•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rings too big, need foam (or equiv)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 toucansam

toucansam

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:01 AM

Wasn't sure if this belonged in the DIY section, so with apologies if this is incorrectly placed....

Have a nice scope with a tube dimension for which I have been unable to find rings.  Found a recent pair in the classifieds that fit great, but are just slightly (probably less than a couple of mm) too large.

The last really nice set of rings I used on a tube came with this thick cotton material, almost like carpet jute, that didn't mar the tube but did compress sufficiently to hold the undersized tube TIGHT.

Looking for something similar.  I hesitate to use cheap weather stripping or rubber material as I'm afraid the sheer forces of compressing it in the rings will transfer the color, permanently, to my tube body.

What do you guys use for filling in the space between rings and slightly undersized tubes?

Thanks.

#2 Sam Danigelis

Sam Danigelis

Viking 1

• Loc: Excelsior Springs, MO

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:14 AM

Got this from Amazon:

SoftTouch 1/2" x 60" Heavy-Duty Self-Stick Felt Furniture Strip Roll - Protect Surfaces from Scratches & Damage, Beige (1 Pack)

It is easy to apply, and the tube slides freely against the felt material with no damage or marring.

Attached Thumbnails

• softtouch felt.jpg

• rsalva1 likes this

#3 Sam Danigelis

Sam Danigelis

Viking 1

• Loc: Excelsior Springs, MO

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:19 AM

Here is the material installed in my embroidery hoop custom size rings...

Attached Thumbnails

• scope rings.jpg

#4 toucansam

toucansam

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:23 AM

That literally what came with my other rings, thanks!

But I am adapting 78mm rings to a 75mm tube.  I'm thinking of just using thin cotton from an old t-shirt and cutting strips.

#5 rsalva1

rsalva1

Sputnik

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:23 AM

You can also go to Joann Fabric or somewhere similar, lots of different felt fabric that you can try. 

#6 jefffed

jefffed

Mariner 2

• Loc: N.E. PA

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:25 AM

You can get felt weatherstripping at Home Depot or thinner felt material at Wal Mart.

#7 wrvond

wrvond

Soyuz

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:31 AM

I went to a craft store and bought a package of self adhesive cork panels of different thicknesses. Worked perfectly.

rings

• markb likes this

#8 DLuders

DLuders

Soyuz

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 15 January 2022 - 03:13 AM

ScopeStuff has "Felt Strips for Ring Padding" in various thicknesses.  I've gotten some of it for my telescope, and it works great.  You can make the strips slightly thinner by shaving them with a razor blade.   smile.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics