•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need recommendations to raise my AP 900 mount a few inches

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jerahian

jerahian

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 14 January 2022 - 12:58 PM

I have my AP 900 permanently mounted in my home observatory on a custom solid steel pier (purchased 2nd hand), the top of which has an opening which fits the AP Standard Pier Adapter for 900 Mounts.  The walls of my observatory are a few inches too high for this mounting setup and currently clips precious degrees off my Southerly view.  I only use the rig for imaging.

I would like to raise the mount by adding plates between a) the top of my steel pier and b) the AP 900 pier adapter.

I don't work well with metals, personally, beyond being able to drill a hole.  I also don't have a convenient metal shop contact, but anyone know of any off-the-shelf parts I can use or DIY ideas to effectively raise the mount by 4-5 inches?? 

Here is a photo of the pier in my observatory with the AP 900 pier adapter attached:

pier_and_plate.JPG

#2 MJB87

MJB87

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Talbot County, MD & Washington, DC

Posted 14 January 2022 - 06:07 PM

Dan's Pier Plates sells riser kits. Check it out. It might work.

https://www.pierplat...ducts_3001.html

• jerahian likes this

#3 jerahian

jerahian

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 14 January 2022 - 07:04 PM

Thanks for the recommendation.  I just checked out their website and sent them an email!  I hope they have a solution.

- Ara

#4 Binary Star

Binary Star

Vostok 1

• Loc: N.E. Ohio

Posted 14 January 2022 - 09:38 PM

Ara, if you haven't already done so it might be worth a call to Astro-Physics.  Although it doesn't look like they have a direct solution on their website, maybe they have a contact that could help since you're already using their pier adapter.

Jim R.

• jerahian likes this

#5 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 16 January 2022 - 12:41 AM

Two aluminum or steel squares. Some 1/2” threaded rods and nuts/washers to balance it out. Quick and easy.
  • MHamburg likes this

#6 Cosmo Geezer

Cosmo Geezer

Explorer 1

Posted 17 January 2022 - 01:30 PM

Get a boat seat pedestal. They are cheap, sturdy and come in different heights and will bolt right up.

• Raginar likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics