•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Stiff focuser on BT-100 especially when cold

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dpasqa

Dpasqa

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Asheville NC

Posted 15 January 2022 - 05:23 AM

My new Oberwerk binoculars have stiff focusers. They were stiff right out of the box and get stiffer out in the cold. Keven from Oberwerk sent me a focuser from a damaged unit to test with. It got stiffer out in the cold but mine is a bit more so. Is this normal? And has anyone found a way to loosen them or do they loosen with use? This appears to be stiff by design. 

Edited by Dpasqa, 15 January 2022 - 05:46 PM.

#2 dustyc

dustyc

Viking 1

• Loc: Phoenix,AZ

Posted 15 January 2022 - 10:05 PM

Mine are stiff in the cold too. (Cold being about 50 degrees)

But in the heat of day they get really easy to turn. Seems to me like they struck a good balance between temp extremes. 

#3 Dpasqa

Dpasqa

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 January 2022 - 05:51 AM

Mine are stiff in the cold too. (Cold being about 50 degrees)

But in the heat of day they get really easy to turn. Seems to me like they struck a good balance between temp extremes. 

Thanks for your response, sounds like mine but mainly below 30-40°. I wonder why it’s like this, my Orion BT‘s were smooth in any weather. If they stiffened up a little bit in the cold weather it was nothing like these. I can’t turn the left a piece or should I say it takes all my strength to turn the left eyepiece in the cold. I guess they are not designed for cold weather. 

Edited by Dpasqa, 16 January 2022 - 05:51 AM.

#4 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 16 January 2022 - 11:50 AM

They must be using a stiffer viscous grease in the focusers for one reason or another.  Stiff grease can compensate for looser machining standards for one.

• hallelujah and Dpasqa like this

#5 Dpasqa

Dpasqa

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 January 2022 - 05:31 PM

They must be using a stiffer viscous grease in the focusers for one reason or another.  Stiff grease can compensate for looser machining standards for one.

I hope Oberwerk isn’t doing it for this reason. Everything is high quality from what I can see. The owner is trying to be helpful. He will take them back and change the focusers. He sent a focuser for me to test and it is not much better. I’m inclined to leave well enough alone. In my experience, once you start taking things apart some new problems surfaces. I’m at a point that I’ll live with it. Soon as this cold weather passes the problem will be less of an issue. Even my Orion 10x50 binoculars are hard to focus when it is below 35° because the focus wheel gets tight. I told Keven this, I’ll see what he says. I think he’ll do what ever is right. At the end of the day though it’s mr call. 

#6 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 16 January 2022 - 05:40 PM

I would work in the viscous grease by turning them "lock to lock" over and over many times.  It can't hurt a thing to try.  Perhaps a more even distribution of grease by doing this will loosen things up a bit for you.  

#7 Dpasqa

Dpasqa

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2022 - 03:53 PM

I would work in the viscous grease by turning them "lock to lock" over and over many times.  It can't hurt a thing to try.  Perhaps a more even distribution of grease by doing this will loosen things up a bit for you.  

I sent them back for them to deal with. I noticed the glass inside the lense holder was scratched. Not acceptable! He will take care of it I’m sure. 

• Fiske and hallelujah like this

#8 Fiske

Fiske

Skylab

• Loc: Kansas (Kansas City area) / USA

Posted 17 January 2022 - 06:59 PM

I sent them back for them to deal with. I noticed the glass inside the lense holder was scratched. Not acceptable! He will take care of it I’m sure. 

Good call. waytogo.gif

• Dpasqa likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics