•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

1982 Celestron 8 orange tube value?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lucian

Lucian

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Francisco CA

Posted 13 January 2022 - 11:55 AM

I have a 1982 Celestron 8 orange tube scope with a wedge and matching orange dew shield with all the original wires and details: original eyepieces, diagonal, finder, screws, etc. Its in excellent shape and the optics are as clear as a SCT bought today and it collumnates perfectly. The RA motors track well. Serial number is 811590 if that matters to anyone. 

I bought it new and have kept it since, mostly on a shelf or in its case. But it's time to sell it. I can't find many comps out there but when I do they seem to be in the $350 - $1000 range, so I can't tell what to list it at. There is probably a lot of "aspirational" pricing out there. Any advice for its value?

Thanks!

Lucian

• Bomber Bob likes this

#2 wrvond

wrvond

Soyuz

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 13 January 2022 - 12:36 PM

What venue do you plan to sell it through?

When I list something for sale here or on Astromart, I list it for what I think it's worth to me. If it goes several days without an offer I know I listed it too high for the market and lower it 10 or 20 percent.

• Bomber Bob and Defenderslideguitar like this

#3 Lucian

Lucian

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2022 - 02:23 PM

I was going to post it through Craigslist for the convenience of a local transaction (yes, and the spam) and here on CL. I can try to set it somewhere and see what happens. Its hard to tell what people will pay but I'll start somewhere and come down if I need to. 

#4 wrvond

wrvond

Soyuz

Posted 13 January 2022 - 02:50 PM

I think you'll find that in California your telescope is probably not all that unique. The things you have going is that it is original and complete and you are the only owner, so the provenance is known for certain - even better if you have a dated receipt.

Since you've found listings as high as $1000.00 it wouldn't hurt to start your price there. If you aren't in a huge hurry, let it sit, either someone with lots of disposable income that really wants exactly this item will pop up or someone will offer you a lower amount. Of course, you're going to have to endure low ball offers from the very start, so you'll want to know what your lowest price is and stick to it. There comes a point where I will let an item sit on the shelf before I "give it away", or sometimes I will actually give it away to somebody I know can't afford it, rather than succumb to the flippers.

• ShaulaB, Bomber Bob and dvmweb like this

#5 Lucian

Lucian

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2022 - 02:55 PM

I love this answer. It’s exactly how I think about it. I would much rather give this telescope to a school or any other youth group before, as you put it, succumbing to the flippers. I’m not unrealistically trying to get top dollar. I just don’t wanna throw away money either.
  • ShaulaB and wrvond like this

#6 wrvond

wrvond

Soyuz

Posted 13 January 2022 - 03:06 PM

I love this answer. It’s exactly how I think about it. I would much rather give this telescope to a school or any other youth group before, as you put it, succumbing to the flippers. I’m not unrealistically trying to get top dollar. I just don’t wanna throw away money either.

I have given away guitars, amplifiers, telescopes, eyepieces, even a vehicle or two - you'd be surprised how hard it is to find someone that actually needs what you have to offer. Schools are the worst place to donate, IMO. The item invariably ends up in a dirty closet with parts missing and unusable. Better to donate to an astronomy club in this case.

• mdowns, dave253, Bomber Bob and 2 others like this

#7 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, LA (Lower Alabama)

Posted 13 January 2022 - 03:25 PM

You shouldn't have difficulty finding a Local Buyer, but probably at a lower price on CL than CN.  The problem for CN shoppers like me (in an Old Scope Desert) are the shipping charges.

I think... it was Chris (Kasmos) who first posted years ago about how orange C8 prices make no sense.  At that time, I saw complete kits (scope + fork + case) going for $400 or less -- a steal IMO for all the capability you get.  Since then, it seems to come in waves -- low demand & prices, or high demand & crazy prices.

IF I lived close by, and I really wanted a Classic Orange '82 C8, I'd go up to $1200 on yours with all the bells & whistles -- and One Owner.  IME, the fewer owners the better.  Both of my local old scope buys were 1 owner; and, I got them for less than they were worth.  I didn't mind the 3-hr round trips at all.

Good Luck!!

• wrvond likes this

#8 ShaulaB

ShaulaB

Soyuz

• Loc: Missouri

Posted 13 January 2022 - 04:12 PM

I agree about not donating to a school. Very few teachers know enough about actual observing to use it properly. I am saying this as a retired educator. Few youth group leaders likewise would know how to handle it and maintain it properly. Even if you train a teacher or a youth group leader, the effort may not have lasting impact. Teachers are leaving the profession at an alarming rate. A youth leader will be gone once their son or daughter has aged out of the group.

It might be good to get involved with an astro club and meet members. You might find someone with the ability to handle a scope like this, but does not have the almost $2000 it takes these days to buy a new C8.

I use a 1970's vintage C8 on a fork mount with RA tracking. I love this scope dearly. Before I pass from my time on this good green Earth, I will have to write a document for my children as to where this scope goes after I am gone.
  • dave253 and wrvond like this

#9 wrvond

wrvond

Soyuz

Posted 13 January 2022 - 04:31 PM

It's so crazy right now, trying to predict how anything will sell is virtually impossible. I have a 2005 C8 ASGT with tracking and GoTo that I paid $1100.00 for. You'd think with the unavailability of new telescopes, the long wait times for delivery and the rising prices of new equipment (pending 25% price increase at Celestron reported), I'd be able to sell this unit that has been updated to Nexstar+ for close to the price I paid, but the reality is I'd be doing good to get $750.00 for it.

C8 002 10092021

• Bomber Bob likes this

#10 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 13 January 2022 - 07:01 PM

$450 IS THE GOING RATE. Now if it was a freaky sharp C8 i would go much more.

• Steve_M_M likes this

#11 Kasmos

Kasmos

Aurora

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 13 January 2022 - 07:43 PM

I have a 1979 Orange C8. My brother bought it new and I bought it from him a year later so I kind of keep tabs on their sales. The sad truth, I see them listed as high as $1500 but kind of doubt many ever sell for $1,000 or even close to it. Mostly because there appears to be no shortage of them offered in the $500-$650 range (with wedge, tripod, and original EPs) and it seems like many buyers won't pay a penny more no matter what else comes with them. If I was to sell one that had lots of separate accessories like extra EPs, and drive correctors, etc. I'd think about selling them separatelly. That said, some sellers also make the mistake of thinking useless outdated camera adaptors are valuable.

Yes you will sometimes see them for $450 or less but many of those don't have a wedge, a tripod, or anything else. Many of the high priced ones are listed by original owners who think they must still be worth a lot or by people who really don't  know telescopes. There probably is the occasional collector who will pay higher for ones in mint condition. That said, unless they collect all things Celestron, I'd think a collector is more apt to want and pay more for an earlier Sand Cast model.

As for schools, I agree with those who say don't do it. Someone at a school who knows how to use and care for it is extremely hard to find. Also, from what I've heard many Astro clubs don't want them thinking they are too old and sometimes just sell them cheap to dispose of them.

Of course there are exceptions to any of these statements.

Edited by Kasmos, 13 January 2022 - 08:04 PM.

• Steve_M_M, dave253, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#12 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 13 January 2022 - 08:14 PM

Some peculiar ideas:

1. Donate it Goodwill. It will probably, end up with someone who wants it. It might end up with someone looking to flip it.

2. Pawn it. You will get lower than market value in exchange for limited effort and hassle.

Then:

a. spend the money on anything you want

b. donate the money to a good cause

In the last few year years I have seen some vintage orange tub C8's (and black tubes...) sell for increasing prices. You can restrict the sale to local pickup only shipping. My guess is you can sell it a higher price than CL, even after paying eBay fees.

Warning: If you are not familiar with eBay and have never sold anything there, there is a lot to learn about how to do it. I'd recommend against it.

3. To sell here on CN you have to have some history or something. Nothing wrong with doing that and nothing wrong with listing it on CN with NO SHIPPING.

4. Same with with Astromart; it will cost you $15 for one year.  I have not checked if Astromart will allow you to pay up and post right away, so double check on that.

Both sides have policies to try to weed out scammers.

#13 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: 39.07°N, 229m AMSL, USA

Posted 14 January 2022 - 09:52 AM

I bought this one for $80 three or four years ago. It was a 1977. I bought a very nice 1982 for $250. Both came without the tripod although the $80 ‘77 came with a deluxe wedge, finder, stock diagonal, and 40mm and 25mm Circle T Kellner eyepieces.

Attached Thumbnails

• C953E588-3F74-483F-9702-F1BF888386D8.jpeg

Edited by Terra Nova, 14 January 2022 - 10:06 AM.

• photiost, mdowns and Bomber Bob like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics