•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Carrying a dob ota

Accessories Beginner Dob Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JesVG

JesVG

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 January 2022 - 09:06 AM

So after getting an 8“ f/5.9 dob (which I love!) I started thinking about the easiest and quickest way of transporting it all outside to my backyard where I do all of my observing. I knew the weight of the OTA and base and while neither is too heavy to carry, especially separately, I wanted an easier way to carry the OTA without having to leave doors open. I don’t have to walk far, but I’d bumped in to the back door a few times (gently, but still tapped the view finder) and I don’t have the arm span to carry it under one arm. I first got a Strap a Handle, and while it certainly worked better than nothing, I still had to support part of the tube with one hand and it was still hard to open door handles. 

After looking for over a month for something that would fit the bill I stumbled across SUP (stand up paddle board) straps. I skeptically ordered it and checked how heavy stand up boards are (they vary of course but some are heavier than my OTA of 20+ lbs). To my surprise they work well! I put the Strap a Handle back on just as extra insurance but this way I can negotiate doors while still having hands to pull and close the door as well. C98F5747-496D-4A03-8B3C-3A55246A9A20.jpeg 84EA1BA8-B3A6-4E72-9E96-F4B47995ED8B.jpeg

• izar187, jim kuhns, spaceoddity and 2 others like this

#2 Sincos

Sincos

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: 100ft from the Atlantic Ocean in Newfoundland

Posted 15 January 2022 - 10:36 AM

Welcome to CN JesVG , nice scope there . Went down the similar road myself but realized there would be two trips involved , lazy man’s load warnings of youth ringing in my ears still .  Tried what I now use, as a spur of the moment got to do something fix for lifting OTA outside .Two adjustable straps wrapped around tube , one on each side of bearing works well for my situation.  Two trips but on the first trip bringing out the base I put all the other equip needed in the base , eyepieces, charts , red light and use the carry handles the manufacturer installed to lift all together. Second trip just the OTA using the straps in pic. Just a couple of adjustable straps from a camping store .

The red and yellow bungee cord is if extra counterbalance weight is needed .

Clear Skies

Attached Thumbnails

• EFB09BC0-DF6C-4569-8A65-1D02FBE316D6.jpeg
  • A82083A1-12A0-4B4C-A045-AC895BF7C055.jpeg

• JesVG likes this

#3 JohnBear

JohnBear

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Sandy, Utah

Posted 15 January 2022 - 10:49 AM

For transporting large Dob OTAs (separate from the rocker box) I purc hased a used collapsible golf bag hand cart.  I believe it cost me all of $10.  When I first saw one I thought "my 8" Dob is about the size of a golf bag!" It works rather well, but it is about maxed out with the weight of of my 12" Flextube Dob. 

The wheels of the golf bag hand cart fold up very nice and compact, and that allow me to slip it onto the back seat of my car with the OTA still attached. 

The rocker box has to be carried separately.  For that I made a folding/collapsible rocker box for the 12 " Dob that fits conveniently behind the front seat. The folded rocker box is under 5' thick and is So much easier to carry!

• izar187 likes this

#4 JesVG

JesVG

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 January 2022 - 03:08 PM

Sincos i also thought about just carrying straps that went around the tube- I’ve seen ones made specifically for that purpose on Farpoint‘s website, but I really needed a set up where if I needed to let go with one or both hands I could do so. I like your set up though! I also make two trips- box first with everything inside then ota
JohnBear that’s a Great idea. I’ll have to look out for one for when I finally venture out to a darker site and want something a bit more comfortable if I have a farther walk
  • JohnBear likes this

#5 Spile

Spile

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, UK

Posted 15 January 2022 - 05:37 PM

I have a page about carrying my Dobsonian https://astro.catshi...r-200p-classic/

• JohnBear likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, Beginner, Dob, Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics