•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Standing Tall

Art Sketching
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JMSchwartz

JMSchwartz

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Simi Valley California 93065

Posted 17 January 2022 - 02:49 PM

This painting is very important to me as it is symbolic of my struggle to stand up tall and walk again after undergoing hip replacement surgery.
This portrait of a Moonlight Sequoia in the Celestial Forest is 16"×20" hand painted Acrylic and Airbrushed painting on canvas covered board, I took this picture with a camera from a vacation to Kings Canyon
California on the eavening of June 20 2016. Today I am Standing Tall & so Greatful for this second chance to Man the 28" Again .
On the last Trip to Mount Pinos I had made it to the 1st base camp of Everest in 2 nights according to my Fit Bit which was roughly about 17,598 ' , @ F-4.67 & a 118" focal length That is alot of Tallman ladder steps to the Eyepiece!! Our Crew operates from Sundown to
Sunup oh unless someone has a Solor scope then its 24 - 7.
Thanks again Clear & Steady Skies
Always Jon

Attached Thumbnails

• 20211208_065642.jpg

Edited by JMSchwartz, 17 January 2022 - 05:27 PM.

• Magellanico, frank5817, Astrojensen and 9 others like this

#2 Stellar1

Stellar1

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Juuuust outside Toronto

Posted 17 January 2022 - 04:38 PM

That is awesome, great to hear you’re standing again and ready for some observing!. A 28” you say? you can stand but can you climb? lol.gif

Edited by Stellar1, 17 January 2022 - 04:40 PM.

#3 gcs111

gcs111

Vostok 1

Posted 19 January 2022 - 03:48 AM

Hey Jon....

Your rendition of the bark on the sequoia is awesome..... very real looking.

And we, that have taller scopes, know all those steps keep us warm on the colder nights : )

Gerry

#4 E-Ray

E-Ray

Mariner 2

• Loc: Austin, TX

Posted 20 January 2022 - 07:40 PM

Hey Jon,

Congratulations on your recovery from hip surgery!

I love this painting - especially how you capture the star shadows on the bark. PM me if this is available for purchase.

Take it easy on your new hip! You don't want to have to go through replacement surgery after climbing Mt. Everest.

Regards, Ed

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Art, Sketching

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics