•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jaegers 6" f/15 Question

• Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

#201 jragsdale

jragsdale

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Idaho

Posted 11 January 2022 - 12:15 AM

I'm not sure a drain pipe wil fit. It might be different but I would think it uses the same pull tube that a normal Unitron focuser uses. If you still have a 114 you could borrow it to check the fit.

I had a feeling it would fit, but didn't think of that. Fits perfectly! So I can use this one from my 114 until I can find a suitable replacement.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20220110_221332.jpg

• mdowns, Marc-Andre, Terra Nova and 4 others like this

#202 jragsdale

jragsdale

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2022 - 03:03 PM

My friend locally is a lathe master and whipped up this adapter for me for the 2.7" Jaegers focuser. This converts the big gaping opening to M63 threads so I can screw on an M63 to 2" adapter or other accessories. He also drilled and tapped 2 more set screws for the focuser so it will be held at 3 points 120 degrees apart. Nice flat, level and secure! 👍

Attached Thumbnails

• 20220111_125019.jpg

• Joe Bergeron, photiost, deepwoods1 and 7 others like this

#203 photiost

photiost

Gemini

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 11 January 2022 - 03:11 PM

My friend locally is a lathe master and whipped up this adapter for me for the 2.7" Jaegers focuser. This converts the big gaping opening to M63 threads so I can screw on an M63 to 2" adapter or other accessories. He also drilled and tapped 2 more set screws for the focuser so it will be held at 3 points 120 degrees apart. Nice flat, level and secure!

Nice to have a friend with a lathe who knows what they are doing.

Looks great !!

#204 jragsdale

jragsdale

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 11 January 2022 - 03:31 PM

Nice to have a friend with a lathe who knows what they are doing.

Looks great !!

Yeah, I'm going to owe him a lot of beer and aluminum after this project. lol.gif

• Bomber Bob likes this

#205 deepwoods1

deepwoods1

Vanguard

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 11 January 2022 - 04:09 PM

Yummmmm Beeeerrrrr.......

• jragsdale likes this

#206 norvegicus

norvegicus

Viking 1

• Loc: en route

Posted 11 January 2022 - 04:34 PM

That is a golden resource.

• deepwoods1 and jragsdale like this

#207 Joe Bergeron

Joe Bergeron

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 12 January 2022 - 01:20 AM

I have a 3” cell that I got from Jaegers in 1986. It looks just like yours, and never had any paint. 

• Bomber Bob and jragsdale like this

#208 stevep

stevep

Ranger 4

• Loc: UK, Weather sucks

Posted 12 January 2022 - 03:54 PM

I also had the 3'' version just smooth anodised,

Small.jpg

Steve

• mdowns, Terra Nova, PawPaw and 4 others like this

#209 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 12 January 2022 - 05:00 PM

Here's a early 3-1/4" you can see the cells differed over the years.

Robert

post-50896-0-59158700-1458596895_thumb.jpg

• stevep, mdowns, Terra Nova and 5 others like this

#210 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 12 January 2022 - 05:03 PM

Y'all are making me tear-up -- I miss Jaegers!!  (I never did find that 1970s Jaegers 80mm lens & cell that I had packed away... somewhere.)

• jragsdale likes this

#211 CltFlyboy

CltFlyboy

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 12 January 2022 - 05:21 PM

The cell for my 6" f/5 that came out of a complete original Jaegers scope someone parted out last year (gasp!):

Attached Thumbnails

• Jaegers 6 inch objective cell.jpg

• mdowns, Terra Nova, PawPaw and 2 others like this

#212 Kasmos

Kasmos

Aurora

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 12 January 2022 - 09:48 PM

The cell for my 6" f/5 that came out of a complete original Jaegers scope someone parted out last year (gasp!):

I believe your's is a Cheshire.

It was on CL before the seller parted it out on ebay.

Ches-07 copy.jpg

This is the very same telescope before being parted out.

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob, jragsdale and 1 other like this

#213 CltFlyboy

CltFlyboy

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 13 January 2022 - 08:05 AM

Yep, that's my lens and de shield with the missing paint! smile.gif

• Kasmos and jragsdale like this

#214 Spacechicken

Spacechicken

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 January 2022 - 09:56 AM

I have an unused 6" f15 Jaegers lens in its original shipping box that I'd like to build up into a scope. I have an appropriate tube set aside but have been puzzling about the best way to go about making a cell for the lens. It's possible to get 6" abs pipe connections and I'm leaning in that direction. I'm fairly confident that the abs could be turned on a lathe to accommodate the lens and tube.
Am I way off base with a plastic cell of this size? Budget and what I can do myself is a consideration. My tube is fiberglass and Ive got a Cave Astrola pier to put it all on.
  • jragsdale likes this

#215 PawPaw

PawPaw

Viking 1

• Loc: West Central Missouri

Posted 13 January 2022 - 11:20 AM

I have an unused 6" f15 Jaegers lens in its original shipping box that I'd like to build up into a scope. I have an appropriate tube set aside but have been puzzling about the best way to go about making a cell for the lens. It's possible to get 6" abs pipe connections and I'm leaning in that direction. I'm fairly confident that the abs could be turned on a lathe to accommodate the lens and tube.
Am I way off base with a plastic cell of this size? Budget and what I can do myself is a consideration. My tube is fiberglass and Ive got a Cave Astrola pier to put it all on.

There is one available here on CN:

https://www.cloudyni...ctor-lens-cell/

• SkipW and Spacechicken like this

#216 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 13 January 2022 - 02:38 PM

Y'all are making me tear-up -- I miss Jaegers!!  (I never did find that 1970s Jaegers 80mm lens & cell that I had packed away... somewhere.)

I was so dumb as a kid about these things! I figured those Jaegers objectives were junk, because they appeared in an oddball catalog with diagrams that seemed, well, primitive. But I knew every page in that catalog! I can still see the red, white, and black cover!

-drl

• mdowns, Bomber Bob and Kasmos like this

#217 jragsdale

jragsdale

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2022 - 12:42 AM

Speaking of the Jaegers lens cell. My lathe master friend slash machinist slash engineer came to my rescue again. The cell had 4 holes for the dew shield and only 2 for the OTA. All screws were flanged flat head self tapping, so of course whatever threads were there were shredded. So he added 2 more holes on the OTA side, drilled out and tapped all 8 holes with matching threads and put some button head torx machine screws and slightly elongated the drill holes on the OTA side to allow for minor collimation adjustments. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20220115_223341.jpg

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#218 jragsdale

jragsdale

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2022 - 12:48 AM

For the Schaefer mount, the rear thrust washer that is used as the clutch for the RA axis was missing, so I had to have one fabricated. I measured it out at 2.25" OD, 1.325" ID and 1/4" thick Nylon or HDPE. A very large and unusual size. I contacted New Process Fibre Company in Greenwood, DE about ordering a custom thrust washer and they offered to send me one of a smaller internal dimension for free as a sample. I was able to crudely enlarge the internal diameter and it should work just fine for this task. Can't beat free! And they mailed me 3!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20220115_222739.jpg

• Sean Cunneen, deepwoods1, Marc-Andre and 3 others like this

#219 Kasmos

Kasmos

Aurora

Posted 16 January 2022 - 03:29 AM

Speaking of the Jaegers lens cell. My lathe master friend slash machinist slash engineer came to my rescue again. The cell had 4 holes for the dew shield and only 2 for the OTA. All screws were flanged flat head self tapping, so of course whatever threads were there were shredded. So he added 2 more holes on the OTA side, drilled out and tapped all 8 holes with matching threads and put some button head torx machine screws and slightly elongated the drill holes on the OTA side to allow for minor collimation adjustments. 

Do the threaded holes go thru the part of the cell that is threaded for the retaining ring? 

One reason I ask, is when building my 4,  I followed the instructions and drilled and tapped only the holes in the tube so the screws only hold the cell in place by pressure. They called them setscrews. I always thought about changing that but when refurbishing the scope I realised it meant drilling and tapping the section of the cell where the retaining ring's threads are inside and it's too thin not to drill and tap all the way thru it's wall. BTW, the instruction are the same for the 4 and the 6 and they say to only use two setscrews for the cell and two for the focuser, but I used three for both and only one for the dewshield.

Edited by Kasmos, 16 January 2022 - 03:31 AM.

#220 jragsdale

jragsdale

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2022 - 03:54 AM

Do the threaded holes go thru the part of the cell that is threaded for the retaining ring? 

One reason I ask, is when building my 4,  I followed the instructions and drilled and tapped only the holes in the tube so the screws only hold the cell in place by pressure. They called them setscrews. I always thought about changing that but when refurbishing the scope I realised it meant drilling and tapping the section of the cell where the retaining ring's threads are inside and it's too thin not to drill and tap all the way thru it's wall. BTW, the instruction are the same for the 4 and the 6 and they say to only use two setscrews for the cell and two for the focuser, but I used three for both and only one for the dewshield.

That's why I delegated to the master; he realized this too so actually ground cutting flutes into a screw and used that as a bottoming tap when making the threaded holes on the lens side so they didn't go all the way through.

#221 Kasmos

Kasmos

Aurora

Posted 16 January 2022 - 04:13 AM

That's why I delegated to the master; he realized this too so actually ground cutting flutes into a screw and used that as a bottoming tap when making the threaded holes on the lens side so they didn't go all the way through.

I didn't see a hole poking thru the treads so I wondered how he tapped it so shallow. The 4's cell wall is very thin (maybe less than 1/8") so I doubt there's a way to do it. I thought of flipping the cell and reversing the lens and drill thru the unthreaded side but it might throw off the distance of the lens to the baffles etc. It sure would make me rest better by securing the cell that way. 

#222 jragsdale

jragsdale

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 16 January 2022 - 04:18 AM

I didn't see a hole poking thru the treads so I wondered how he tapped it so shallow. The 4's cell wall is very thin (maybe less than 1/8") so I doubt there's a way to do it. I thought of flipping the cell and reversing the lens and drill thru the unthreaded side but it might throw off the distance of the lens to the baffles etc. It sure would make me rest better by securing the cell that way. 

I was shocked how the whole thing was held on by 2 small self tapping screws! Which eventually wouldn't have anything to bite on either, so it was a recipe for disaster. This way its fairly future proof, and with torx screws should keep a future busy body from messing with the collimation as well.

• Bomber Bob and Kasmos like this

#223 orion61

orion61

Vendor - Clear Edge Optical

• Vendors
  • Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 17 January 2022 - 02:13 AM

I haven't read the whole thread , but go for it before the guy comes to his senses!
Don't try to pull the lenses or a lot clamshell chip!
It is big and bulky, If you have space and can leave it set up before rolling it out.....perfect!
If you will use it, it is a good deal! Most were decent lenses!

Duane

• Terra Nova likes this

#224 jragsdale

jragsdale

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2022 - 11:03 AM

I haven't read the whole thread , but go for it before the guy comes to his senses!

You should definitely read the thread, I got the scope and lots of updates since then.

#225 jragsdale

jragsdale

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2022 - 07:29 PM

After my discovery that the 75/1200mm "finderscope" was actually a classic Unitron lens mounted in a crude homemade scope comprised of plumbing parts and a beat up old Jaegers focuser, I knew I needed to class this one up a bit. Especially after receiving the smaller 3" f/5 finder and seeing it had a Unitron focuser. So I found a 3" Unitron focuser and Dew shield to replace the plumbing parts. And I'll probably outsource some lathe work to my friend to make an adapter to bring everything together nicely on this tube. Should be a nice complete Unitron scope when all said and done!

Attached Thumbnails

• 20220117_171854.jpg
  • 20220117_172051.jpg

• deepwoods1, mdowns, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics