya6500

Vostok 1

• Loc: Bluffton , South Carolina

Posted 14 December 2021 - 11:33 AM

Are you processing a drizzled image? If so that is a huge load on the system.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics