•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Excited and wanted to share finder mount

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 1981Eagle

1981Eagle

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Virginia, USA

Posted 14 January 2022 - 01:11 PM

I really dislike most finder mounts - I understand the need for adjustment, but both common types (a flexible but fixed end with a 3-screw adjustment side) - and the ones with the 3-screw spider on both ends.   Some have one spring plunger, and others don't.   I just never have liked them.

I like the split-ring style like a typical guide scope mount.   I also use arca swiss mounting plates for most of my camera stuff and I find them to be pretty repeatable.  So I set out to make a plate that would be mounted to the scope with a dovetail and an upside-down arca swiss clamp holding the ring mount.   

The machining part is pretty easy at this point ... the only real challenge for manual machines is making the curved underside of the mounting block to match the OD scope diameter - but even that was just time consuming but not too hard.  What I am more excited about is the anodizing.   I made it from aluminum and I am just getting into anodizing.   I picked blue for what is probably obvious reasons.  I'm really happy at how the anodizing came out.  In past attempts I've bead blasted the surface, which gave a poor result.   This time I polished it to 320 grit before my anodizing.   I like the finish so much better.  

T0EJaej.jpg

orNdqAZ.jpg

oBG5TnY.jpg

MUOh51q.jpg

Just sharing ... not taking orders  HA! 

Edited by 1981Eagle, 14 January 2022 - 01:11 PM.

• BinoGuy and CowTipton like this

#2 BinoGuy

BinoGuy

Viking 1

• Loc: Michigan

Posted 14 January 2022 - 01:58 PM

I mean, why not take orders?  Looks like quality work to my eyes.  I got a hinged ring from <company> and it is utter cr*p, with the thread binding after fix or six uses.  I like your mounting system as well.

Clear skies, BG  °¿°

#3 1981Eagle

1981Eagle

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2022 - 02:18 PM

I mean, why not take orders?  Looks like quality work to my eyes.  I got a hinged ring from <company> and it is utter cr*p, with the thread binding after fix or six uses.  I like your mounting system as well.

Clear skies, BG  °¿°

I've never had that entrepreneurial gene

Plus - I seldom do cad drawings or plans ... I may have to sketch something out, but most often, I merely take a measurement and then go to the machine.  

Last ... I have fun making the first one ... but if I made a bunch it turns into a job or a chore ... and isn't as fun.   

But I am glad you like it - I do too  :)

• Sacred Heart likes this

#4 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 14 January 2022 - 04:30 PM

Moving from the Mounts forum to the Equipment forum for a better fit.

• 1981Eagle likes this

#5 ji4m

ji4m

Explorer 1

Posted 14 January 2022 - 05:17 PM

I think it is just gorgeous.  I like to think I have some skills, but ****...

• 1981Eagle likes this

#6 Tom3

Tom3

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Posted 14 January 2022 - 06:00 PM

How do you make sure your finders are parallel to the OTA?

Tom

#7 1981Eagle

1981Eagle

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2022 - 06:17 PM

Thanks guys ... I have a full sized Bridgeport mill (older than I am) - an Enco 12x36 lathe, a Boyar-Schultz surface grinder, and a sand-blast cabinet.  All in the basement, all running off a rotary phase converter to give me 3-phase power in a single phase home.

I can imagine if I ever go to sell this house the buyer will wonder about all the ... a*hem .... modifications - to the basement electronics.

To do stuff like this you have to be somewhat familiar and comfortable with machines that can kill you, electricity, chemicals (for the anodizing and parkerizing) and be really prepared for expensive hobbies.   

It's sort of like telescopes - you think the telescope is the expensive part ... then you start getting new eyepieces, guide scopes, imagers, filters, upgraded mounts ... and you eventually realize the cheap part was the telescope!

I once knew a guy that wanted to 'buy a lathe' so that he could avoid spending the money needed to buy a commercial firearm suppressor,   I said "Great - your suppressor will probably run you about 5 grand.  Figure 2500.00 for a metal lathe that will be resonable - and another 2500.00 in tooling and measuring equipment"   I think telescopes are about the same. 

• mrlovt likes this

#8 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 January 2022 - 06:19 PM

I've never had that entrepreneurial gene

Plus - I seldom do cad drawings or plans ... I may have to sketch something out, but most often, I merely take a measurement and then go to the machine.  

Last ... I have fun making the first one ... but if I made a bunch it turns into a job or a chore ... and isn't as fun.   

But I am glad you like it - I do too  smile.gif

My feelings exactly.  Joe

• 1981Eagle likes this

#9 1981Eagle

1981Eagle

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 14 January 2022 - 06:24 PM

How do you make sure your finders are parallel to the OTA?

Tom

The smallest screw on the bottom plate is a 'stop' so that the arca swiss plate hits the same spot every time.   The other socket-head cap screw is a pivot point and the rear most screw with the 'handle' coming off is a lock and the slot that it is in is curved.   So I can loosen the screw with the handle and then the entire base that the arca swiss clamp mounts to can pivot about 5 degrees left and right.   

For the 'elevation' I can shim the back if needed.  Or you could shim under the ring with a thin piece of brass or aluminum sheet.   For me, I lucked out and it came out with the 'elevation' near perfect and once I adjusted the swing (or pivot) it's pretty much dead on.   

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics