•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

C.O.C. Monolux 60/910

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Phoenix's Dad

• topic starter
  • Loc: Perry, GA USA

Posted 05 January 2022 - 03:15 PM

So my newest acquisition arrived today and boy does it need help.  All the glass is filthy and the whole scope needs a thorough going over.

I need y'all's help.  The rod for the Sun projection screen is missing and the eyepiece for the finder is snapped off.  If anyone can help or offer suggestions please pm me. 

I am holding off on posting photos because it does need that much work.  Thanks!

Edited by mdowns, 05 January 2022 - 03:21 PM.

#2 Kasmos

Kasmos

Aurora

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 05 January 2022 - 03:22 PM

Posting photos before clean up/restoration is part of the fun.

BTW, some requests sneak by but the mods don't take nicely to soliciting for parts outside of Want Ads. 

• Terra Nova and Bomber Bob like this

#3 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Phoenix's Dad

• topic starter

Posted 05 January 2022 - 03:27 PM

Posting photos before clean up/restoration is part of the fun.

BTW, some requests sneak by but the mods don't take nicely to soliciting for parts outside of Want Ads. 

Yeah, my bad, I should have known better.

#4 MisterDan

MisterDan

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 05 January 2022 - 04:21 PM

Are you sure the finder eyepiece is "snapped" off? It's a normal-looking eyepiece and may simply be "out and about."  It screws onto the finder via "filter" threads.  It's an "R. 22mm" (Ramsden), and (hopefully) has crosshairs at the field stop.

See this image:

https://www.cloudyni...4722_233020.jpg

Best wishes and luck.

Dan

Edited by MisterDan, 05 January 2022 - 04:45 PM.

#5 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Phoenix's Dad

• topic starter

Posted 05 January 2022 - 04:46 PM

Are you sure the finder eyepiece is "snapped" off? It's a normal-looking eyepiece and may simply be "out and about."  It screws onto the finder via "filter" threads.  It's an "R. 22mm" (Ramsden), and (hopefully) has crosshairs at the field stop.

See the 5th (fifth) image at this page:

https://stargazerslo...first-thoughts/

Best wishes and luck.

Dan

Yes, I have the eyepiece and I can see where it is broken.  Also the cross hairs are still in the finder itself so I have to figure a way to get it out.

I looked at the picture in your gallery and that is what it looks like.  I put a call out to Sheldon Faworski to see if he could help.

Edited by eric_zeiner, 05 January 2022 - 04:50 PM.

#6 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Phoenix's Dad

• topic starter

Posted 06 January 2022 - 06:01 AM

I've decided that I am going to do a ground up restoration on this scope.  Do any of you know where I can find the pebble finish paint that is used on the mount etc?

#7 Kasmos

Kasmos

Aurora

Posted 06 January 2022 - 04:23 PM

I've decided that I am going to do a ground up restoration on this scope.  Do any of you know where I can find the pebble finish paint that is used on the mount etc?

I've searched the internet several times and can't find anything like it. All that comes up is Rustoleum and Krylon speckle and stone texture spray paints. I believe the original pebble finish is only available as a professional spayed product.

I've touched up chips on wrinkle finishes with Testors flat black model paint and they are hard to see if not too big. If it just has a few chips here and there you might try that. Another option would be to do that and then spray a new light coat of Satin Black over the existing finish to freshen it.

The only other way I've thought of reproducing it might be by splattering the parts or by flicking paint on them then over spraying it with a color coat. On spray guns and airbrushes you can get a splattered spray pattern by adjusting the air volume very low. Splattering paint by hand can be done by loading a paint brush with paint and then tapping on it with something to make fine drops flick off of it. It takes some experimenting with thickness and with how much paint to load on the brush. I have used this technique to paint stars on backgrounds on artwork. I've yet to try it on telescope parts so don't know how well it will match them.

#8 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Phoenix's Dad

• topic starter

Posted 06 January 2022 - 06:12 PM

I've searched the internet several times and can't find anything like it. All that comes up is Rustoleum and Krylon speckle and stone texture spray paints. I believe the original pebble finish is only available as a professional spayed product.

I've touched up chips on wrinkle finishes with Testors flat black model paint and they are hard to see if not too big. If it just has a few chips here and there you might try that. Another option would be to do that and then spray a new light coat of Satin Black over the existing finish to freshen it.

The only other way I've thought of reproducing it might be by splattering the parts or by flicking paint on them then over spraying it with a color coat. On spray guns and airbrushes you can get a splattered spray pattern by adjusting the air volume very low. Splattering paint by hand can be done by loading a paint brush with paint and then tapping on it with something to make fine drops flick off of it. It takes some experimenting with thickness and with how much paint to load on the brush. I have used this technique to paint stars on backgrounds on artwork. I've yet to try it on telescope parts so don't know how well it will match them.

Thanks for the guidance!  I like the idea of doing touch up with model paint and then freshening with a satin black over coat.  As for reproducing the texture, I think I will try the spatter method.  Can't hurt.

• Kasmos likes this

#9 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Phoenix's Dad

• topic starter

Posted 08 January 2022 - 01:10 PM

I got the idea to to fix the broken finder eyepiece by epoxying it back in to place.  I went to Lowes and bought some JB Weld and I think it will work great.  Luckily there was enough of a shoulder left on the eyepiece to give me good purchase with the epoxy.  I will know the results in about 24 hours.

As for the missing rod for the Sun projection screen, it turns out that Sheldon Faworski had one so I should have that soon.

• Bomber Bob, MisterDan and Kasmos like this

#10 MisterDan

MisterDan

Viking 1

Posted 08 January 2022 - 01:34 PM

I got the idea to to fix the broken finder eyepiece by epoxying it back in to place.  I went to Lowes and bought some JB Weld and I think it will work great.  Luckily there was enough of a shoulder left on the eyepiece to give me good purchase with the epoxy.  I will know the results in about 24 hours.

As for the missing rod for the Sun projection screen, it turns out that Sheldon Faworski had one so I should have that soon.

Great news about the rod.  Mr. Faworski comes through, yet again. waytogo.gif  -And I hope the finder repair works well.

Maybe I should ask Sheldon if he has a spare Studebaker Starliner laying around...hmm.gif

Best wishes.

Dan

• Jon Isaacs and eric_zeiner like this

#11 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Phoenix's Dad

• topic starter

Posted 08 January 2022 - 02:46 PM

Great news about the rod.  Mr. Faworski comes through, yet again. waytogo.gif  -And I hope the finder repair works well.

Maybe I should ask Sheldon if he has a spare Studebaker Starliner laying around...hmm.gif

Best wishes.

Dan

lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif

#12 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Phoenix's Dad

• topic starter

Posted 09 January 2022 - 04:02 PM

So the finder repair worked wonderfully and I tried it out on a street sign about 200m distant.  The image was good.  I continued with my restoration today by painting and cleaning everything.  I did not paint the tube because it, despite the condition of the scope was in good shape.  The only thing I have left to clean is the EP'S and the Barlow.

BTW, Sheldon Faworski got back with me this morning and he had the entire Sun projection screen setup.  The screen, the rod, and the collar that clamps to the focuser.  $30.00 shipped Priority Mail.  Needless to say, I jumped on it.

Edited by eric_zeiner, 09 January 2022 - 04:43 PM.

• Jon Isaacs, mdowns and Bomber Bob like this

#13 Kasmos

Kasmos

Aurora

Posted 09 January 2022 - 11:02 PM

So the finder repair worked wonderfully and I tried it out on a street sign about 200m distant.  The image was good.  I continued with my restoration today by painting and cleaning everything.  I did not paint the tube because it, despite the condition of the scope was in good shape.  The only thing I have left to clean is the EP'S and the Barlow.

BTW, Sheldon Faworski got back with me this morning and he had the entire Sun projection screen setup.  The screen, the rod, and the collar that clamps to the focuser.  $30.00 shipped Priority Mail.  Needless to say, I jumped on it.

You do realise? In this forum if there are no photos, it never happened. 

• mdowns and Marc-Andre like this

#14 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Phoenix's Dad

• topic starter

Posted 10 January 2022 - 10:22 AM

You do realise? In this forum if there are no photos, it never happened. 

Yeah I know but the problem is that I don't have a computer and I have to rely on going to the library to upload pictures.  I do everything from my phone.  I suppose that if I were to find some place with free wifi, I could do it there.  confused1.gif

• Kasmos likes this

#15 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 10 January 2022 - 12:36 PM

I don't have a computer....

WITW??!!  Not even a Droid Tablet??  Do you have WIFI / Internet Service at your house?   I got a couple of old laptops...  shoot me a PM if interested...

• Kasmos likes this

#16 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 January 2022 - 01:45 PM

The ranch has lousy cell service, no internet, only an electric line. Hasn't been a computer out there in years, had lousy dish net many years ago now long gone.

Where I am in CO, electric line and phone line (DSL), no cable, no Nat.gas, no city grid services, and I use a flip phone that is net off (goes unsupported end of Feb.).

I only net on a home desktop but it does the works. 

I have a COC 60mm, f=910mm, proprietary label not a rebrand. It should be the same as Eric's.  Fine shape in box. I like the box, nice wood. I could sub in a pic just to confirm matching scopes except for the label.

My Monolux 60/910 is a RAO and slightly different. I think Monolux was rebranding only, I don't know if they ever made a scope. I have both scopes out sorta, could do an OTA side by side. Eric's should be in there somewhere.

Edited by apfever, 10 January 2022 - 01:47 PM.

• Kasmos likes this

#17 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Phoenix's Dad

• topic starter

Posted 10 January 2022 - 03:06 PM

I don't have a computer....

WITW??!!  Not even a Droid Tablet??  Do you have WIFI / Internet Service at your house?   I got a couple of old laptops...  shoot me a PM if interested...

Thanks for the offer but the whole internet, WiFi thing is a very complex and convoluted story mainly dealing with my landlord.  That is why one of my goals for 2022 is to buy my own home.  

#18 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Phoenix's Dad

• topic starter

Posted 10 January 2022 - 03:15 PM

The ranch has lousy cell service, no internet, only an electric line. Hasn't been a computer out there in years, had lousy dish net many years ago now long gone.

Where I am in CO, electric line and phone line (DSL), no cable, no Nat.gas, no city grid services, and I use a flip phone that is net off (goes unsupported end of Feb.).

I only net on a home desktop but it does the works. 

I have a COC 60mm, f=910mm, proprietary label not a rebrand. It should be the same as Eric's.  Fine shape in box. I like the box, nice wood. I could sub in a pic just to confirm matching scopes except for the label.

My Monolux 60/910 is a RAO and slightly different. I think Monolux was rebranding only, I don't know if they ever made a scope. I have both scopes out sorta, could do an OTA side by side. Eric's should be in there somewhere.

I once had an actual Carton 60/910 and it is identical to the Monolux I now own.  Even right down to the funky color of the tripod legs.  I have to do some work on the box, mainly repairing one of the hinges and replacing the missing handle.

All I have left to do as far as the scope and accessories are concerned is to clean the EP'S and the Barlow which I am getting ready to do now.  With a little paint, spit, and polish, the scope look 1000% better.  I am hoping to have first light tonight.  I was lucky enough to have a Vixen 1.25" visual back that screwed right into the draw tube so I will be able to use my wonderful 1.25" vintage EP'S.

#19 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 January 2022 - 04:14 PM

You are looking for a finder?  Do you need the finder and bracket or just the finder ota?  The bracket is a funky double taper dovetail. It flairs in the regular way from top to bottom, but it also is tapered substantially front to back like a trapezoid. 

#20 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Phoenix's Dad

• topic starter

Posted 10 January 2022 - 04:19 PM

You are looking for a finder?  Do you need the finder and bracket or just the finder ota?  The bracket is a funky double taper dovetail. It flairs in the regular way from top to bottom, but it also is tapered substantially front to back like a trapezoid. 

Though I have repaired the finder I have, I would like to have one that is in original condition.  I have the bracket so I am good there.

Edited by eric_zeiner, 10 January 2022 - 04:19 PM.

#21 eric_zeiner

eric_zeiner

Phoenix's Dad

• topic starter

Posted 10 January 2022 - 08:28 PM

First Light:

Before I start my report, I need to state that when I received this scope, the objective had been disassembled and the flint was laying in the bottom of the box.  After much study and cleaning I reassembled the objective and based on my session tonight, I have it together properly but it does need to be indexed.

So here goes:

First up was the Moon and it was spectacular.  I started out with my Apertura 40 mm Plossl which gave me 23X.  I then went to my Edmunds 21.5mm RKE and that's when things really started to pop.  Montes Appeninus was amazing and the detail that I was able to resolve did not disappoint.  Contrast was great and there was no CA.  I then went to my 9 mm Circle T Volcano top Ortho which gave me 101X and the features of the Moon really stood out.  The Mare were like gray velvet and  Montes Appeninus cast beautiful shadows.  I tried to go higher in magnification but my seeing was a 2/5.

Next up was the Hyades.  Beautiful but a bit spikey.  The sweet spot for focus was very narrow and that is what indicated to me that indexing was needed. For this object I used my Apertura 40 mm Plossl and my 25mm StarGuider.  The images were pleasing but they do need work.  

Then on to the Pleiades.  Again very nice but not as sharp as I know that this scope can deliver.

Finally, M42.  The scope did very well on this target.  The Trapezium was well resolved and when I went to 42X with the 21.5 RKE, dust lanes and texture began to come out.

Keep in mind that I did do a star test at the beginning of the night.  Collimation is good but the objective is over corrected.  Personally I prefer slight under correction in my refractors.  As for the indexing, I will start on that hopefully tomorrow night.  I have to get up at 0330 for work so I have to keep my observing sessions short.  

All in all the scope is decent.  The mount was flawless and once I get the kinks in the objective worked out, then I think I will have a fine performer.

• mdowns, Bomber Bob and MisterDan like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics