•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade Audiostar patching has bricked my handbox

Meade
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Phil in the loft

Phil in the loft

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2022 - 06:21 AM

Hi All,

After having apparently random guiding issues with the Meade standard A4S2 firmware I recently loaded the A1F7 patch from StarPatch.  This seemed to work very well, up to a point, that point being that the handset would crash after half an hour or so (of very good guiding!) - the mount would become unresponsive and the handbox would show "Download in progress, do not turn off".  Restarting would fix it temporarily until the next crash, in anywhere between half an hour or two hours time.  Today I used StarPatch to load the A4S4 patched version (PatchAUA4S4v02.spf).  This seemed to go well and I set up the scope OK.  I then connected PHD2 to the mount and everything was still OK (i.e. manual nudges worked OK).  Connecting NINA was successful, I then tried to slew the mount using NINA's scope controls.  The first couple of slew commands worked OK but then the handset crashed (mount stopped guiding and handbox screen went blank).  On restarting (power cycling) the handbox produces a high pitched tone, the screen is blank and it is not possible to connect to it. It looks very much as though it is bricked.

If anyone has any tips for resetting / un-bricking I would be very grateful.  System details are:

LX90 (recent model, purchased less than 12 month ago)

Audiostar 497EP handbox

Windows 10 PC

PHD2 guiding

NINA sequencing and control

Many thanks in advance

Phil

#2 TomH1954

TomH1954

Explorer 1

• Loc: Paris, Arkansas

Posted 13 January 2022 - 02:07 PM

Have you tried re flashing it again?

#3 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 13 January 2022 - 03:48 PM

Gday Phil

To go into "downloading" mode mid guiding ( and after a long time being connected )

would initially indicate a comms problem.

That said, if after the last crash it wont start properly at all,

then all you can do is try a safeload.

Boot the Hbx whilst holding down the "ENTER" and the Scroll Down key,

( Scroll dn is the key at the bottom, not the direction button )

The handset has a built in set of code that allows you to do a "firmware" recovery

using a protected "copy" of the LCD, Keyboard and comms code

If it starts in safeload mode, you can try reloading.

If it wont start in safeload mode,then it sounds like something has "mechanically" died.

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

#4 Phil in the loft

Phil in the loft

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 January 2022 - 06:05 AM

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for those tips.  I tried the safeload method without success.  Fortunately the scope was purchased less than 12 months ago and I contacted the seller who has agreed to fix or replace, so the Handbox is on it's way back to him now. 

Clear skies,

Phil

• Piet Le Roux likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Meade

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics