•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

[Gear Experts] Looking to Upgrade my Gear

Accessories DSLR Filters LP Refractor Tripod Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dragorom7

dragorom7

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Metz, Lorraine (France)

Posted 14 January 2022 - 12:21 PM

Howdy, 

Today I was looking for advice on what I can upgrade on my current gear, I have a budget of 1500 usd and I was looking to upgrade my astrophotography setup, I am going on vacations in the southern hemisphere and I am looking to upgrade my gear and also make my gear as light as possible.

This is my current gear:

Camera: Nikon D5200 (Full Spectrum), Nikon Z6 II (Stock)

Scope: Omegon 90/500 OTA (achromatic doublet) 

Lenses: Nikon 80-200mm f/2.8 (Poor Optics), Nikon Z 24-70mm f/4 (Too Wide), Nikon Micro Nikkor 60mm 2.8 (Too Wide), Samyang 50mm 1.2 (Too Wide)

Star Tracker: Star Adventurer 2i (Complete with counterweight), Star Adventurer Mini

Tripod: Omegon Titania 600

Filters: 1x H-alpha 12nm + 1x O-III 10nm + 1x R+G+B+Y Set of Filters

Guide Scope: Nope undecided.gif

Guide Camera: Nope undecided.gif

I also wanna note that I do not own any laptop right now, maybe it would be better if I was getting a ZWO ASIAIR since it's compatible with mobile, and would allow me to do over 30 seconds of exposure with no star trails to get a better Signal/Noise ratio.

Thanks for your help. waytogo.gif waytogo.gif

#2 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 14 January 2022 - 12:52 PM

With  $1500,  keeping the weight down,   get an astro camera, QHY or ZWO.  ZWO also makes an adapter to connect a camera lens to an astro camera.   Nikon bayonet on one side M42 thread on the other.  Use astronomy tools to figure what camera you want.   Keep the arcsecond to pixel range between 1 and 2.5.  Spend what is left over on a computer, tablet whatever you need to make it work.  Maybe one of those mini computers from Mele and use your phone to see.  Just thinking out loud.      Below is the adapter,  look for it locally,    Joe

https://optcorp.com/...cameras-and-efw

https://astronomy.to.../field_of_view/

#3 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 14 January 2022 - 12:57 PM

Astro camera and a guidescope/guidecam.  I also use the SA2i but with a 60mm refractor and this setup works great.

#4 dragorom7

dragorom7

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Metz, Lorraine (France)

Posted 14 January 2022 - 01:10 PM

Any idea for the scope? 

#5 Leia

Leia

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: SE Alaska

Posted 14 January 2022 - 01:57 PM

Maybe an apo?

#6 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 14 January 2022 - 01:59 PM

Use the one you have first.   Joe

#7 BinoGuy

BinoGuy

Viking 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 14 January 2022 - 02:07 PM

I like Cuiv's HowTo video.  It meets or exceeds your requirements in terms of cost and portability.  I'd use your existing Omegon 90/500, should be fine.

Make a POWERFUL smart TELESCOPE! Better than much bigger telescopes! (Oct 17, 2021) https://www.youtube....h?v=0JdtL950RjQ

Clear skies,  BG  °¿°

• light-traveller likes this

#8 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 14 January 2022 - 03:57 PM

Any idea for the scope? 

If you're asking about a guidescope, I use the Svbony SV165 30mm guidescope.  It's cheap at $60 and works great.

If you're asking about a new APO, I use the Astro Tech AT60ED and love it.  I've been eyeing the AT72ED and the AT80EDT for my next purchase.

• light-traveller likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, DSLR, Filters, LP, Refractor, Tripod, Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics