•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ADC Setup Advice

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 UnguardedPeach

UnguardedPeach

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 December 2021 - 12:05 AM

I received a ZWO ADC and 3x Barlow for Christmas, and I wanted to get some advice on how to use it.

I've got a celestron edge hd 800 and asi1600mm pro. I see some videos and answers from other sites on setting it up with a color camera but not much for a mono camera. Any advice on this?

Also, is there a specific order to set all this up in? ADC -> Barlow? Barlow -> ADC?

Thanks in advance!

#2 Ittaku

Ittaku

Gemini

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 26 December 2021 - 12:46 AM

You can put the ADC anywhere in the imaging train but its effect is magnified if further from the camera. You can have finer adjustment when it is after the barlow and just before the camera, but of course pushing the barlow away from the camera increases its magnification so take that into account. It's probably best to put the ADC immediately after the camera for the finest adjustment. Using an ADC with a mono camera is trickier than with a colour camera. There are basically two main ways to use it in this setting - use a OSC camera to set the ADC before switching to the mono camera, or get yourself a W47 filter which passes both violet and infrared and align the two images with the ADC before beginning your imaging.

• gregghallinan likes this

#3 phileefan

phileefan

Apollo

• Loc: Williamsport, PA

Posted 26 December 2021 - 08:09 AM

To give you an idea, here is my setup. I have a 1.5x barlow screwed into the front of my ADC.

The 3x barlow might be a bit much though. The general rule of thumb is 5 x camera um. 5 x 3.8 = f19 thereabouts. With your scope, a 2x barlow would get you near f20. 

Hope this helps! Clear skies. 

20190727_120521 copy.jpg

• Walter T likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics