•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What are those cameras called?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

James Webb Space Telescope

• topic starter

Posted 09 December 2021 - 08:16 AM

There is a camera plus software that is used specifically to evaluate strehl ratio. They were fairly popular a few years ago but I see no mention of them anymore. What is the name? Are they still sold?

I'm forgetting whether this is a hardware plus software system or whether you're just supposed to buy your own webcam and hook it up to some kind of software.

Thanks for any help, Greg N

#2 Exnihilo

Exnihilo

Apollo

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 09 December 2021 - 08:34 AM

Well, I did a google search and came up with this "tool" from Keck observatory.

https://www2.keck.ha...rehl_meter2.htm

There's a link in there to download a strehl "widget" for a generic strehl estimate, but I didn't install it, so I don't know what kind of inputs it requires.  It says it requires a "science" camera, so I don't know what that means.

Scroll down to where it says, "Strehl meter for arbitrary telescopes/cameras," the widget download link is under that.  You get a installable file; I didn't check if that's only usable on unix machines or not, but it may be.

Edited by Exnihilo, 09 December 2021 - 08:36 AM.

#3 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

• topic starter

Posted 09 December 2021 - 08:52 AM

Well, I did a google search and came up with this "tool" from Keck observatory.

https://www2.keck.ha...rehl_meter2.htm

There's a link in there to download a strehl "widget" for a generic strehl estimate, but I didn't install it, so I don't know what kind of inputs it requires. It says it requires a "science" camera, so I don't know what that means.

Scroll down to where it says, "Strehl meter for arbitrary telescopes/cameras," the widget download link is under that. You get a installable file; I didn't check if that's only usable on unix machines or not, but it may be.

That's a very interesting and unexpected answer. But I am referring to a system that was definitely targeted at amateur astronomers. I think it might even have been free and required you to buy your own webcam.

#4 gcardona

gcardona

Messenger

• -----

Posted 09 December 2021 - 12:41 PM

Check out WinRoddier. It is a program that analyzes an out of focus star image taken with any camera and computes the Strehl ratio and wave-front errors. The site is in French, so you'll need Google Translate active unless you know French.

• gnowellsct likes this

#5 gnowellsct

gnowellsct

• topic starter

Posted 09 December 2021 - 08:30 PM

Check out WinRoddier. It is a program that analyzes an out of focus star image taken with any camera and computes the Strehl ratio and wave-front errors. The site is in French, so you'll need Google Translate active unless you know French.

This is it!  The Roddier test.  Thank you.  A lot of people were using this, I don't know if they know French.  I actually do,however.

Greg N

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics