•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Learning about classic scopes

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rick

Rick

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:00 PM

Hi,

I just made a Unitron scope deal for a buyer on AM. I knew nothing about these scopes other than they were beat up and probably not much to look through. But it was fun finding them and I'm afraid I might be getting the classic scope bug.

I was wondering if there is a definitive book on telescope collectibles I could consult to find out more about the market for classic scopes? Or is the knowledge gained just by hanging out here? :grin:

thanks,
Rick

#2 JIMZ7

JIMZ7

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 October 2006 - 06:42 AM

Rick you may have seen already "telescopebluebook.com" which might help someone like you and I on older scopes. I had probably 15 scopes in the past 50 years. There were 3 or 4 that were great scopes! I have a 2.4" Mongomery Wards refractor that has great optics and I use it more than my 8" classic Meade reflector. It is easier to bring out of the garage. The Unitron should have great optics! It was the best of the 50's and 60's in the U.S.A. I use a hybrid diagonal in order to use my RG Ortho's. I'm thinking of upgrading the diagonal to 1-1/4"............Jim

#3 jsiska

jsiska

Viking 1

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:59 PM

Rick,

Although the latest edition of Philip S. Harrington's book Star Ware is scheduled to be published in (I believe) March of 2007, his third edition has a list of "Some of the Best Telescopes of Yesteryear," on page 180. Also his second edition has a similar list on page 110. He has some information on classic scopes on his Yahoo website:

http://tech.groups.y...group/StarWare/

Terence Dickinson & Alan Dyer's book, The BACKYARD ASTRONOMERS GUIDE, pp 60-61 lists "Great Telescopes of the Past" and "Used Telescopes to Avoid".

Todd Gross reviews many now older telescopes on his website at:

http://www.weatherma...m/wxastrob1.htm

Ed Ting reviews now older scopes on his web site at:

http://www.scopereviews.com/index.html

Hope this helps,
Jim

#4 Rick

Rick

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 13 October 2006 - 03:50 PM

Thanks!

-Rick

#5 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:36 PM

Rick -

I've taken up a recent interest in vintage small Japanese refractors. After a lot of Googling, I (re)discovered that CN is one the best sources for vintage scope information. The archive of this particular forum probably represents one of the most exhaustive on the web, on this particular subject.

I frequent thrift stores and garage sales from time to time, and now I look at old binoculars and telescopes with a different eye than I did before I discovered stargazing.

Clear dark skies...

MikeG

#6 trainsktg

trainsktg

Aurora

Posted 13 October 2006 - 07:10 PM

I (re)discovered that CN is one the best sources for vintage scope information.

This is also what introduced me to CN. I was 'googling' for an instruction book for my 2.4" Discoverer.

Keith

#7 Rick

Rick

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 13 October 2006 - 07:58 PM

Here is a pic of the 2 Polarex scopes I help a AM'er acquire last week... a 60mm/FL700 and 60mm/FL500. Despite the shabby tube condition, the lens' looked to be in good shape! I assume the buyer plans on restoring them.

-Rick

Attached Thumbnails

• 1196744-CIMG0327 (Small).JPG

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics