•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkyView Pro EQ mount Upgrade potential?

Accessories Astrophotography Equipment Mount EQ
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ninja11b2b

ninja11b2b

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 January 2022 - 12:45 PM

Getting the Orion SkyView Pro 8" Equatorial Reflector Telescope and wondering if anyone has any experience with this EQ mount. Getting it for myself and my son but looking at potentially using it as a beginner into astrophotography for my wife.

She has a passion for photography (son has a small intrest) so I'm trying to share my passion of astronomy. Hidden agenda as well is, it never hurts to have the understanding and backing of House Hold 6 when you want to buy a new tube and don't have to beglol.gif. I figured what better way than adding her passion to mine, that way she can experience it in her own way.

I have plenty of experience and super comfortable with the manual control of an EQ mount which I personally enjoy (ADD) so I have never gotten into wanting to upgrade like this. The couple mounts I have are not able to accept anything like this and my son has asked me as well to entertain the idea of  "getting with the times" and upgrading eventually.

I will go with the GoTo upgrade kit for the kiddo eventually but unsure what the photography potential is or where to begin when considering this mount. 

I already know I should just stay away from Astrophotography but its for the wife and kid, so I'm willing to invest in this and learn something new. Who knows I might enjoy it too.

If anyone has any advice, tips or reviews it will go a long way because I have no idea what I am about to get into.

Edited by ninja11b2b, 16 January 2022 - 12:48 PM.

#2 Hesiod

Hesiod

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 January 2022 - 01:23 PM

Well, she can try for sure, but it would be much better if hers/yours attempt will be made with her photographic equipment (my advice is lenses up to 200mm, the faster the better) and not by linking the camera to the bulking reflector. Of course a tracking drive is required and for focals over 400mm I would want also the autoguiding equipment.

I see you are accustomed to eq mounts, so mind that if have already astronomical equipment the Skyview is basically the same as the eq5 and old cg5, which in turn are "close siblings" of the old Vixen Super Polaris.

#3 tog

tog

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Front Yard

Posted 16 January 2022 - 04:19 PM

I like the SkyView Pro mounts and presently own two of them. One has the ra and dec drives, while the other has the goto system. These upgrades are easy to attach to the mount. I have tried very little astrophotography with these mounts, but it is something I want to get into. I picked up a used Canon Ti3 and just to get used to its settings I took an image of the double cluster in Perseus. The exposure was about 1 min. I was just trying to learn the camera, but the mount did okay for a simple polar alignment. 

#4 ninja11b2b

ninja11b2b

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 January 2022 - 04:25 PM

Well, she can try for sure, but it would be much better if hers/yours attempt will be made with her photographic equipment (my advice is lenses up to 200mm, the faster the better) and not by linking the camera to the bulking reflector. Of course a tracking drive is required and for focals over 400mm I would want also the autoguiding equipment.

I see you are accustomed to eq mounts, so mind that if have already astronomical equipment the Skyview is basically the same as the eq5 and old cg5, which in turn are "close siblings" of the old Vixen Super Polaris.

O yes, planning on using her current equipment so as not to invest on that front on the off chance its not for her or me. Future endeavor if it turns out fun for her.  I'm not sure what you mean by linking the camera to the reflector. I've gotten it into my head after doing a bit of research that I can use a T-ring for her camera of choosing and both the 2 inch (for reflector), 1.25 inch (for my refractors) prime focus adapter and just popping that puppy in and letting her go at it and learn on my refractor. The tracking drive will be the Goto upgrade kit I assume and it does Sidereal, Solar and Lunar. What is the reason behind the autoguiding equipment if the GoTo kit does the tracking, is this to alleviate the periodic errors during long exposures? Starting out both my son and wife have shown interest in starting out with solar system objects first to get a feel for it then the potential goes from there.

#5 ninja11b2b

ninja11b2b

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 January 2022 - 04:34 PM

I like the SkyView Pro mounts and presently own two of them. One has the ra and dec drives, while the other has the goto system. These upgrades are easy to attach to the mount. I have tried very little astrophotography with these mounts, but it is something I want to get into. I picked up a used Canon Ti3 and just to get used to its settings I took an image of the double cluster in Perseus. The exposure was about 1 min. I was just trying to learn the camera, but the mount did okay for a simple polar alignment. 

The fact you used a Canon Ti3 easies my mind. She will more than likely use her 60D and the Ti3 is similar I believe.

• tog likes this

#6 tog

tog

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Front Yard

Posted 16 January 2022 - 11:32 PM

The fact you used a Canon Ti3 easies my mind. She will more than likely use her 60D and the Ti3 is similar I believe.

The 60D is a good choice. Something else to consider is the polar alignment scope that fits the SVP mount. In the past this was an item that had to be purchased separately. I don't know if they include it today. Here it is: https://www.telescop...alignment scope

Edited by tog, 16 January 2022 - 11:34 PM.

#7 Hesiod

Hesiod

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 January 2022 - 12:04 PM

I

O yes, planning on using her current equipment so as not to invest on that front on the off chance its not for her or me. Future endeavor if it turns out fun for her.  I'm not sure what you mean by linking the camera to the reflector. I've gotten it into my head after doing a bit of research that I can use a T-ring for her camera of choosing and both the 2 inch (for reflector), 1.25 inch (for my refractors) prime focus adapter and just popping that puppy in and letting her go at it and learn on my refractor. The tracking drive will be the Goto upgrade kit I assume and it does Sidereal, Solar and Lunar. What is the reason behind the autoguiding equipment if the GoTo kit does the tracking, is this to alleviate the periodic errors during long exposures? Starting out both my son and wife have shown interest in starting out with solar system objects first to get a feel for it then the potential goes from there.

Exactly that: the t-ring turns the telescope into a sort of "lens" but I advise against it. Use her lenses, 135 to 200mm are good for single targets, while shorter ones (e.g. <50mm) are for Milky way,  constellations, etc...

The goto kit ensures the telescope can be "automatically" aimed to the target, but does not improve the smoothness of the tracking; that is the role of the autoguider as you guessed.

In my opinion adding the guider is the most practical way to get easily good shots ("subs") at focals above 300mm but for most of us this implies the purchase of other equipment: therefore is not something I suggest to go straight now, especially because the Skyview is a rather "marginal" mount for deep-sky AP in the current environment (in other words, if plan to thread along this path it would be much safer, and in the mid term less expensive, to start from now with a better and more capable mount such as the Sirius or Atlas)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, Astrophotography, Equipment, Mount, EQ

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics