•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Once Linked does Skysync need to remain plugged in ?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OregonSky

OregonSky

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 14 January 2022 - 03:53 PM

Wondering if Skysync provides any function after its Linked and provides the needed info ?

Attaching the unit with its short cable to a Tripod leg is too often leaving a very narrow cordwrap range on a 6se

I have no manual for it and any instructions I find do not give answer to my question.

Would be nice to use it - unplug it - and put it away until next time. 

Thank You 

#2 mlord

mlord

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 14 January 2022 - 04:13 PM

Best to leave it plugged in.  Unplugging it while powered can damage the electronics in stuff.

https://www.cloudyni...2#entry11628357

#3 OregonSky

OregonSky

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 14 January 2022 - 10:36 PM

Good Point  --  Maybe I will add an extension to the cord or modify the Strap to attach to the Mount Arm.

The wound Cord is wound very tight  and even the 179* cordwrap range gives a pretty good pull. 

Thank You

#4 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Aurora

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 15 January 2022 - 01:23 AM

A problem with the Nexstar SE range is too few AUX ports. With an Evolution, which has four AUX ports, it is much easier to affix accessories above the point of rotation.

However, my SkySync device has a supplementary AUX port. Have you tried plugging your SkySync into the HC port of the 6SE (which many don't think of as an AUX port) and then plugging your HC into SkySyncs AUX port, so freeing up your regular (single) AUX port? Then strap it to your vertical mount arm, all above the point of rotation.

However, think holistically. I used SkySync GPS only during my early days when I pursued visual astronomy. The minute you connect a laptop or tablet or phone, you don't need it if connected to the Internet. 'Location Services' mean the mount doesn't need GPS as it can pull location and time data from the Computer (running CPWI or SkyPortal etc). There then follows an odd phenomenon. One will typically then spend months trying to justify keeping SkySync attached, before eventually discarding it. CPWI can pull the data from either SkySync or laptop. But the only time you might need SkySync is if remote from the Internet. This might occur in Alaska or Death Valley, but most of Great Britain has 3G/4G/5G coverage. As soon as you buy a camera, SkySync can usually be made redundant! Thanks for the reminder, time I sold mine.

Edited by Noah4x4, 15 January 2022 - 01:27 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics