•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Possible to remove yellowish tint from Vixen refractor tube exterior?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 jkmccarthy

jkmccarthy

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California U.S.A.

Posted 06 January 2022 - 12:05 AM

Pictured below is an alt-az mounted Vixen Custom-90M that will shortly be heading my way smile.png

Vixen_Custom-90M_F11_photo2.jpg

My question for this group concerns the yellowish (or cream-colored or vanilla) patina on the tube of the OTA --- in particular, note the contrast in tint between the OTA tube and both the white dewshield and finder scope.

Unless the Yahoo! seller's digital camera and room lighting are playing white-balance and/or color-saturation tricks with my monitor (i.e., barring the [unexpected] pleasant surprise that the yellowish patina won't be as apparent to me in person), I'm wondering what non-abrasive cleansers / cleaning-methods others here would recommend I try to eliminate or reduce the OTA's yellowish tint, in order to make it whiter?   Equally informative, what cleaning agents should definitely not be used ?

Thanks in advance !

-- Jim

Edited by jkmccarthy, 06 January 2022 - 01:00 AM.

• Exnihilo, dgreyson, jcruse64 and 1 other like this

#2 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 06 January 2022 - 12:13 AM

I’ve had good luck taking yellow residue off of white tubes using Scrubbing Bubbles with Bleach bathroom cleaner. I’d try that before going to anything abrasive. If that didn’t work, then a good automotive polishing compound. 

Chip W.

• jkmccarthy likes this

#3 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 06 January 2022 - 06:49 AM

Seems everything over time will yellow. Bowling pins sure do it and so do Park tubes.

#4 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Apollo

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 06 January 2022 - 08:08 AM

I've had success with this. It even cleaned up long term exposure in a smoking household.

gel gloss

• jkmccarthy likes this

#5 astrokeith

astrokeith

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Surrey, UK

Posted 06 January 2022 - 08:13 AM

Basically its paint - just like a car.

I'd use Meguiars Ultimate Compound. Its progressive so it cuts fast at first but then comes to a great polish.

As used on my favourite Mustang!

• jkmccarthy likes this

#6 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 06 January 2022 - 08:19 AM

Soap and water go a long way to remove smokers deposits. I used 409 spray on several OTA lately and like it. I don't use any fancy automotive products, at least not expensive ones. A scope isn't a factory extended 1939 Pierce Arrow  or a super charged 454 entity (which would you chose for a few drives?).  Look around at your cleaners on hand, be green, save a lot of time and money buying something special if you have the typical cleaner collection under your sinks. 

• PawPaw and jkmccarthy like this

#7 PETER DREW

PETER DREW

Surveyor 1

Posted 06 January 2022 - 03:33 PM

Could be that the off-white colour is original Vixen and the dew shield and finder have been resprayed with a "whiter" white.

#8 Kasmos

Kasmos

Aurora

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 06 January 2022 - 07:45 PM

Both are original paint but the dew shield on my Mizar is a bit yellower than the OTA. I always use something like Awesome, Simple Green, or Dawn then automotive polishing compund on all of my Classic purchases. The A/G/D  to remove dirt and the polish is too mostly to remove superficial scratches and bring up shine. Both are always on hand anyway.

I've noticed some whites yellow from exposure and time while others yellow when stored or shaded.

• jkmccarthy likes this

#9 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 06 January 2022 - 08:05 PM

Clear coats yellow with age.  Not sure the tube had a clear coat but many things do.

• jkmccarthy likes this

#10 icomet

icomet

Viking 1

• Loc: Montana

Posted 06 January 2022 - 10:34 PM

If your OTA is painted aluminum, might be a couple of things you could try. I would think it should be able to

be get it white again.

Not so, if it is like one of my Cave Astrolas. The gel coat on the fiberglass OTA yellowed, and it's going to stay: I've polished it, etc and that's that. Was told this particular scope got heated up in a cement building alot, so it yellowed.

Not going to strip it, looks okay tinted. All the other ones are white.

Clear Skies.

• jkmccarthy likes this

#11 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 07 January 2022 - 06:49 AM

If your OTA is painted aluminum, might be a couple of things you could try. I would think it should be able to

be get it white again.

Not so, if it is like one of my Cave Astrolas. The gel coat on the fiberglass OTA yellowed, and it's going to stay: I've polished it, etc and that's that. Was told this particular scope got heated up in a cement building alot, so it yellowed.

Not going to strip it, looks okay tinted. All the other ones are white.

Clear Skies.

Every Parks tube i had turned yellow with age.

• Deven Matlick likes this

#12 YourNotSirius

YourNotSirius

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Somewhere in New Hampshire

Posted 07 January 2022 - 12:16 PM

Basically its paint - just like a car.

I'd use Meguiars Ultimate Compound. Its progressive so it cuts fast at first but then comes to a great polish.

As used on my favourite Mustang!

THE choice of any and all show car enthusiasts who know their stuff. We use it on cars, trucks, telescopes, boats, etc. Nothing beats it and I mean nothing.

Original Rustangs are the Bee's Knees! Today's Muskrats just don't have any real character to them. Yeah. They are fast but, they ain't got no class! LOL

Now if you want something with class go get that 1939 Pierce-Arrow! Although personally, I'd rather have the 1929 Lasalle with it's 12 cylinder that the old man used to maintain for an old neighbor! THAT was one huge hunk of iron and dripped more class after a wash than all cars of today will ever see! LOL

I can say without reservation that the Mequiars products are excellent for OTA paint schemes. IF that thing has been subjected to cigarette smoke (BLEECH!) then the Mequiars will make short work of that nasty stuff. However, you may well find that the tube is only a different shade as was noted by someone else.

After we polish any tubes or parts we always wipe the item down with a degreaser such as DuPont Prep-Sol or similar products that are used for paint preparation. The we follow it with Meguiars or another high end wax. One item that we have been using as of late is RejeX from Corrosion-X instead of the other products. That stuff is incredible! Dew and dust just won't stick to it no matter what! We've watch spiders fall slide off of the surfaces that are coated with it. As a result, we don't get any dew buildup during humid nights. Check it out. I think you will find it to be quite useful.

FWIW

Q

• jkmccarthy likes this

#13 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Soyuz

• Loc: Nutmeg State

Posted 07 January 2022 - 03:11 PM

Somehow it must be different with a refractor.....

but fiberglass tubes do yellow as stated above

No one can blame you for wanting it cleaned 

But in the vintage guitar business  I love the yellowed look

By way of example  The Olympic White Fender Stratocasters yellowed with age  due to the     nitrocellulose finish   Think Jimi's 1968 White Woodstock strat. Just love that look. 

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 07 January 2022 - 05:38 PM.

• jkmccarthy likes this

#14 Kasmos

Kasmos

Aurora

Posted 07 January 2022 - 04:20 PM

Somehow it must be different with a refractor.....

but fiberglass tubes do yellow as stated above

No one can blame you for wanting it cleaned 

But in the vintage guitar business  I love the yellowed look

By way of example  The Olympic White Fender Stratocasters yellowed with age  due to the     nitrocellulose finish   Think Jimi's 1968 While Woodstock strat. Just love that look. 

Although they do change with age I'm not sure those Strats were ever pure white. I know my oldest brother's first Tele was a real creamy white, if you could call it white. My second oldest brother is a bass player and a guitar/bass builder/repairman by profession, so I've always been exposed to them.

He's crazy good at what he can do:

http://johnkvintageg....com/index.html

Edited by Kasmos, 07 January 2022 - 04:25 PM.

• walter a, mikerepp, Defenderslideguitar and 1 other like this

#15 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Soyuz

• Loc: Nutmeg State

Posted 07 January 2022 - 05:46 PM

Kas     yes  have to agree   they were never pure white to begin with....

creamy though    btw   your brother is  a pro    I  love the Ric bass he made

But for the OP   first he has to get it and access it     clean it as suggested   then the polish or compounds as stated above      for cleaners    i love Dawn   it is most  safe and it works     we add a few drops to organic foliar feeding sprays on the garlic field  or hot pepper juice anti deer repellant like an emulsifier it holds stuff to the leaves

It may be that   it is just an antifact of the seller's picture    but if it has yellowed as he fears it might have to be dealt with   since it is unlikely to be consistently yellowed evenly

the yellowed colored look that I like is shown here on your brother's P bass 62 reissue

Attached Thumbnails

• BlondePbass-001.jpg

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 07 January 2022 - 05:53 PM.

• Kasmos and jkmccarthy like this

#16 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 07 January 2022 - 07:08 PM

Zaino beats them all for cars. But once a Parks tube yellows it's done. It may look better after you work on one but they were never pure white anyways.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#17 YourNotSirius

YourNotSirius

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 08 January 2022 - 02:24 PM

Zaino beats them all for cars. But once a Parks tube yellows it's done. It may look better after you work on one but they were never pure white anyways.

We are unfamiliar with this product but, after reading up on it, we will be giving it a good test run for sure!

Q

#18 jkmccarthy

jkmccarthy

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California U.S.A.

Posted 08 January 2022 - 03:34 PM

Thanks to all who responded with suggestions and comments!   As for my purchased OTA's patina being the natural color for Vixen 90M's of that vintage, I recently saw another Vixen 90M of similar vintage (on an aluminum tripod) listed for sale on Zen-Market, and it's telescope tube, dewshield, and finder tube pictured below all appear matching and whiter, so I do expect I'lI have a cleaning task ahead of me when mine arrives.   Had the dewshield and finder tube yellowed in the same way, I'd be more inclined to leave them all alone, but to my eye in the top photo (on the wooden tripod) the yellowish color of the 90mm tube stands out --- and not in a pleasing way.

i-img900x1200-1641230465rsdygb293593.jpg

-- Jim

P.S.  Funny how the wide-angle-lens' perspective distortion in the photo directly above of the recently-sold Vixen 90M --- comparing the objective lens cell to the finder stalk, for example, which in profile are of course perpendicular to the optical axis --- makes these appear skewed(!) and thus reminiscent of the fanned fretboards seen on multiscale guitars and basses:

fanned-fret-bass.jpg

(No significant perspective distortion in this bass guitar photo from the web ... the frets are each variably slanted due to the heavier-weight strings having a longer scale-length than the lighter-weight strings ...)

Edited by jkmccarthy, 08 January 2022 - 03:50 PM.

#19 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

Posted 09 January 2022 - 08:47 AM

Has anyone ever tried peroxide, known in the computer restoring community as "retro-brite" treatment? It works great for plastic yellowed by UV light. Some sort of magic surface chemistry involving oxygen from the peroxide.

-drl

• jkmccarthy likes this

#20 geophilip06

geophilip06

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 09 January 2022 - 09:06 AM

Try some dish detergent, lots of water, and a "Magic Eraser". Careful with the elbow grease. Works great for me. I have even used it on a GLOSS BLACK tube with great results.

• jkmccarthy likes this

#21 The Planetman

The Planetman

Viking 1

• Loc: Western KY

Posted 09 January 2022 - 11:18 AM

Magic Erasers do a wonderful job. Just don't get too aggressive with it.
Try them ondark marks too. They definitely work "magic" on a lot of things

Edited by The Planetman, 09 January 2022 - 11:20 AM.

• jkmccarthy likes this

#22 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 09 January 2022 - 01:56 PM

Looks like lighting effect to me

• Kasmos likes this

#23 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Apollo

• Loc: Otisco lake. Marietta NY 13110

Posted 09 January 2022 - 02:10 PM

Try ONCE A YEAR  car polish.. it worked for many of my projects.  Fiberglass, painted steel, painted aluminum  etc.

Stevegeo 

#24 Kasmos

Kasmos

Aurora

Posted 09 January 2022 - 02:11 PM

Worring about it before delivery could be a case of putting the Cart before the Horse.

I agree with post #22. All along I thought It could mostly be the lighting.

Note how the wall's temperature (color) changes from left to right and top to bottom.

Yes, there might be differences due to the way it was painted by the factory (piece by piece) and the lighting could be enhancing it.

Also, I think polishing compound (not rubbing compound) is a better choice than a magic eraser.

It's pretty mild and it's made to bring out shine so there's less chances to dull a surface. 

Edited by Kasmos, 09 January 2022 - 02:11 PM.

#25 YourNotSirius

YourNotSirius

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 09 January 2022 - 02:23 PM

Try some dish detergent, lots of water, and a "Magic Eraser". Careful with the elbow grease. Works great for me. I have even used it on a GLOSS BLACK tube with great results.

Yeah! Now all of those glass black OTAs are gloss white!

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Q

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics