•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

2022 pricing

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 weis14

weis14

Viking 1

• Loc: Midland, MI

Posted 14 January 2022 - 11:04 PM

If the Willmann Bell items, for example, are no longer sold new and are available from Amazon through third party sellers, why would you think Amazon is involved in pricing them? Those price escalations seem to me to be more associated with third party sellers realizing they had harder to get inventory. 

I should have said Amazon third-party sellers do this to the prices.  I don't think we are disagreeing.  I'm merely arguing that often there isn't a person behind these prices, at least not for books.  My understanding is that Amazon book pricing (especially for used or out of print books) is largely dictated by algorithms.  Even when those books are sold by third parties, the optimum sales price is often suggested by Amazon's algorithms.  This has been going on for a decade or more, here is an old Wired article talking about the practice: https://www.wired.co...ies-24-million/

My guess is that the practice is used much more broadly than just books and that most large retailers (Amazon, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.) have similar systems.  

Pricing and customer data are fascinating subjects and a multi-billion (trillion?) dollar industry and is incredibly sophisticated when it works well.  About 10 years ago there was a bit of a scandal when it was discovered that Target's algorithms predicted that a teen was pregnant based on her shopping patterns and delivered custom tailored ads to her home early enough in her pregnancy that her parents still were unaware of the pregnancy. 

I doubt that a small business like Astronomics has the desire or means to invest in this sort of prediction, but Orion might.  Third party sellers on Amazon might be able to just opt-in for a nominal cost.

#27 SteveG

SteveG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 14 January 2022 - 11:16 PM

I work in manufacturing. We used to bring in our "Quick Ship" products from China. The shipping containers prior to the pandemic were $4,000. Now they are $26,000. Everything comes here on containers.

• George N, weis14 and sunrag like this

#28 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:00 PM

I should have said Amazon third-party sellers do this to the prices.  I don't think we are disagreeing.  I'm merely arguing that often there isn't a person behind these prices, at least not for books.  My understanding is that Amazon book pricing (especially for used or out of print books) is largely dictated by algorithms.  Even when those books are sold by third parties, the optimum sales price is often suggested by Amazon's algorithms.  This has been going on for a decade or more, .....

Yes, the auto used book pricing has been here for years - sometimes leading to crazy prices, especially when there are only a few copies of a book offered on the 'net and the bots get into a pricing war. However - it's not really surprising - considering that many used-book sellers are actually non-profit affairs raising $$ for some interest, with many volunteer workers. I don't see how it would work without the computer pricing. How could you make $$ on your stock of musty old books if you needed to pay people to play around with each one researching prices, etc. It would take an 'army' of people - and make the entire enterprise no worth doing.

So -- are people really going to pay $800 or more for a dusty/musty used copy of the Millenium Star Atlas? Yes, I think there are people who would - if you can even find a copy.

#29 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:09 PM

I was shocked when I today saw that both High Point Scientific and B&H Photo were offering ......

The price seems to jump right after an item is actually in stock for 5 minutes.  cool.gif

• TheFourGrapples likes this

#30 George N

George N

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:16 PM

I work in manufacturing. We used to bring in our "Quick Ship" products from China. The shipping containers prior to the pandemic were $4,000. Now they are $26,000. Everything comes here on containers.

Is "Quick Ship" air fright?

Right now I'm not thinking that paying any price is going to get your container out of China faster thru the ocean shipping backlog - both in China itself, and thru the US port system - not to mention US rail. I'm seeing trains around here just sitting for days due to weather, and the local news notes that the railroads are having sever rail crew shortages - people out sick or retiring early. Trucking = the same.

#31 Astro Des

Astro Des

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 January 2022 - 04:15 PM

In the UK it seems Celestron/Skywatcher have seen absurd price increases. I was after a RASA8 but not now. Get this. My friend bought one new 18months ago. He paid £1700. Its now advertised by most UK dealers new at £2400. They aint gonna shift many at those prices. 

#32 Kutno

Kutno

Vanguard

Posted 15 January 2022 - 08:47 PM

The price seems to jump right after an item is actually in stock for 5 minutes.  cool.gif

In the UK it seems Celestron/Skywatcher have seen absurd price increases. I was after a RASA8 but not now. Get this. My friend bought one new 18months ago. He paid £1700. Its now advertised by most UK dealers new at £2400. They aint gonna shift many at those prices. 

It does make you wonder who will be able to afford fine equipment, going forward, if prices continue to rise due to such factors as inflation.

#33 SteveG

SteveG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 15 January 2022 - 11:10 PM

Is "Quick Ship" air fright?

Right now I'm not thinking that paying any price is going to get your container out of China faster thru the ocean shipping backlog - both in China itself, and thru the US port system - not to mention US rail. I'm seeing trains around here just sitting for days due to weather, and the local news notes that the railroads are having sever rail crew shortages - people out sick or retiring early. Trucking = the same.

No. It’s a product we would buy for cheap from China, ship here and stock for a fast delivery. It sells at a high margin.

We received a few containers last year (San Diego). We’ve stopped our China orders completely for now, and are making the product here.

• George N likes this

#34 naztronomy

naztronomy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 January 2022 - 11:23 PM

It does make you wonder who will be able to afford fine equipment, going forward, if prices continue to rise due to such factors as inflation.

I've been trying to get my hands on a nice Apo refractor for a few months, trying to be patient but with things increasing in price, I'm wondering if I should just get the first thing I find in stock. I'm also looking at the used market. 

#35 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 16 January 2022 - 08:04 AM

Fortunately, I think I'm done with my APO purchases ...  for the time being. smile.gif

#36 Kutno

Kutno

Vanguard

Posted 16 January 2022 - 05:16 PM

I've been trying to get my hands on a nice Apo refractor for a few months, trying to be patient but with things increasing in price, I'm wondering if I should just get the first thing I find in stock. I'm also looking at the used market. 

Welcome to Cloudy Nights, naztronomy!

It is never an easy decision to make.  There are personal factors that one must always take into consideration and then there is macroeconomics, which often has me scratching my head when things do not turn out as expected.       

#37 RichA

RichA

Aurora

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 16 January 2022 - 05:17 PM

Astro gear is outperforming crypto’s

Heh heh.  One hacker theft of crypto is often worth the ENTIRE telescope market for a year!!  Owning it, you might as well run around  the worst neighbourhood you can find, at night, with your pockets stuffed to bursting with $100 bills...Telescopes are a lot safer (and better!).

• blueskydown likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics