•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Unitron Model 142 3 inch f/15 on eBay...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 13 October 2006 - 03:43 PM

Hi!

There's another 3 inch Unitron Model 142 on eBay today. This is an interesting one to watch. This particular one is original and over 50 years old!
3 inch Unitron

#2 Bonco

Bonco

Skylab

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:48 PM

The scope of my dreams as a kid... but considering my other scopes, and the price I'll just have to be content with my dreams. Looks like a find for a collector.
Bonco

#3 Jae

Jae

Apollo

Posted 13 October 2006 - 05:31 PM

Hey, there's an excellent Towa 80 in the classifieds right here on CN for a bargain $100. Hope someone grabs it -- it's an impressive OTA.......once you knock the baffle back ;)

#4 Glassthrower

Glassthrower

Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

• Vendors

Posted 13 October 2006 - 07:18 PM

Holy Cow, I only live 15 minutes away from that scope!

Clear dark skies...

MikeG

#5 tbourg

tbourg

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:45 PM

Hey Mike,

I'd like to drive the 20 miles to see that scope, but I know I would probably end up buying it and I REALLY don't need another scope.

A guy at the BR observtory had a Unitron that he stripped down to the brass tube. It was really nice and gave great views. They are good scopes, as everyone knows. After fifty years, if the glass hasn't been scratched, the natural coating on the glass might give great results on the planets and moon.

I hope it finds a good home.

Clear skies.

Tom B.

#6 JWW

JWW

Apollo

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:27 PM

Just a note:

Not that I am an expert but I would not touch it if the optics are "just OK", unless of course it sells cheap. It looks rough to me too. Regardless what anyone tells you ...... you won't be able to find a objective for it since it is not actually 3 inches. I have checked with 3 key optic players (and of course Unitron) and got the same story from each ..... not available and they would not attempt a recoat and/or would not grind down a objective to fit the cell -IF- I was able to find one.

Of course I am assuming the objective might be damaged, or the coating is damaged, a flake, poor star test, etc. Of course I am quite sure you could find "someone" "somewhere" to do the work, I only called a few key players.

Inspect the eBay photographs closely. You will see the wooden box has some major cracks in it too. Don't get me wrong, I would love to have a 3" but this pup is a restoration project, which is fine too. I feel the seller is already asking to much. Anyway the major point I was trying to make was the scarceness of the objective ... I honestly don't think you will find a replacement objecvtive regardless of brand -IF- there is something wrong with the existing one.

Just sharing my homework with those interested,
-JWW

#7 tbourg

tbourg

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:00 AM

Hello,

I'm really not interested. It might be okay but it would probably be a big project and I don't need another project.

I don't know much about coatings, but I know that a lot of coatings weren't that good back then. Unitron was a top company, but that was 50 years ago, after all.

Clear skies.

Tom B.

#8 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 14 October 2006 - 01:43 PM

A big project I agree. It looks to be pretty beat up too. Nevertheless it will be interesting to see how this auction fares. Mine was in excellent condition and is an excellent performer. If I could only find myself an opportunity to move to a dark sky site someday...
Maybe I ought to buy a lottery ticket so that my wife and I wouldn't have to work anymore... :roflmao:

#9 Rat8bug

Rat8bug

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 October 2006 - 07:49 AM

Looks like a candidate for the landfill to me. My vintage Model 128 is mint in comparison. No scratches, pitting, dents, etc.

http://www.barrie-ta...itron2_62mm.jpg

Ciao....Barry

#10 Awesomelenny

Awesomelenny

Skylab

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:38 AM

LOL! Yeah that thing does look to be in pretty bad shape!
But ... for the right price, it could be sold and then for someone that loves to do restoration work, I think it could be made into a very nice unit though. I have seen work done by some Unitron lovers that have made them really beautiful again.

As it stands on ebay now, the starting bid is way too high.

Clear skies!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics