•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Warning to vendors about Chinese scam

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 15 January 2022 - 10:00 AM

I received a very official looking email from a Chinese company representing themselves as the governmental agency in China

telling me a Chinese company was trying to register my company's name as a .com.cn, .org.cn, etc. and if I didn't approve I should let them know.

I did.

The 2nd email said the Chinese company refused to stop using my name so my only remedy was to register my name in China to prevent their

using my name.  They sent me a list of domain name registration prices, a very official-looking price list.

I decided it was too expensive (1800/year per url) and that it wasn't worth it.

That was the end of it, I thought.

Then I got a 2nd email nearly identical to the first, also very official looking, from a different email source with a slightly different governmental agency name.

Then I got a 3rd, and now a 4th.

I just want to let all the vendors on CN know that this is obviously a scam.  The sources do not have the authority to register your name, and it is just a very

slick scam to bilk us out of money.

If you get such an email, you can report it to:

https://www.usa.gov/...TC,:00 PM, ET).

The emails I received all had a .cn at the end of the return address.  I did not investigate the IP addresses to see if they were all from China.  They may not have been.

Consider this a friendly FYI.

Don

Edited by Starman1, 15 January 2022 - 10:03 AM.

• ewave, Stellarfire, cookjaiii and 3 others like this

#2 Bill Lee

Bill Lee

Ranger 4

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 10:17 AM

Well, technically, anybody can register any name (more or less). That certainly doesn't mean that you have to do anything about it. Especially if it's registered in a foreign top-level domain (TLD), like .cn. I mean, who cares? So, yes, it's a scam. They are preying on the ignorance of people about how the internet's domain naming system (DNS) works, who think it's something official and has to be taken care of.

Another tactic I see quite often is when DNS registrars send out letters that your domain is about to expire and you must renew your registration with them. The problem is that they are the actual registrar that you are using; they are just trying to fool you into switching your domain registration to them. I get a lot of panicked calls from clients who think their domain is about to expire, when in actuality it isn't and everything is fine.

There's a lot of scams out there that prey on people's ignorance of how the internet actually works.

#3 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Cosmos

• Loc: Northeast USA

Posted 15 January 2022 - 10:21 AM

I got one of those for my business. Just deleted it.
  • ewave likes this

#4 Stellar1

Stellar1

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Juuuust outside Toronto

Posted 15 January 2022 - 10:29 AM

A Chinese scam? no way, must be a first.

• Dobs O Fun likes this

#5 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 15 January 2022 - 10:31 AM

A Chinese scam? no way, must be a first.

lol.gif

#6 JohnBear

JohnBear

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Sandy, Utah

Posted 15 January 2022 - 10:32 AM

slight correction:  "Another tactic I see quite often is when DNS registrars send out letters that your domain is about to expire and you must renew your registration with them. The problem is that they are [NOT] the actual registrar that you are using; they are just trying to fool you into switching your domain registration to them. 

It is true  that Now is not a good time to be an ignorant person using the Internet!   It is also a sad commentary on the current maturity of a rather large percentage of the human race that preys on fellow humans. 

• Bill Lee likes this

#7 Xeroid

Xeroid

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: USA

Posted 15 January 2022 - 11:14 AM

Look at the bright side:

You must be well known and very famous in China!!

shocked.gif

• George N, psandelle, ewave and 1 other like this

#8 Bill Lee

Bill Lee

Ranger 4

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:48 PM

slight correction:  "Another tactic I see quite often is when DNS registrars send out letters that your domain is about to expire and you must renew your registration with them. The problem is that they are [NOT] the actual registrar that you are using; they are just trying to fool you into switching your domain registration to them. 

It is true  that Now is not a good time to be an ignorant person using the Internet!   It is also a sad commentary on the current maturity of a rather large percentage of the human race that preys on fellow humans. 

Thanks

#9 rexowner

rexowner

Viking 1

• Loc: SF Bay Area, California

Posted 15 January 2022 - 08:23 PM

Not just that.  I have my domain registered as (...foobar).com with one of the largest (US-based) registrars. 

Received numerous notifications from them that  (...foobar).biz(.us) etc was expiring, which I suppose they were "maintaining" for me.

Considering I've had (...foobar).com registered with them for decades, not really happy with this tactic.

#10 mogur

mogur

Soyuz

• Loc: Pueblo, CO

Posted Yesterday, 05:59 PM

I'm afraid you may be put on the Chinese No-Fly list! shocked.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics