•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Fast guide scope and camera

Equipment Polar Alignment
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Macroscopic

Macroscopic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 January 2022 - 11:46 AM

I’m moving over to astrophotography from photography and I’m currently working out what equipment I need and slowly acquiring it. I wondered if you could help me understand if I need anything ‘special’ with regards to guide scope and camera.

I’m intrigued by the Zwo AM5 harmonic mount - I seem to be their targeted user. But reading some initial comments I understand it requires at least 2fps (0.5 second) guiding. I’d initially be using a William Optics Zenithstar 73 III.

Would something like the William Optics 50mm f/4 scope paired with a ZWO ASI 120MM Mini guide camera be able to achieve this? Or does it need to be ‘faster’?

Edited by Macroscopic, 16 January 2022 - 11:47 AM.

#2 jonnybravo0311

jonnybravo0311

Soyuz

• Moderators
  • Loc: NJ, US

Posted 16 January 2022 - 11:53 AM

I don't use the AM5, but I have a very similar guiding setup with the 50mm f/4 and QHY 5L-II. I use 1" exposures with multi-star guiding and have no issues whatsoever locking on to multiple stars, so I think you'll be fine with that setup. You can always adjust your gain higher if necessary.

• Macroscopic likes this

#3 DeepSky Di

DeepSky Di

Apollo

• -----
  • Moderators

Posted 16 January 2022 - 12:08 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights! I use a WO GT81 (larger scope) with a WO Uniguide 30 (smaller guide scope) and I chose the 290MM mini guide camera because at the time there were USB compatibility issues reported with the 120MM.

• Macroscopic likes this

#4 matt_astro_tx

matt_astro_tx

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 17 January 2022 - 05:53 AM

I think you should be fine with the ASI120MM-Mini.

Why a 50mm guidescope?  You can grab the SV165 for $53 (on Amazon, no less) and it'll do the job.

#5 Macroscopic

Macroscopic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2022 - 11:54 AM

Thank you for the advice in this this thread.

If I were to buy an EQ mount I’d simply get the cheapest guiding system I could get away with considering I’d just be doing wide view astrophotography. However, as harmonic mounts are different I wanted to understand if there would be any additional considerations.

The Rainbow RST-135 is nearly twice the price of the unreleased AM5 yet that has large PE and requires at least 0.5 second exposures across multi-stars. I worry the AM5 would require even faster guidance…

I’m just trying to ascertain whether the following are important guiding variables given the unknown nature of the AM5:

• USB2 vs 3 (for fast frame guiding capture)
  • Sensor size
  • Scope size

Edited by Macroscopic, 17 January 2022 - 11:55 AM.

#6 FrostByte

FrostByte

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Posted 17 January 2022 - 12:06 PM

My little mount is an iExos-100, which needs to be guided aggressively to keep it under control... A ZWO 30mm guidescope and ASI120MM-mini (USB2) work just fine to tame the little beast at 0.5-1 second guiding.

• Macroscopic likes this

#7 NoDarkSkies

NoDarkSkies

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado City Colorado

Posted 17 January 2022 - 12:17 PM

USB 2 for Guide Camera and USB 3 for Main Imaging Camera.
I went with the ASI174MM Guide Camera for Guiding.

My Guide Telescopes are WO 50mm and one Guide Star 61
I use the ZWO 1.25" Helical FocuserZWO-HF1.25 on my Guide Scopes as well to make it easier to Focus.

Edited by NoDarkSkies, 17 January 2022 - 12:25 PM.

• Macroscopic likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment, Polar Alignment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics