•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

8.75" f/13 doublet, I kid you not

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#26 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 19 December 2021 - 10:11 AM

Holy cow, actually built into a wall???!!!

This is your own scope, or will it end up at the Chiricahua site?

It's my scope. That is one of the possibilities at the moment.

Yes, it was built into a wall

#27 walter a

walter a

Viking 1

• Loc: Prawda Manitoba Canada

Posted 19 December 2021 - 10:20 AM

Wow Zane, not often you get to hit the like button on a frac with such gargantuan proportions. Congrates and good luck with your latest project.

Edited by walter a, 19 December 2021 - 10:22 AM.

• Augustus likes this

#28 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 19 December 2021 - 10:48 AM

I would buy this book if you don't already have it and build a jumbo size Berry refractor

mount:

https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/B011SKJ042

Robert

• Exnihilo, Augustus and DouglasPaul like this

#29 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Viking 1

• Loc: Monroe Washington

Posted 19 December 2021 - 10:49 AM

It was mounted in an observatory on a homemade GEM in Brookfield. Original owner died and 2nd owner elected to BUILD A WALL AROUND THE SCOPE, he sold the house a few years ago, third guy found the scope while trying to convert the observatory into a mancave and tried to donate the whole shebang to a club I'm in, they said no, I couldn't buy it at the time due to lack of a vehicle or expertise, it got sold to the previous owner and now it's mine.

The guy I got it from unfortunately trashed the GEM, the captain's wheel, and counterweights. The original baffles are also gone, for whatever reason.

attachicon.gifIMG_0411.JPEG

You can see in the photo how the scope had a large enclosure built around it by the 2nd owner who wanted nothing to do with it.

The scope underwent a lot of modifications in its lifetime. The lens cell isn't original, the rest is.

I can't even imagine owning the house and not wanting anything to do with it. I understand that not everyone is interested in the universe, but how you could have something like that in your house and still remain disinterested is beyond me.

• steve t, Exnihilo, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#30 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 19 December 2021 - 10:59 AM

I can't even imagine owning the house and not wanting anything to do with it. I understand that not everyone is interested in the universe, but how you could have something like that in your house and still remain disinterested is beyond me.

I am reminded of a certain Cask of Amontillado! :lol:

• PaulEK, steve t, Exnihilo and 6 others like this

#31 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Viking 1

• Loc: Monroe Washington

Posted 19 December 2021 - 11:24 AM

I am reminded of a certain Cask of Amontillado! lol.gif

Certainly rubs you in that direction doesn't it?

• Terra Nova and Leia like this

#32 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 19 December 2021 - 11:36 AM

As I've said multiple times the scope is very obviously modified from the original and quite extensively at that. I am starting to attempt to do some research on the history of this scope but I do not appreciate the multiple snarky comments that have already been directed towards me privately in addition to claims that I am attempting to boast about this scope so as to re-sell it at an inflated price. I'm quite skeptical myself but the facts I currently have do seem to add up. Additionally I have zero, and I mean zero, plans to sell this. I got it for practically nothing and I've wanted it for years. 

Also, I made a typo in the OP - FL is 3300 mm

I would buy this book if you don't already have it and build a jumbo size Berry refractor

mount:

Robert

My current plan is to build at least a janky Berry mount for the scope to test it. 

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the mount had some sort of major problem that prevented it from functioning, but even then, building a wall around the scope isn't exactly reasonable.

Edited by Augustus, 19 December 2021 - 11:41 AM.

• steve t, Exnihilo and ShaulaB like this

#33 geovermont

geovermont

Messenger

• Loc: Vermont

Posted 19 December 2021 - 11:49 AM

If the optics are at all good I look forward to seeing this mammoth scope make at least a brief appearance at Stellafane someday. There would definitely be a line of people waiting to look through it. Good luck Zane!

• steve t, Marc-Andre, ShaulaB and 2 others like this

#34 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 19 December 2021 - 11:50 AM

If the optics are at all good I look forward to seeing this mammoth scope make at least a brief appearance at Stellafane someday. There would definitely be a line of people waiting to look through it. Good luck Zane!

Thank you! I think I can throw it back together and build a Berry mount with a month of work, so next year is possible. It'll probably be horrendously ugly, but it'll work.

Edited by Augustus, 19 December 2021 - 11:51 AM.

• steve t, rcwolpert and Bomber Bob like this

#35 William Whitaker

William Whitaker

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NE Tennessee

Posted 19 December 2021 - 12:14 PM

Just don't make a lamp out of it!

(...or an end table. rolleyes.gif )

• steve t, Marc-Andre, Terra Nova and 6 others like this

#36 photiost

photiost

Gemini

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 19 December 2021 - 01:39 PM

Thank you! I think I can throw it back together and build a Berry mount with a month of work, so next year is possible. It'll probably be horrendously ugly, but it'll work.

Yes please keep us posted on its progress ...maybe a picture every so often.

Good luck !!

• Augustus likes this

#37 Kasmos

Kasmos

Aurora

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 19 December 2021 - 02:15 PM

Ignore the haters. They are just jealous little people.

My thoughts. When you get a little time do a temporay mount like you mentioned. Afterall, who wouldn't want to at least look thru it. Then keep it if you can. You are young so should have lots of time to make it into something nice some day (on a big mount in your own observatory). You seem to be quite dedicated to the hobby (if you can call it that), so you can make it happen.

• steve t, BillShort, Marc-Andre and 6 others like this

#38 Pete W

Pete W

Viking 1

• Loc: Hutto, TX

Posted 19 December 2021 - 02:28 PM

An amazing find, congratulations!    Perhaps the old Herschel nomenclature of identifying scopes by their length, not aperture, should be resurrected.  The "ten-foot refractor" sounds pretty cool.  

• steve t, Exnihilo, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#39 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 19 December 2021 - 04:19 PM

The objective is pretty clean.

attachicon.gifIMG_3997s.jpg

Just look at that beauty..applause.gif applause.gif

• Augustus likes this

#40 Exnihilo

Exnihilo

Apollo

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 19 December 2021 - 04:44 PM

I'm wondering if the 1.75" shaft Starfinder GEM could hold it if I made some legs. Barring that, Berry style altaz. I can't afford anything else. Regardless, it basically can't leave my house. Getting it home was an interesting experience.

attachicon.gifIMG_3996s.jpg

As of right now, I basically have 3 options once I repaint the tube, clean everything, and make some new baffles. I've already figured out how I'm going to do the baffles.

1. Truck or otherwise ship the empty OTA to Arizona and get a place with a big enough garage and decent enough skies at home that I can roll it outside (would be nice, but I'm not banking on it)
  2. Same as #1 but find someone in Arizona willing to help me with housing it 
  3. Restore it all here in CT and find a home for it locally, which I really don't want to do because I would rarely see it.

I want to fix this scope, and I want to use this scope, but housing it in a state where it's used more than once or twice a year is probably beyond my means. So I've got to work out some sort of permanent housing situation for it if I want to use it regularly.

I come back from AZ from July to at least September so I'm thinking I will work on the scope then and hopefully figure out what I'm going to do for an observatory for it.

In the meantime I can't exactly work on restoration right now so I'm going to be sending out a lot of emails trying to piece together the history.....

Well, as you know the skies in AZ do tend to be nice, although they have gotten a little more murky the past few years with climate change ongoing.  Winters are the best, as you know.  Tucson is better then Phoenix, where I'm at.

Do you know the original source of the objective?  I don't recall seeing that in the thread.

#41 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 19 December 2021 - 06:01 PM

...I suppose I can understand why any reference to a specific provenance might be deemed verboten atm Zane...but your pik in Post #6 plus the new f/l figure has me still urging you to contact Alex Boot.

Anyone sending you "off" comments is only reflecting badly upon themselves...half your luck young fella! :)

• steve t, dave253, ShaulaB and 1 other like this

#42 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 19 December 2021 - 08:46 PM

Zane, you continue to amaze and inspire us. I’m sure you’ll come up with a workable mount. With a scope that size, any mount that allows you to point it at an object is a good one. If it’s also steady, it’s a great one! smile.gif

• Exnihilo, Bomber Bob and Augustus like this

#43 Tenacious

Tenacious

Viking 1

• Loc: Northern KY

Posted 19 December 2021 - 10:12 PM

Congrats!!! 

It's real shame that the EQ mount didn't survive.

What are the biggest pipe fittings available on the market?  wink.gif

• Augustus likes this

#44 KI5CAW

KI5CAW

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: East Mountains, New Mexico

Posted 19 December 2021 - 10:43 PM

I'd go with the modified Dobsonian. It will require a counterweight and the whole kit will be heavy. Good Luck!

• Augustus likes this

#45 jragsdale

jragsdale

Apollo

• Loc: Idaho

Posted 19 December 2021 - 10:44 PM

Amazing score! Can't wait to see the progress over the years as you breath a new life into this beast. Chromatic aberration should be on par with an 80mm f/6, so fairly filterable. Should be a fun project!

• Augustus and Leia like this

#46 RichA

RichA

Aurora

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 19 December 2021 - 11:15 PM

mount:

Robert

Good thing he has an aluminum tube.  If he did one following Berry's wood design, it would weight 200lbs. But Berry's raised Dob mount would be good.

Edited by RichA, 19 December 2021 - 11:15 PM.

• steve t, Exnihilo, Marc-Andre and 2 others like this

#47 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 19 December 2021 - 11:47 PM

Zane, you continue to amaze and inspire us. I’m sure you’ll come up with a workable mount. With a scope that size, any mount that allows you to point it at an object is a good one. If it’s also steady, it’s a great one! smile.gif

I'd go with the modified Dobsonian. It will require a counterweight and the whole kit will be heavy. Good Luck!

Amazing score! Can't wait to see the progress over the years as you breath a new life into this beast. Chromatic aberration should be on par with an 80mm f/6, so fairly filterable. Should be a fun project!

Good thing he has an aluminum tube.  If he did one following Berry's wood design, it would weight 200lbs. But Berry's raised Dob mount would be good.

Thanks guys!

The OTA is quite light, I think it would be a 1 person setup on an altaz mount were it not for the length. 

I have a lot of projects to work on now - 22" f/2.8, 40" f/4.5 and this. I'm gonna need a bigger shop....

• steve t, Marc-Andre, rcwolpert and 1 other like this

#48 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 20 December 2021 - 06:56 AM

He must live in a hot bed area with 1000's of scope deals like in Cali. Been in FL all my life and never had any deals to speak of.

• rcwolpert likes this

#49 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 20 December 2021 - 10:47 AM

Zane,

Two piece of advice. 1) Test the lens or have it tested before you spend a lot of time and money on it so you know exactly want you have especially since it has a chip. You don't know how far the stress has gone into the glass. 

2) I agree with Allen French that folding  the optical path with result in much more manageable size instrument. You can mount the OTA as a Dob. If the scope is too big it won't get used. 

Happy Holidays !

- Dave 

Edited by DAVIDG, 20 December 2021 - 02:49 PM.

• tim53, steve t, Dave Trott and 1 other like this

#50 Augustus

Augustus

Vendor

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 20 December 2021 - 11:31 AM

Zane,

Two piece of advice. 1) Test the lens or have it tested before you spend a lot of time and money on it so you know exactly want you have especially since it has a chip. You don't know have far the stress has gone into the glass. 

2) I agree with Allen French that folding  the optical path with result in much more manageable size instrument. You can mount the OTA as a Dob. If the scope is too big it won't get used. 

Happy Holidays !

- Dave 

Could I do DPAC with this thing? Just need to get ahold of a 10" flat, put this thing on some sawhorses and I'd be all set.

• steve t, Marc-Andre, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics