•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

60x800 Classic Refractors - Who Made 'Em?

Classic Equipment Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
179 replies to this topic

#176 jragsdale

jragsdale

Soyuz

• Loc: Idaho

Posted 25 June 2024 - 11:13 AM

My new to me Sky Chief Junior.  It needs cleaning and some missing parts replaced.  Much mildew.  Hoping for the best.

Wes

<BOL> I've seen a lot of similarities with <SYW> so it should be pretty good.

But this probably isn't the thread for this scope, this thread is specifically for the 60x800 scopes with no maker mark that we've determined most of which were Towa before the circle T made its appearance in ~1962.

#177 semlin

semlin

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 June 2024 - 12:31 PM

bol = bushnell optical laboratories, a bushnell owned japanese export company that appeared in the mid to late 1950s and carried on into the 1970s.  virtually all bushnell binoculars from that period have a bol export mark.  it is similar to the swift international mark used after swift set up its own export house in japan.  it does not tell you who made the telescope.

• k5apl likes this

#178 Kasmos

Kasmos

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 25 June 2024 - 01:07 PM

<BOL> I've seen a lot of similarities with <SYW> so it should be pretty good.

But this probably isn't the thread for this scope, this thread is specifically for the 60x800 scopes with no maker mark that we've determined most of which were Towa before the circle T made its appearance in ~1962.

Probably? You're being too polite. Definetly not the right thread.

In any case I can see that the finder is mounted on the focuser (SYW didn't do that), so it's most likely made by APL.

Let's end at this and have him start another thread if we are to continue on this scope.

• k5apl likes this

#179 k5apl

k5apl

Apollo

• Loc: Arkansas

Posted 25 June 2024 - 01:35 PM

Wow, I am mistaken that I posted in the Wrong thread.

I have deleted my Post.

Wes

Edit:  I apologize and will look for a more appropriate thread or start my own as was recommended.

Edited by k5apl, 25 June 2024 - 01:40 PM.

#180 Kasmos

Kasmos

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 25 June 2024 - 01:41 PM

Wow, I am so humbled that I posted in the Wrong thread.

I have deleted my Post.

Wes

No sweat. Lots of folks here like those and their syblings, so start a new thread on it, or post it in Finds 

• k5apl likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Classic, Equipment, Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics