•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Why are my flats not working?

DSLR Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HSkaane

HSkaane

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 January 2022 - 05:40 AM

I have usually had quite a lot of success with flat frames however after i have added i fieldflattener to my setup it seems like they have limited effect in DSS

My method is two layers of white t-shirt with an ipad screen shining white light and shooting in Av mode on my Canon 550d making sure the exposures are all the same length

Here is my autostretched (in Siril) masterflat, it seems quite faint in my opinion:

MasterFlat

Here is the histogram of one of the flat frames (1" exposures each):
Histogram

And here are two of the images i get from the flats in DSS:

C34
Horsehead

Images were processed with autostretch, colour calibration and background extraction in Siril

Thanks.

Edited by HSkaane, 15 January 2022 - 05:42 AM.

#2 michael8554

michael8554

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 15 January 2022 - 06:57 AM

Your Flats look fine.

IMO the artefacts in your two images are due to reflections from bright stars, which Flats won't be able to correct.

And I'd guess that the Horsehead images are from sets of Lights with significant rotational difference ?

#3 HSkaane

HSkaane

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 January 2022 - 07:22 AM

Your Flats look fine.

IMO the artefacts in your two images are due to reflections from bright stars, which Flats won't be able to correct.

And I'd guess that the Horsehead images are from sets of Lights with significant rotational difference ?

Both the images have the same camera position just the Horsehead had been flipped in processing

Is there anyway to reduce the reflection?

Also why is the reflection in the Horsehead dark whilst in the Veil it is light?

Edited by HSkaane, 15 January 2022 - 07:36 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DSLR, Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics