•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Different cameras and different scopes....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Romero

Paul Romero

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 17 January 2022 - 07:51 PM

Hi all,

I received Pixinsight for Christmas and I worked very hard last week. So, I am getting a rotator for my imaging train.

If I use my cool rotator and the framing assistant in NINA to pick out just the right shot, can I easily align and combine subs of the same object from other cameras and scopes to add to my data without having to rotate their chips to the exact same position?

Clear Skies,

Paul

#2 KungFood

KungFood

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Tx

Posted 17 January 2022 - 07:55 PM

You can star align your images from different sensors in PI, as well as resample the images to match the pixel scale of whichever you choose as the master image. You will end up losing frame size when cropping out the rotation artifacts, but it is doable. I think the usual way to resample is to downsample the highest resolution to match the lowest, but I could easily be wrong.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#3 Professor2112

Professor2112

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 17 January 2022 - 07:55 PM

I’ve never actually done this, but with my experience processing astro images, even with the same rotation… I’d imagine there would be some serious cropping going on if the sensors are at wildly different rotations at the very least.  We’ll have to wait for the more experienced in this subject to chime in to know for sure.  

• bobzeq25 likes this

#4 Paul Romero

Paul Romero

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 17 January 2022 - 09:07 PM

Hello Kungfood and Professor,

I really believe this will be a significant upside for my year of imaging. I have cobbled together three different scopes, and all have the APS-C sensor (ones a KAF8300 and the other is a Sony). It remains to be seen if I can learn the processing techniques. I have contacted Patriot Astro YouTube to see if he is interested in doing a video. If anyone else has a link that would help that would be great!

Clear Skies,

Paul

#5 ekallgren

ekallgren

Viking 1

• Loc: Northern Nevada, Reno

Posted 19 January 2022 - 02:37 PM

Hi Paul,

Just register or do a “StarAlignment” on the smaller image and then you can combine them. If you register on the smaller size image, you will have a better chance you won't have to crop the masters, there should be be no bad edges if you were using a "Rotator".

Eric

• Paul Romero likes this

#6 Paul Romero

Paul Romero

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2022 - 03:26 PM

Hi,

I understand that using the higher resolution smaller image is the way to go. I now see this makes sense!

Clear Skies,
Paul

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics