•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What will the new generation of classics be like

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#126 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 08 January 2022 - 10:36 AM

I would say:  The Future belongs to those who Show Up.

Our Gen's Classics were made in the 1970s & earlier.  Refractors predominate.  Why?  They're small, simple, low maintenance, and highly survivable.  Reflectors & CATs from those decades generally aren't.  Yes, rarity can make a particular scope collectible, but in terms of sheer numbers...

What brand new scopes are people currently buying?   I bet the numbers still favor refractors.  Tak & Vixen make other types of scopes, so folks have choices.  In fact, new hobbyists have the largest selection of new scopes EVER in the history of our hobby.  And, they're still buying refractors...

• Terra Nova and Mountaineer370 like this

#127 clamchip

clamchip

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle

Posted 08 January 2022 - 11:02 AM

Funny thing about the Dobsonian, it needed to be old enough for me to be interested!

I'm sure interested now, no other 16 inch is going to fit in your average automobile!

It has been good timing too because my old eyes love the bright view!

Never before have I worn sunglasses to observe the moon!

Robert!

• Jon Isaacs, PawPaw, Nick Will and 1 other like this

#128 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 08 January 2022 - 05:06 PM

IF Ole BB lived out in the country, I'd have me an old all-manual 8" / 10" Newt on an alt/az that I could wheel out onto a concrete porch...

I think that lifestyles also drive scope buying.  Who can predict future lifestyles?  Before the Lock Downs, most people drove to work.  Because of & during the Lock Down, workers & companies figured out that the laptop-set didn't need to be onsite.  They could do most / all their work from anywhere with good Internet service.  I did WFH (Work From Home) for a year; and, now my company has a 50/50 staffing split, with rotations (on any given day, 1/2 the workers at home, the other 1/2 onsite).  Our Daughter has been a 100% WFH mid-level exec for going on 5 years now...

In that situation, a younger BB could have a C11 / C14 in a roll-off roof observatory (or in a clean shed).  When I said I liked Robert's "C14 Cart" I meant it!!  I still wouldn't want to climb a ladder to look in an eyepiece, but a large fast Newt that hugs the ground?  Why not?!  With dark skies, I'd want one... 

• Jon Isaacs and Augustus like this

#129 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Soyuz

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 10 January 2022 - 03:53 PM

Most likely the AWB retractable tabletop Dob will make the cut as a future desirable classic.
  • brian dewelles and Augustus like this

#130 Mitrovarr

Mitrovarr

Skylab

• Loc: Boise, Idaho

Posted 11 January 2022 - 12:18 AM

What brand new scopes are people currently buying? I bet the numbers still favor refractors.

Do you really think so? If I had to guess, I'd say #1 is department store scopes which are mostly small reflectors, and #2 would either be SCTs or dobs.

The super experienced people on here who are obsessive about gear (me included, of course) all seem to accumulate apos, but the people I see in real life who have telescopes mostly have one 8-10" dob or 6-8" computerized SCT. There must be a staggering number of Nexstar SEs in the world.
  • Jon Isaacs and Augustus like this

#131 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 11 January 2022 - 02:52 AM

and #2 would either be SCTs or dobs.

I'd put it on maks and dobs., more on dobs.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics