Before I start my report, I need to state that when I received this scope, the objective had been disassembled and the flint was laying in the bottom of the box. After much study and cleaning I reassembled the objective and based on my session tonight, I have it together properly but it does need to be indexed.
So here goes:
First up was the Moon and it was spectacular. I started out with my Apertura 40 mm Plossl which gave me 23X. I then went to my Edmunds 21.5mm RKE and that's when things really started to pop. Montes Appeninus was amazing and the detail that I was able to resolve did not disappoint. Contrast was great and there was no CA. I then went to my 9 mm Circle T Volcano top Ortho which gave me 101X and the features of the Moon really stood out. The Mare were like gray velvet and Montes Appeninus cast beautiful shadows. I tried to go higher in magnification but my seeing was a 2/5.
Next up was the Hyades. Beautiful but a bit spikey. The sweet spot for focus was very narrow and that is what indicated to me that indexing was needed. For this object I used my Apertura 40 mm Plossl and my 25mm StarGuider. The images were pleasing but they do need work.
Then on to the Pleiades. Again very nice but not as sharp as I know that this scope can deliver.
Finally, M42. The scope did very well on this target. The Trapezium was well resolved and when I went to 42X with the 21.5 RKE, dust lanes and texture began to come out.
Keep in mind that I did do a star test at the beginning of the night. Collimation is good but the objective is over corrected. Personally I prefer slight under correction in my refractors. As for the indexing, I will start on that hopefully tomorrow night. I have to get up at 0330 for work so I have to keep my observing sessions short.
All in all the scope is decent. The mount was flawless and once I get the kinks in the objective worked out, then I think I will have a fine performer.