•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skywatchers 10'' flextube

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Tomcatf14

Tomcatf14

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2022 - 04:22 PM

I was eyeing 1 of these at B&h photo and waited to long. Went out of stock and prices jumped from $792.00 to 1079.00. Mounts and all impacted, so much for any new equipment anytime soon. Do you think prices will come down if this crap stop's or are these locked in from now on.

#2 Mike G.

Mike G.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 13 January 2022 - 04:34 PM

my theory is that at some point, social distancing will stop and people will start socializing after work again and many people will find they don't have the time or interest for Astronomy anymore.  some time after that, they will decide that equipment they bought to entertain themselves during the period of social distancing is doing nothing and should be sold as it is just taking up room and not being used.  then the market will become flooded with used equipment for cheap prices, since there will be plenty of people doing the same thing.  when that happens, new, high priced equipment sales will drop and manufacturers will see that in order to compete, they need to drop the price.  then things will go back to normal.  but I don't see the used market getting flooded for some time, nor the current social distancing norms going away soon.

Manufacturers, once they get into new, profitable markets, rarely give up the market without some effort to keep it.  the taste of money is strong and addictive to corporations.  efforts will be made to stop lagging sales numbers.  when sales start to slump, prices will drop.

JMO

• Bean614 and vtornado like this

#3 Tomcatf14

Tomcatf14

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 January 2022 - 04:59 PM

That sucks, hope no one wants a celestron 8se soon that went from 1079.00 to 1599.00. I was looking for a mount later this year but that's not happening now.

#4 JohnBear

JohnBear

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Sandy, Utah

Posted 13 January 2022 - 05:00 PM

In  the socio-economic corollary to Murphy's Law, it says. "Prices that go up tend to stay up". There is also a similar rule in the Ferengi Rules of Acquisition, but I just can't remember the number. 

• 3 i Guy, spaceoddity and Greyfox_MT like this

#5 CowTipton

CowTipton

Viking 1

• Loc: NW Chicago Suburbs

Posted 13 January 2022 - 05:17 PM

I doubt prices will come down again.

Material costs may come down but everything else is likely to stay higher.

Labor is not getting any cheaper, you can't even hire an unskilled worker for $15/hr anymore.

Shipping is not getting cheaper that's for sure.

Energy costs are not coming down.

etc.

My scope in September (5 months ago) was $2749.

Now it's $3615.

A difference of $866 or 31.5%

• 3 i Guy and Starsareus like this

#6 Bean614

Bean614

Vanguard

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 13 January 2022 - 07:16 PM

my theory is that at some point, social distancing will stop and people will start socializing after work again and many people will find they don't have the time or interest for Astronomy anymore.  some time after that, they will decide that equipment they bought to entertain themselves during the period of social distancing is doing nothing and should be sold as it is just taking up room and not being used.  then the market will become flooded with used equipment for cheap prices, since there will be plenty of people doing the same thing.  when that happens, new, high priced equipment sales will drop and manufacturers will see that in order to compete, they need to drop the price.  then things will go back to normal.  but I don't see the used market getting flooded for some time, nor the current social distancing norms going away soon.

Manufacturers, once they get into new, profitable markets, rarely give up the market without some effort to keep it.  the taste of money is strong and addictive to corporations.  efforts will be made to stop lagging sales numbers.  when sales start to slump, prices will drop.

JMO

" my theory is that at some point, social distancing will stop and people will start socializing after work again and many people will find they don't have the time or interest for Astronomy anymore.  some time after that, they will decide that equipment they bought to entertain themselves during the period of social distancing is doing nothing and should be sold as it is just taking up room and not being used.  then the market will become flooded with used equipment for cheap prices, since there will be plenty of people doing the same thing."

I couldn't agree more!  In fact, a lot of the Covid-Newbies are already unloading their new toys. Some are getting a rude awakening, by trying to get back the same price they paid.  Lines like "only used 10 times, so it's brand new" just don't fly on CN.  Used is used, period.  One time or 100 times, it's  USED!  On the other hand, some stuff is ridiculously low, and a great bargain.   And it will continue.....

#7 Greyfox_MT

Greyfox_MT

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 January 2022 - 08:23 PM

Just picked up one of those "new" Celestron 127EQ telescopes for about a third of new price.  It actually does look fairly new with little to no markings on the gearing.  Now if I can find a nice 10" Dob for a third, I'll be set. 

#8 vtornado

vtornado

Aurora

• Loc: NE Illinois

Posted 13 January 2022 - 08:50 PM

This is also a hobby dominated by old folks.  (like me)

When those folks start heading to the stars, their equipment can't follow them.

• sevenofnine likes this

#9 dnrmilspec

dnrmilspec

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 13 January 2022 - 09:25 PM

Some of us have long memories.  To those who think that 1000.00 is too much to pay for a 10" Truss tube Dob, and who are shocked by the recent price hikes, I offer this for your consideration:

A piece of Coulter Dob in 1980 cost  $1336.49 in today's dollars.  Sure it was 13.1" but it was the very picture of unsophisticated. 

That same year a basic Meade 8" Newtonian on an equatorial mount with a plug in motor drive cost in today's money a mere $1624.00. 

That 8" Orion Dob in today's money 1339.87.  And that did not include shipping.

And that $100.01 Televue Plossl you can buy today in 1980 cost today's equivalent of $152.26. 

1980 To old for you?  Step forward a decade to 1990 and price the Meade LX-200.  That baby today with the increases, if you could get one $3999.00.  Back in 1990 it costs in today's dollars $4895.87.

So my obvious point is that sad as increases are, we have been and are still at what history would describe as very low prices. 

Questars today are dirt cheap compared to when they were first released.  But let's not go there.

By the way.  You might just note that all of the scopes I have described above were made in the USA.  Virtually all of the ones we are concerned about today are made in China.  Don't even think of what they would cost if made in the USA today.  It will really keep you up at night.

• SteveG, Lenard, gene 4181 and 1 other like this

#10 Greyfox_MT

Greyfox_MT

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 14 January 2022 - 08:05 AM

A lot of stuff gets donated to charity and so I swing through Goodwill auction website looking for stuff every once in a while.  Watched several +10" dobsonian telescopes get sold off the other week. 

#11 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 14 January 2022 - 01:48 PM

A lot of "estate sale" stuff gets get dumped at the dump - or donated - or left is some dusty basement. Some people are delusional and think their kids want their old stuff - not really. If you are keeping your treasures for "them" - forget it - you are just leaving them a mess to clean up - unless they have expressed an interest of course. 

I volunteer a lot at a "public observatory" and the place gets 2 or more telescopes donated per month - some really nice, some showing obvious signs of neglect - much of it donated by the childern of the original owners. I almost bought a Meade 12" SCT on a fork mount -- but wisely did not at the last minute. The observatory knows it is 'dumping' the stuff for less that you see on A'mart or here - but they just want some $$ and the stuff cleared out of the observatory.

As for astro-stuff price increases - they may be here for good - especially anything made in China. They are having labor issues, you can't expect them to work for peanuts forever, and they are developing a strong domestic market for astronomy gear - which is also getting popular across the World.

Edited by George N, 14 January 2022 - 01:50 PM.

#12 dnrmilspec

dnrmilspec

Viking 1

• Loc: Southern Arizona

Posted 14 January 2022 - 09:36 PM

Adding to the need for retailers to raise prices is this little tidbit from Marketplace this evening. 

The average time for an ocean shipment from a manufacturer in China to arrive at the door of a reseller in the US is 113 days.  Far more than in the past.  All of this delay adds greatly to the cost of goods.

#13 sevenofnine

sevenofnine

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Rosa, California

Posted 14 January 2022 - 11:54 PM

I think you will have an easier time getting a raise than waiting for the prices to come down...4.gif

In my lifetime, I can remember 10 cents per gallon gasoline, a new Volvo for $2800, a new Cadillac for $5000. A new Mercedes convertible with red leather interior for $14k...I did hard physical labor for $1.25/hr. Now you can't find good employees for $15/hr. A good starting wage is more like $18/hr. It's all relative. It will give you something to talk to your grandkids about gramps.gif

• Brent Campbell and JohnBear like this

#14 Tomcatf14

Tomcatf14

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 January 2022 - 11:52 AM

I could still kick myself for not pulling the trigger on that 10'' flextube. 

• sevenofnine likes this

#15 Brent Campbell

Brent Campbell

Apollo

• Loc: Olympia, WA

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:02 PM

JMO

Prices won’t go down inflation will come up.  Same net difference.  If shipping weren’t so crazy used would be the way to go.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics