•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

First attempt at Cleaning SCT Corrector

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 May 2004 - 09:39 AM

Well....I did it. I cleaned my SCT corrector plate. Not sure if I did it justice or not. I bought a really soft facial make-up brush with a blunt-end to dust the corrector with first. That went ok. Then, I had mixed 60% distilled water and 40% Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) together in a very clean spray bottle. Here's where the troubles began:

Scope is now dust free from brushing......
I use sterile cotton balls and Kleenex, unscented, white tissues and starting at the inner part of corrector working out to the edge, I wet a cotton ball and gentle swipe.
Cotton sticks and fuzzes the corrector. So I wet a Kleenex and try again. Kleenex removes fuzz, but when it dries, leaves Kleenex dust all over scope.
And so this goes on for about a half hour....wiping, drying, and dusting.
When I finished it looked better than before I started, but it still have a couple of little, tiny spots on it. Also may have a streak or two.....I won't know for sure until I take it outside in bright daylight.
All I can say is......What a major pain in the _ _ _ !
:shocked:

I will NEVER take my scope outside EVER again without a dewshield!!

Speaking of dewshields....my Kendrick dewshield showed up yesterday! :D Wow! It is really nice!
The Baadar Solar Filter looks Awesome as well! Can't wait to get my scope outside this weekend and check it out!

On another note.... I am having my scope collimated tonight by Laser Collimation at the St. Louis Astronomy Association Meeting. This should be interesting and hopefully I'll start seeing crisper views with my scope! Well, I should, unless I have streaks on my corrector from my attempted cleaning! :whistle: :bangbangbang:

#2 bierbelly

bierbelly

Voyager 1

Posted 21 May 2004 - 10:51 AM

Hey, welcome to reality. Nothing stays clean when it's out of the shipping carton. I'd be really surprised if the streaks cause any problems...except to your ego.

#3 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 May 2004 - 10:56 AM

Angel,

I don't think the streaks will be much of a problem, plus in one sense they will be clean streaks. :grin:

I also doubt they'll effect the performance. I've been observing a few times with great views and spotted the corrector lens was covered in a film of dew - it's quite amazing how much you can still see through a thin film of dew!

I always use my dew shield because it helps prevent stray light entering the tube as well and serves two purposes for the price of one solution.

Jason

#4 Tim2723

Tim2723

The Moon Guy

Posted 21 May 2004 - 11:14 AM

Give the little lint and threads from the cotton balls and tissue a little time to dry, then they brush off more easily. It is a major pain though! Just wait til a big 'ol moth runs into your scope!

PS. Also make sure that no one ever uses that make-up brush for anything else or you'll have a REAL mess next time!!

#5 Topcat

Topcat

Ranger 4

Posted 21 May 2004 - 11:49 AM

I agree with these guys Angel. You can drive yourself nuts with little spots and streaks on optical surfaces. The more you touch it the more likely of damaging it. I'm almost 100% sure you'd never notice a performance drop. A lot of years back (too many!) I had a 8" SCT and never noticed this huge handprint on the inside of the corrector until one night I looked at it with a flashlight. Never bothered me until I saw it...Just don't look at it and you'll be OK lol....As a side note, the best way I found to get rid of streaks was kleenex and hot breath one section at a time...it does work but at the risk of sounding like an obscene phone call....

#6 Tim2723

Tim2723

The Moon Guy

Posted 21 May 2004 - 11:59 AM

I had a 8" SCT and never noticed this huge handprint on the inside of the corrector until one night I looked at it with a flashlight.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

#7 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 May 2004 - 12:42 PM

Thanks guys..... I feel better now.... :grin:

Tim- I made sure that I put the make-up brush in my scope case for future use.... :whistle:

TopCat - Good point about the breath and Kleenex. I'm going to try that tonight after work. That's all I did to clean my eyepieces was to breathe on them and wipe them with a super soft optical cloth. They turned out better than the scope! :rolling:

#8 Topcat

Topcat

Ranger 4

Posted 21 May 2004 - 01:01 PM

Angel
I think you'll find that method put a nice polish to it. I've done that a number of times to clean my ancient c80 refractor with no problems to date.

#9 werewolf6977

werewolf6977

Lord High Smasher

Posted 22 May 2004 - 06:03 AM

Angel, don't let the streaks, and/or kleenex dust bother you. They won't effect your view badly. Trust me, my corrector plate could have gotten me shot at times, and I noticed no image degradation. Pete

#10 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 22 May 2004 - 10:58 PM

This stuff is amazing, cleans glass windows or lens streak free ..

Spray way Glass Cleaner..

http://shop.store.ya...rayglascle.html

#11 Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*

Guest_**DONOTDELETE**_*
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 May 2004 - 12:43 PM

Hmmm... not sure how safe that cleaner would be on a scope with XLT coatings. :thinking:

#12 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Administrators

Posted 24 May 2004 - 04:43 PM

Yeah really. If you don't know for sure it will work, please don't recommend it. You may do more harm than good.

#13 gazerjim

gazerjim

Cosmos

Posted 24 May 2004 - 07:33 PM

If you are going for a commercially formulated product, check out a cleaner made for optics called ROR-Residual Oil Remover, www.ror.net

It's rather widely available by mail order or at camera stores.

Jim

#14 John Hoare

John Hoare

I is who I is

Posted 24 May 2004 - 08:17 PM

Your original liquid mixture should be safe with a good coating, I certainly wouldn't use anything but distilled water/isopropyl alcohol on optics, but the cleaning materials are a problem. I wear spectacles for myopia, and to avoid wearing total jamjars I wear coated high index plastic lenses, so I've plenty of real experience of this. The best cleaning material I've found is a lint-free, non-abrasive, microfibre cloth that can be got from any storefront optician (e.g. VisionExpress, Specsavers, at least in Ireland/UK). I been using them to clean eyepieces and objectives/correctors for some time and all they do is remove smears from the coating.

#15 StarWars

StarWars

Mr. Postmaster Man

Posted 26 May 2004 - 12:18 PM

Hmmm... not sure how safe that cleaner would be on a scope with XLT coatings. :thinking:

It sounds like you will be cleaning the mirror (XLT coatings)... ??

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics