•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Strange Mallincam DS10CTEC problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jmsikora

jmsikora

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2022 - 10:13 AM

I thought I would pass this on. I'm running a LONG series of DARK exposures in preparation to send my DS10CTEC to a remote site. In the course of doing this, I am using N.I.N.A to create the array of exposures at various gains, exposures, and binnings for future reference and calibration with Pixinsight.

What ends up happening is that, at about the 4 hour time period (independent of the number of or duration of each exposure), the camera will hang and N.I.N.A. can no longer retrieve the image from the camera. The only way around it is to unplug the USB cable and replug it in, restarting the exposures at the point of failure. It then runs, happily, for about 4 hours and fails again. I can repeat this as often as needed. :) 

I have reported it to Mallincam and, I think they have replicated it, but haven't heard back definitively.

It is not an issue of the USB port being put to sleep (since it does not do to sleep based on a USB monitor and trace that I've taken). It's also not a problem with N.I.N.A since I can replicate it with the standard current release of the Mallincam software as well. 

Thought I would pass this on, just in case someone else is running into it and getting frustrated.

#2 jmsikora

jmsikora

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 January 2022 - 04:14 PM

It looks like the camera fails after almost exactly 255 minutes (yep, that's the number). Let me ask the question a different way. Has anyone kept their DS10TEC connected to MCS software for more than 255 minutes. And by that, I mean a continuous connection for that length of time). I'm working with their support but thought I would put out a general query, just in case.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics