•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Craigslist,eBay and other vintage/classic telescope ads

• Please log in to reply
580 replies to this topic

#51 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 04 January 2022 - 08:11 AM

Speaking of brass, I wish someone would buy this and save me from doing something stupid!

https://www.ebay.com...GYAAOSwW0lhy2O-

I vacillate on buying it every day. I need it like a hole in the head but it sure is pretty. It looks like a Skylight Telescope. I know, I know, it’s a Towa!  foreheadslap.gif But at 80mm and F15 it’s probably pretty good. Isn’t that the Good Towa? It would look lovely on my TeleVue Gibralter Mount and tall wood tripod and I have a mounting plate for the Gibralter saddle that would work perfect with those rings. hmm.gif

• deSitter, SandyHouTex, steve t and 5 others like this

#52 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Soyuz

• Loc: Nutmeg State

Posted 04 January 2022 - 08:29 AM

I had the Meade 314 in brass    it was pretty darn  good     it is up at my friend's farm in Maine   It was a Mizar I think   and  not f 15   

I think the one above would be better to have than any knock off brass prettyboyscope 

on another note     this   DS 10   made the thread  three months ago at 400    now  at 375   it was put on  a Dob base     if I was not trying to make a Dob out of a rescue 72 inch tube   i might investigate this one    seems short and stubby compared to my long fatboy 72x12

https://newhaven.cra...7419947587.html

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 04 January 2022 - 08:39 AM.

• SandyHouTex and Terra Nova like this

#53 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 04 January 2022 - 08:36 AM

I had the Meade 314 in brass    it was pretty darn  good    I have it up at my friend's farm in Maine   It was a Mizar I think   and  not f 15   

I think the one above would be better to have than any knock off brass prettyboyscope 

The ad says that it’s brass plate not solid, but it must be pretty thick as it looks in good shape. I really hate the focuser tho. No pic of the objective but Bill Vorce is honest and he says its in good shape. Collimatable cell too.

Edited by Terra Nova, 04 January 2022 - 08:38 AM.

• SandyHouTex and Defenderslideguitar like this

#54 norvegicus

norvegicus

Viking 1

• Loc: en route

Posted 04 January 2022 - 09:09 AM

Speaking of brass, I wish someone would buy this and save me from doing something stupid!

I vacillate on buying it every day. I need it like a hole in the head but it sure is pretty. It looks like a Skylight Telescope. I know, I know, it’s a Towa!  foreheadslap.gif But at 80mm and F15 it’s probably pretty good. Isn’t that the Good Towa? It would look lovely on my TeleVue Gibralter Mount and tall wood tripod and I have a mounting plate for the Gibralter saddle that would work perfect with those rings. hmm.gif

I think that's the actual scope that ScopeJunkie returned to the seller as not acceptable.

• Terra Nova likes this

#55 RichA

RichA

Aurora

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 04 January 2022 - 09:53 AM

That's the UIT, not the BBXRT. 

Thanks, that's even less of a conventional telescope  than the UIT. 

#56 Van Do9:3

Van Do9:3

Viking 1

• Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 04 January 2022 - 10:28 AM

The ad says that it’s brass plate not solid, but it must be pretty thick as it looks in good shape. I really hate the focuser tho. No pic of the objective but Bill Vorce is honest and he says its in good shape. Collimatable cell too.

Thanks for the link Terra. I miss Scopehead Bill. 

• Terra Nova likes this

#57 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 04 January 2022 - 10:39 AM

That sure is pretty.  I’ll bet you could get it for $225.

• Terra Nova likes this

#58 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Apollo

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 04 January 2022 - 10:41 AM

Is it missing a piece, screws, and thumb screw on the focus tube, that adds tension to and locks the extending tube?  Just 3 holes shown.  The two outer threaded ones could be stripped. 

Edited by Marc-Andre, 04 January 2022 - 10:53 AM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#59 jrussell

jrussell

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 04 January 2022 - 10:51 AM

I always find it interesting what y'all come across, and so when I saw this I thought it needed to be shared here. The pictures are really not that great and the only indication of what it is, is a pic of the Edscorp label which for me wasn't a lot to go on. After doing a search best I could come up with was it's a 1950's Palomar Jr.

https://www.facebook...68094510249905/

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob, jragsdale and 3 others like this

#60 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Vanguard

• Loc: 76707

Posted 04 January 2022 - 11:20 AM

Canton TX is about two hours one way for me but I don't do Facebook. I would like to take a look at it so if someone could reach out to the seller and PM me contact info I would be grateful.
Russ
  • PawPaw and jrussell like this

#61 PawPaw

PawPaw

Viking 1

• Loc: West Central Missouri

Posted 04 January 2022 - 11:26 AM

Canton TX is about two hours one way for me but I don't do Facebook. I would like to take a look at it so if someone could reach out to the seller and PM me contact info I would be grateful.
Russ

Russ......I own one of these and they are the earliest version of Edmund's 4.25 Palomar jr.  1954 was the year they debuted.  What is more interesting to me in the pic are the lens laying on the grass.......What are the chances these are Edmund objectives....4" maybe?  

Can't help with facebook but good luck.......I would ask my nephew to reach out for me if it were that close.  

cheers

Don

• MisterDan, Defenderslideguitar, Russell Smith and 1 other like this

#62 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Soyuz

• Loc: Nutmeg State

Posted 04 January 2022 - 11:48 AM

I dont know about that one      he has what looks like clear lens on the grass   just laying there       

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 04 January 2022 - 03:00 PM.

• jrussell likes this

#63 norvegicus

norvegicus

Viking 1

• Loc: en route

Posted 04 January 2022 - 12:11 PM

My impression is that the seller thinks those lenses are "accessories".

#64 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 04 January 2022 - 12:12 PM

That is an overpriced Towa 339.. Same as the three I posted earlier here  link Towa 339  If someone offered me $250 for each of my OTA, I'd have to ask WHY?! before I'd sell them. Then I'd be tickled to do so.

The brass plated is missing that tension screw and it should have one, pertinent part. I'd honestly value a complete set up functional with tripod and mount at $250 with basic accessories like diag. and eyepiece, maybe something else too.  Fully loaded with original stuff I'd feel maxed at $300 for value to a person looking.  Biased: I'm not a fan of the brass finish. 

Edited by apfever, 04 January 2022 - 12:15 PM.

• Terra Nova and Kasmos like this

#65 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 04 January 2022 - 12:30 PM

I always find it interesting what y'all come across, and so when I saw this I thought it needed to be shared here. The pictures are really not that great and the only indication of what it is, is a pic of the Edscorp label which for me wasn't a lot to go on. After doing a search best I could come up with was it's a 1950's Palomar Jr.

I have that scope and some parts. Mine is labeled ANCHOR before Edmund bought them out. 

The stuff on the ground looks like the primary and no cell. There is part of a spider assembly no secondary shown. The two clear lens are probably a single achromat maybe 3", or 76.2mm, or 80mm or so. The other lens' look like camera or projector assemblies of dubious astronomical use. It should be complete and functioning in nice shape for $100.

#66 DouglasPaul

DouglasPaul

Viking 1

• Loc: Monroe Washington

Posted 04 January 2022 - 12:33 PM

For $40.00 more you can get this one without the lenses laying in the grass.

https://www.facebook...story_type=post

• jroo likes this

#67 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 04 January 2022 - 12:54 PM

I think that's the actual scope that ScopeJunkie returned to the seller as not acceptable.

Thanks. I’d already decided that I wasn’t going to get it. I’ve been out most of the morning so I’m just now seeing your comments. I gave it some thought earlier today, but like I said, I needed it like a hole in the head. I don’t need anymore telescopes, and certainly not that one.

Edited by Terra Nova, 04 January 2022 - 01:06 PM.

• Marc-Andre and norvegicus like this

#68 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 04 January 2022 - 12:56 PM

Is it missing a piece, screws, and thumb screw on the focus tube, that adds tension to and locks the extending tube?  Just 3 holes shown.  The two outer threaded ones could be stripped. 

Yeah, I saw that a week ago. Like I said I hated the focuser. And I really just can’t bring myself to buy another achromat.

• Marc-Andre likes this

#69 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 04 January 2022 - 01:02 PM

That is an overpriced Towa 339.. Same as the three I posted earlier here  link Towa 339  If someone offered me $250 for each of my OTA, I'd have to ask WHY?! before I'd sell them. Then I'd be tickled to do so.

The brass plated is missing that tension screw and it should have one, pertinent part. I'd honestly value a complete set up functional with tripod and mount at $250 with basic accessories like diag. and eyepiece, maybe something else too.  Fully loaded with original stuff I'd feel maxed at $300 for value to a person looking.  Biased: I'm not a fan of the brass finish. 

I agree, it’s not my first rodeo as Tom Selleck would say. Aside from the crappy focuser, the brass plating gave me pause. That it’s held up all these years though, might indicate it’s fairly decent, thick plating. I like brass telescopes but not brass plated telescopes. My only brass scope is real brass not plating and that’s my Coronade solar scope.

Edited by Terra Nova, 04 January 2022 - 01:03 PM.

• norvegicus likes this

#70 Kasmos

Kasmos

Aurora

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 04 January 2022 - 02:48 PM

Terra, check this post by Scopejunkie. He bought it and returned it.

https://www.cloudyni...ere/?p=11584358

I think it's been ruined. IMO anything brass plated sucks. When it tarnishes you are out of luck.

If somebody really wants a brass Meade these have solid brass tubes

Meade Brass telescopes copy.jpg

I'll bet some of the other hardware is plated, and since everything else is black it's not nearly as atractive as a antique brass scope.

Personally I still wouldn't bother.

Edited by Kasmos, 04 January 2022 - 02:54 PM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#71 Russell Smith

Russell Smith

Vanguard

• Loc: 76707

Posted 04 January 2022 - 03:31 PM

Very old and very cool Refractor
How high will it go?

https://www.ebay.com...1-127632-2357-0
  • mdowns, John Higbee and Defenderslideguitar like this

#72 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 04 January 2022 - 03:36 PM

I think it's been ruined. IMO anything brass plated sucks. When it tarnishes you are out of luck.

attachicon.gifMeade Brass telescopes copy.jpg

I'll bet some of the other hardware is plated, and since everything else is black it's not nearly as atractive as a antique brass scope.

Thanks Chris, apparently the brass plating is not original. I had qualm about that, and now the truth comes out. I think the seller is not being upfront on this. I had not seen ScopeJunkie’s post of the 23rd of last month. I was quite busy with holiday preparations at that time and missed it. Had I known it wasn’t original, I would not have even considered it. The things that kept me from acting on it were (1) the crappy focuser that couldn’t easily be converted from 0.965” to 1.25” and it’s missing lock, (2) the fact that it was a Towa, (3) there were NO pictures of the objective, and (4) I really didn’t need it. I’m certainly glad the little voice inside me kept saying no and I listened.

• Kasmos likes this

#73 Kasmos

Kasmos

Aurora

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 04 January 2022 - 03:47 PM

Thanks Chris, apparently the brass plating is not original. I had qualm about that, and now the truth comes out. I think the seller is not being upfront on this. I had not seen ScopeJunkie’s post of the 23rd of last month. I was quite busy with holiday preparations at that time and missed it. Had I known it wasn’t original, I would not have even considered it. The things that kept me from acting on it were (1) the crappy focuser that couldn’t easily be converted from 0.965” to 1.25” and it’s missing lock, (2) the fact that it was a Towa, (3) there were NO pictures of the objective, and (4) I really didn’t need it. I’m certainly glad the little voice inside me kept saying no and I listened.

As you mentioned in another thread, look for a brass TV 102 wink.gif

BTW, I looked around the site and Barry had one of the Meade 314s (Towa) with a brass tube and said it was very good.

https://www.cloudyni...eade-model-314/

• tim53, Terra Nova, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#74 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 04 January 2022 - 03:52 PM

As you mentioned in another thread, look for a brass TV 102 wink.gif

BTW, I looked around the site and Barry had one of the Meade 314s (Towa) with a brass tube and said it was very good.

https://www.cloudyni...eade-model-314/

I think I’ll just look for a brass TV102. I’ve wanted one of those forever. As far as that ersatz brass Meade 339 on eBay, I really would have expected more from Bill Vorce. I don’t think he’s being forthright.

• tim53 and Mountaineer370 like this

#75 RichA

RichA

Aurora

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 04 January 2022 - 05:38 PM

attachicon.gifMeade Brass telescopes copy.jpg

Coating brass so it stays pristine for 100 years is an art lost 100 years ago...

• Terra Nova likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics