•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

8.75" f/13 doublet, I kid you not

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 18 December 2021 - 05:36 PM

Today a fellow offered me an 8.75" f/13 OTA in exchange for my ES 127ED and I couldn't refuse. He's owned various Royce, AP, etc. scopes so I trust him. The scope started life  in the 1960s or 1970s, and an observatory was built around it. At some point the original owner dropped the lens and it has a 1/4" or so wide clamshell on one element, so a new cell was constructed to stop the scope down to 200mm, so it's now an f/15 system. It has an original Unitron focuser on it.

I move to Tucson in a few days, and won't be able to bring this with me for a while so it won't be till later next year that I get to work on this. 

Edit: Pics are posted below.

Edited by Augustus, 19 December 2021 - 11:55 AM.

• Paul Hyndman, deSitter, Pete W and 31 others like this

#2 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 December 2021 - 07:00 PM

The OTA is in the garage and barely fits without hitting the ceiling:

IMG_4004s.jpg

The objective is pretty clean.

IMG_3997s.jpg

Focuser adapts via a flange at the back which I'd love to take pics of were it not currently touching my ceiling.

IMG_3998s.jpg

There's a dew shield too.

Edited by Augustus, 18 December 2021 - 07:09 PM.

• okiestarman56, R Botero, steve t and 13 others like this

#3 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 18 December 2021 - 07:08 PM

Looks like a later made 70's focuser with them knobs. 

• steve t and Augustus like this

#4 39cross

39cross

Ranger 4

• Loc: Beverly, MA

Posted 18 December 2021 - 07:09 PM

Wow, that's amazing. The objective looks like a porthole from the Queen Mary.

Good luck with it, and with your move!
  • happylimpet and Augustus like this

#5 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 18 December 2021 - 07:14 PM

That's absolutely amazing. I thought anything bigger than 6 was a myth like a unicorn or

big foot or a sasquatch. Incredible!

Robert

• steve t, Augustus and Leia like this

#6 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 December 2021 - 07:14 PM

It was mounted in an observatory on a homemade GEM in Brookfield. Original owner died and 2nd owner elected to BUILD A WALL AROUND THE SCOPE, he sold the house a few years ago, third guy found the scope while trying to convert the observatory into a mancave and tried to donate the whole shebang to a club I'm in, they said no, I couldn't buy it at the time due to lack of a vehicle or expertise, it got sold to the previous owner and now it's mine.

The guy I got it from unfortunately trashed the GEM, the captain's wheel, and counterweights. The original baffles are also gone, for whatever reason.

IMG_0411.JPEG

You can see in the photo how the scope had a large enclosure built around it by the 2nd owner who wanted nothing to do with it.

The scope underwent a lot of modifications in its lifetime. The lens cell isn't original, the rest is.

Edited by Augustus, 18 December 2021 - 07:17 PM.

• R Botero, steve t, mdowns and 7 others like this

#7 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 December 2021 - 07:17 PM

My dream would be to have this housed permanently at a dark sky site, perhaps alongside my yet-to-be-built 40". 

I'm not that much of a refractor guy, so my goal as of currently is to repaint the tube, install baffles, clean the objective, figure out at least a temporary mounting solution (I do have that GEM from a 16" Starfinder) and work out some sort of arrangement where it can be housed and taken care of - as long as I can use it, of course!

• deSitter, PaulEK, steve t and 5 others like this

#8 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 18 December 2021 - 07:19 PM

Not sure i could lift that OTA up on a mount. Just think if it was complete with the mount from Unitron and all the uniclamps and guide scopes.

Edited by CHASLX200, 18 December 2021 - 07:20 PM.

• Augustus, Bowlerhat and Leia like this

#9 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 December 2021 - 07:28 PM

Not sure i could lift that OTA up on a mount. Just think if it was complete with the mount from Unitron and all the uniclamps and guide scopes.

I don't think it ever had the original mount. There was a Sears 3" refractor piggybacked on it. 

• Leia likes this

#10 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 18 December 2021 - 07:37 PM

Excellent! Wow Zane, I’m flabbergasted!

Same here!  When I saw this thread title, I thought, Zane's making a funny!  (Like those GW Auction Ads, where they'll call a Towa a Unitron because it has a Uni eyepiece with it.)

Yeah... why remove the BAFFLES?  (Not like they'd make this behemoth that much lighter!)

Gonna take one Hefty hefty hefty EQ...  since it's been modified already, maybe convert it to a folded refractor??

• steve t, Terra Nova, Augustus and 1 other like this

#11 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 December 2021 - 07:56 PM

Excellent! Wow Zane, I’m flabbergasted!

Same here!  When I saw this thread title, I thought, Zane's making a funny!  (Like those GW Auction Ads, where they'll call a Towa a Unitron because it has a Uni eyepiece with it.)

Yeah... why remove the BAFFLES?  (Not like they'd make this behemoth that much lighter!)

Gonna take one Hefty hefty hefty EQ...  since it's been modified already, maybe convert it to a folded refractor??

I'm wondering if the 1.75" shaft Starfinder GEM could hold it if I made some legs. Barring that, Berry style altaz. I can't afford anything else. Regardless, it basically can't leave my house. Getting it home was an interesting experience.

IMG_3996s.jpg

As of right now, I basically have 3 options once I repaint the tube, clean everything, and make some new baffles. I've already figured out how I'm going to do the baffles.

1. Truck or otherwise ship the empty OTA to Arizona and get a place with a big enough garage and decent enough skies at home that I can roll it outside (would be nice, but I'm not banking on it)
  2. Same as #1 but find someone in Arizona willing to help me with housing it 
  3. Restore it all here in CT and find a home for it locally, which I really don't want to do because I would rarely see it.

I want to fix this scope, and I want to use this scope, but housing it in a state where it's used more than once or twice a year is probably beyond my means. So I've got to work out some sort of permanent housing situation for it if I want to use it regularly.

I come back from AZ from July to at least September so I'm thinking I will work on the scope then and hopefully figure out what I'm going to do for an observatory for it.

In the meantime I can't exactly work on restoration right now so I'm going to be sending out a lot of emails trying to piece together the history.....

Edited by Augustus, 18 December 2021 - 07:58 PM.

• steve t, Exnihilo, Marc-Andre and 4 others like this

#12 Kasmos

Kasmos

Aurora

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 18 December 2021 - 07:57 PM

IMO, While it maybe practical, folding would destroy the Beauty of this Beast! grin.gif

Congrats Zane, on the find of a life time and the move to Tucson waytogo.gif

• Marc-Andre, Augustus and Leia like this

#13 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 December 2021 - 08:02 PM

IMO, While it maybe practical, folding would destroy the Beauty of this Beast! grin.gif

Congrats Zane, on the find of a life time and the move to Tucson waytogo.gif

I can't imagine folding it - the flat(s) required would be pretty big and expensive, the finished OTA would be enormously heavy and the machining would be beyond my means. 

Thank you! I've had several finds of a lifetime now - this, J.D's scope, the 24" mirror, the C11 I replaced the corrector on, and the 3.5" Fecker (although I didn't exactly find that one). Short of a 40" mirror it would be hard to top these! 

• steve t, Marc-Andre, Terra Nova and 5 others like this

#14 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 18 December 2021 - 08:17 PM

Definitely not a folded refractor! It need to be restored in all its long-scope glory! 

• steve t, mdowns, Marc-Andre and 7 others like this

#15 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 18 December 2021 - 09:44 PM

Cool find! If you're able to test it before you move, that might help you prioritize your choices of what to do with it. Maybe set it up on sawhorses or a couple of chairs, using a distant sun reflection as an artificial star?

Chip W. 

#16 Alan French

Alan French

Night Owl

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 18 December 2021 - 10:09 PM

Fold it "Newtonian style," as done by Henry Paul ("Telescopes for Stargazing," page 89).

One large flat at the bottom, a smaller flat feeding it to the eyepiece at the top. To make it a bit shorter, you could put that flat on the opposite side of the tube from the eyepiece.

Easier to mount too.

Clear skies, Alan 

Edited by Alan French, 18 December 2021 - 10:09 PM.

• DAVIDG and Bomber Bob like this

#17 Borodog

Borodog

Soyuz

Posted 18 December 2021 - 10:39 PM

I thought my 60mm was cool. Now you're just showing off.

Also, that is insane.

• William Whitaker, Marc-Andre, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#18 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 December 2021 - 11:14 PM

http://tucsonastrono...-our-dark-site/

• ShaulaB and Augustus like this

#19 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 December 2021 - 11:22 PM

Definitely one of the options I've considered

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#20 RichA

RichA

Aurora

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 19 December 2021 - 01:11 AM

I'm wondering if the 1.75" shaft Starfinder GEM could hold it if I made some legs. Barring that, Berry style altaz. I can't afford anything else. Regardless, it basically can't leave my house. Getting it home was an interesting experience.

attachicon.gifIMG_3996s.jpg

As of right now, I basically have 3 options once I repaint the tube, clean everything, and make some new baffles. I've already figured out how I'm going to do the baffles.

1. Truck or otherwise ship the empty OTA to Arizona and get a place with a big enough garage and decent enough skies at home that I can roll it outside (would be nice, but I'm not banking on it)
  3. Restore it all here in CT and find a home for it locally, which I really don't want to do because I would rarely see it.

I want to fix this scope, and I want to use this scope, but housing it in a state where it's used more than once or twice a year is probably beyond my means. So I've got to work out some sort of permanent housing situation for it if I want to use it regularly.

I come back from AZ from July to at least September so I'm thinking I will work on the scope then and hopefully figure out what I'm going to do for an observatory for it.

In the meantime I can't exactly work on restoration right now so I'm going to be sending out a lot of emails trying to piece together the history.....

Some kind of rising pier/tripod could conceivably make it somewhat portable, if no observatory is at hand.

#21 photiost

photiost

Gemini

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 19 December 2021 - 06:24 AM

Amazing find  ~~

I would bring the scope to Arizona.

This is a huge project, good luck !!

#22 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 19 December 2021 - 06:38 AM

attachicon.gifIMG_3996s.jpg

That Starliner mount would be like flex city kitty for that long arm of a tube.  I have seen big fracts on the Cave 2.5" mount.

• Bomber Bob likes this

#23 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 December 2021 - 09:16 AM

Definitely one of the options I've considered

Good luck with that.  If you can come to an arrangement with them I'll bet the scope gets used frequently.  From the article I saw it looks like that society does regular and frequent outreach.

• Augustus likes this

#24 PawPaw

PawPaw

Viking 1

• Loc: West Central Missouri

Posted 19 December 2021 - 09:37 AM

Congrats Zane it could  not have found a better home!

Don

• Augustus likes this

#25 Exnihilo

Exnihilo

Apollo

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 19 December 2021 - 09:52 AM

It was mounted in an observatory on a homemade GEM in Brookfield. Original owner died and 2nd owner elected to BUILD A WALL AROUND THE SCOPE, he sold the house a few years ago, third guy found the scope while trying to convert the observatory into a mancave and tried to donate the whole shebang to a club I'm in, they said no, I couldn't buy it at the time due to lack of a vehicle or expertise, it got sold to the previous owner and now it's mine.

The guy I got it from unfortunately trashed the GEM, the captain's wheel, and counterweights. The original baffles are also gone, for whatever reason.

You can see in the photo how the scope had a large enclosure built around it by the 2nd owner who wanted nothing to do with it.

The scope underwent a lot of modifications in its lifetime. The lens cell isn't original, the rest is.

Holy cow, actually built into a wall???!!!

This is your own scope, or will it end up at the Chiricahua site?

• Augustus likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics