•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Let's plan our CloudyNights EAA Gathering for Feb. and for the Marathon in March!

• Please log in to reply
376 replies to this topic

#1 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Mercury-Atlas

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Louisville, Kentucky

Posted 17 January 2022 - 11:37 PM

Hello gang! Let's plan our CloudyNights EAA Gathering for February! It's West Coast North America's turn! And during the February gathering, let's plan for the 2022 Messier Marathon, which will be just one week later!

messier_marathon_summary_poster_screenshot.jpg

As you recall, we rotate for "ideal viewing conditions" from 1) Western Europe, to 2) North America Pacific Time Zone, then to 3) North America Eastern Time Zone, and then to 4) Australia, so that within 4 months, everybody gets ideal times and, hopefully, conditions.

So in partnership with some of our West Coast North America observers, they've selected Sunday evening, February 27th, 8pm to 10pm Los Angeles time. 

To figure out what time that will be for you locally, just go to:

https://www.timeandd...9&p3=136&p4=240

To register, just go to this Zoom link:

https://us02web.zoom...3_ACaNuDKVdw1F4

Note that this link is the registration link, not the link to log on. After you register, you'll receive a custom-link just for your use. Please don't share it with others. Instead, please recommend they register separately. In this way, we know exactly how many to expect and how many might have a scope up and running - all in advance. So this means - please register in advance. Don't wait until the night of the gathering. Also, if you don't receive the log-on link from Zoom within a few minutes after registering, please check your spam folder. Sometimes, our colleagues are finding that certain email clients are sending those Zoom links into their "Promotions" tab (or plain "Spam"), sadly. If you STILL can't find it, just message me and we'll sort it out.

At these gatherings, we 1) try to share some "live views" from CloudyNights colleagues living in the region we're highlighting, 2) bring group members up to date on what we've been upgrading or working on recently (each of us gives a 3-minute to 5-minute update), 3) ask questions based on mysteries we're trying to solve, and 4) practice for the Messier Marathon, which will take place throughout the night beginning with astronomical darkness on March 5th, wherever you live in the world. To check out our most recent gathering, watch the recording at...

https://youtu.be/Za2Eu60--mM

To experience the (more-or-less) full-length 2021 Messier Marathon all over again with us (if you dare), click to...

https://youtu.be/eILh_9JJUtY

If you'd rather watch the 30-minute compressed version, which contains an image of all 110 Messier Catalogue objects (captured using EAA techniques), click to...

https://youtu.be/xRoRTQdMXVI

Again, at this February meeting, we'll go over in detail the way we can approach the Messier Marathon together as an EAA team. We invite any and all to participate with us, even if you haven't yet made it to any of the monthly meetings throughout the year. But please do try to come to this February meeting because we literally plan to rehearse the way the marathon will work, complete with demonstrating what we can do with the EAA "snapshot" images we capture throughout the Marathon together.

For those who REALLY want to take part in the full-meal-deal global Marathon, the Zoom/YouTube live-stream will begin March 5 at 9pm Adelaide time and continue through at least 5am West Coast North American time. To get a sense of when the Zoom link (and corresponding YouTube live-stream) will commence on March 5th, just click to:

https://www.timeandd...6&p4=179&p5=137

In this thread, we'll try to share all the details as well -- but the real dress rehearsal and "shake down" will take place at this February meeting, so, again, please use the Zoom link above to register and take part if at all possible. Hope to see you then!

Questions? Ask away! That's why we created this thread! : )

Doug and the 70+ CloudyNights EAA Team!

• roelb and Mikehuerto like this

#2 mikenoname

mikenoname

Apollo

• Loc: Death Valley Region (Bortle 2 - SQM 21.9+)

Posted 17 January 2022 - 11:43 PM

Just registered. Let's hope the weather gods approve. :)

• EmeraldHills likes this

#3 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Mercury-Atlas

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 January 2022 - 12:20 AM

We're with you on that, Mike. We need those still, dark-sky nights from your location! : )

Just registered. Let's hope the weather gods approve. smile.gif

#4 nother

nother

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hamburg, Germany

Posted 18 January 2022 - 01:42 AM

Registered cool.gif and looking forward 

#5 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Aurora

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 18 January 2022 - 02:29 AM

Doug, my apologies, as I will probably pass on the 0400 am London time (February) session, although I might possibly catch the last half hour.

However, count me in for the Messier Marathon, where I will dip in and out depending on time zones (like I did last year). I only have unobstructed skies South and West. So in March, many of the Messier objects North or low or the horizon are inaccessible to me, whilst many of the remainder are visible at truly awkward times, so I need to do some planning. Let's hope UK skies are not their usual cruel worst.

#6 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Mercury-Atlas

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 January 2022 - 06:10 PM

Let's hope indeed, Phil!

And that's no problem. That's why we're a team. : )

#7 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Mercury-Atlas

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 January 2022 - 11:04 PM

Here's a video-announcement. Hope you can join us! To get started, just throw your hat in the ring in this thread. See the instructions above in the first post. We'd love to have you take part!

messier_marathon-2022-announcement_video-500.png

https://youtu.be/qGYVivbi_uo

• geminijk and roelb like this

#8 PapaTech

PapaTech

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: DeLand, FL

Posted 18 January 2022 - 11:14 PM

The Marathon sounds like fun. Looking forward to making an attempt.
  • EmeraldHills and steveincolo like this

#9 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Mercury-Atlas

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 January 2022 - 11:36 PM

PapaTech, thanks so much. It wasn't until AFTER the live-stream above that I noticed you had taken the time to stop by DURING the live-stream and say hi. I'm so sorry I didn't noticed it while streaming! Too many things going on at once. But please know - I wasn't trying to ignore you. (It just came naturally to me! haha) Anyway, we'd LOVE to have you take part! Please, if you would be so kind, drop me a direct message using the CloudyNights messenger and share with me your best email for this purpose - and we'll get you an invitation to use that sheet that we demonstrated during the video. Thanks again!

Doug

#10 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Mercury-Atlas

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 18 January 2022 - 11:37 PM

Oh -- and welcome to CloudyNights EAA forum! It looks like that was your first post! We're so glad to have you here as part of the team!

#11 hornjs

hornjs

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Billings, MT

Posted 19 January 2022 - 01:08 AM

I sure hope I can help view some objects during the marathon this year.  Looking forward to it again Doug!

#12 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Mercury-Atlas

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2022 - 07:25 AM

For sure. At least this year, going in, we're already planning for two different dates, just in case. I imagine it's a pretty sure bet that we'll just give it a whirl both times... because surely SOMEONE's weather won't cooperate on the first go-round.

• hornjs likes this

#13 jkelly

jkelly

Vostok 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 19 January 2022 - 04:26 PM

I was wondering what the Messier sky would be like on March 5th, and saw a post that provided a script for Stellarium to view only the Messier objects:  https://www.cloudyni...essier-objects/

I then set the date and ran the script and did a screencam of it. This gives me an Idea of what to expect.

Others can use as well. 

Here is a video of the screencam: North top. (I think I did it right).

https://www.dropbox....52021.mp4?raw=1

Jeff

• EmeraldHills, roelb and PapaTech like this

#14 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Mercury-Atlas

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2022 - 09:41 PM

Nice work, Jeff! Well done!

I was wondering what the Messier sky would be like on March 5th, and saw a post that provided a script for Stellarium to view only the Messier objects:  https://www.cloudyni...essier-objects/

I then set the date and ran the script and did a screencam of it. This gives me an Idea of what to expect.

Others can use as well. 

Jeff

#15 Kye

Kye

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 February 2022 - 02:15 PM

Hi there! This looks interesting, tho I'm not sure what all the "this" is. I'm in central Florida here, co-hosting a small (annual) gathering of members of the Astronomical Society of the Palm Beaches for the weekend of 2/24 thru 2/27, with alternate dates of 3/3 thru 3/6. My neighbor and I are the ones with the property in the country, but others are doing the actual coordinating and etc. I think there are going to be at least 9 or 10 here on the 27th, staying for the night. 

I'm wondering if I should suggest that they sign up to participate, depending on what that would involve. Don't know right offhand what kind of astro-vid streaming might be available, but quite possibly could be some. Could be fun. ???

#16 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Mercury-Atlas

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 02 February 2022 - 06:11 PM

Hi Kye. It would be great to have you aboard! We basically try, in one long night, to capture all 110 Messier Catalogue objects (using EAA techniques) in whatever time zone we're living. Working as a team on Zoom, we watch each other's scopes and share in each other's findings and joy. It's like being in an astronomy club across nations and continents, all doing the marathon together.

Maybe the best way to get the big picture would be to watch the 30-minute "compressed version" of last year's EAA team marathon:

https://youtu.be/xRoRTQdMXVI

After you watch that 30-minute summary version, you could also catch this 13-minute tutorial of how we hope to work it this year:

If you're interested in taking part, just send me (through a direct message if you like) your email address -- and/or the email addresses of anyone in your group who would like to take part as well. We're all in this together!

Doug

#17 SanjeevJoshi

SanjeevJoshi

Viking 1

• Loc: Longwood FL

Posted 04 February 2022 - 07:53 AM

Doug, I cant make the Feb gathering due to travel but count this charter participant in for the Marathon.   I am in a much better location - time zone and latitude wise compared with our first Marathon :)

Now in the greater Orlando area, finally got my RASA 8 set up tuned with unobstructed views all around, still enjoying the 2600 MC Pro, 183 MC Pro and the two filters - Quad and LPR.

To those in Central Florida -- I am happy to host sometime in my backyard with the RASA 8 and Stellina dual viewing.   I am off exit 98 on 4.  Traveling next 2 to 3 weeks but March should be fun.

#18 Mikehuerto

Mikehuerto

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Valencia, Spain

Posted 04 February 2022 - 09:39 AM

Thanks Doug... just registered. It will be 5 am - 7 am here in Spain. Looks like I might have observable darkness for the first 1.5 hrs. Will have the big Dobson fired up and ready to go!

CS

Mike

#19 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Mercury-Atlas

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 04 February 2022 - 10:06 AM

Sanjeev!!!!!!!!! This is fantastic. It would not have been the same without you. And now you're even farther south. Love it.

When you get a moment, would you please calculate if your southeastern horizon will permit you to catch M30, just in the final minutes of the night please? See if you have a nasty tree or building in the way.

Looking forward to it.

If you'll miss the February gathering, please do try to see these two videos, if you have a second sometime:

and

https://youtu.be/3uONmzqhi9w

They'll show you the new work flow we're proposing.

Looking forward to the marathon with you, Sanjeev!

Doug, I cant make the Feb gathering due to travel but count this charter participant in for the Marathon.   I am in a much better location - time zone and latitude wise compared with our first Marathon smile.gif

Now in the greater Orlando area, finally got my RASA 8 set up tuned with unobstructed views all around, still enjoying the 2600 MC Pro, 183 MC Pro and the two filters - Quad and LPR.

To those in Central Florida -- I am happy to host sometime in my backyard with the RASA 8 and Stellina dual viewing.   I am off exit 98 on 4.  Traveling next 2 to 3 weeks but March should be fun.

#20 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Mercury-Atlas

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 04 February 2022 - 10:06 AM

Mike, that's awesome!

Thanks Doug... just registered. It will be 5 am - 7 am here in Spain. Looks like I might have observable darkness for the first 1.5 hrs. Will have the big Dobson fired up and ready to go!

CS

Mike

#21 Mikehuerto

Mikehuerto

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Valencia, Spain

Posted 04 February 2022 - 11:35 AM

Others can use as well. 

Jeff

Jeff, that great!  Here's my Messier view from Spain 5 am on Feb 28th. (assuming clear skies!)

I assume, that script could be edited for any list of objects. Very useful!!

CS

Mike

Attached Thumbnails

• MessierFOVFeb272022-50p.png

#22 SanjeevJoshi

SanjeevJoshi

Viking 1

• Loc: Longwood FL

Posted 05 February 2022 - 10:45 AM

Sounds good.   M30 is a bit iffy from my backyard.  I will do some scouting in the next few weeks, and consider 2 options:

1.   Set up RASA in a field nearby.  If anything can get an image when a few seconds count, the RASA can

2.   Use RASA from backyard and Stellina from a nearby open area.  Do my RASA thing for other objects and head over to an open area early am

Will circle back on my final plan.

I went thru videos, looks like we are using Smartsheet.  Can you post the links (of at least a sample) so I can do a quick dry run on my own?  I am traveling next few weeks but will be back home in time to get ready!

Sanjeev!!!!!!!!! This is fantastic. It would not have been the same without you. And now you're even farther south. Love it.

When you get a moment, would you please calculate if your southeastern horizon will permit you to catch M30, just in the final minutes of the night please? See if you have a nasty tree or building in the way.

Looking forward to it.

If you'll miss the February gathering, please do try to see these two videos, if you have a second sometime:

and

https://youtu.be/3uONmzqhi9w

They'll show you the new work flow we're proposing.

Looking forward to the marathon with you, Sanjeev!

#23 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Mercury-Atlas

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 05 February 2022 - 01:55 PM

Hi Sanjeev. Great response.

Sounds good.

I think we need at least a COUPLE of us trying to lasso M30. That seems to be the killer. And you'll recall how we ALMOST missed it last year, simply because we underestimated how much it would be lost in the sun. Thanks for scouting out options. If all goes well, I hope to be set up in my observatory by then. But I've already checked: M30 will NOT be visible on the morning of the night of the Messier Marathon from my observatory. But I did find another location on our organization's property where I SHOULD  be able to set up separately, apart from the observatory, if need be. Another factor will be weather. Any one of us could end up being clouded over. So we need at least a few of us to try to be set up for M30 - then hope that ONE of us has a clear night. : )

To track our observations, actually, we were hoping to use the database function of a new kind of sheet called Notion. You'll see it in the videos. I'll invite you. Hope to see you there soon.

#24 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Mercury-Atlas

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 11 February 2022 - 07:58 AM

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Important: Here's the sign-up link for the Marathon itself - March 5th.

When: Mar 5, 2022 10:30 AM Universal Time UTC

Register in advance for this meeting:
https://us02web.zoom...-1UjTu8xJh-7LsL

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Note that we'll have to start this at 10:30am GMT. To convert this to your own time zone, just click to:

https://www.timeandd...6&p4=179&p5=137

to accommodate our team members in Australia. 

We'll have to run the Zoom room for around 26 hours straight. Yup. That's why they call it the CloudyNights EAA Team Messier Marathon. : ) It's pure darkness for somebody on our team for 26 hours straight. : )

Be sure to sign up in advance. That's a registration link - not the Zoom meeting link itself. Again, after you register using the link above, you'll receive your own personal, private Zoom meeting link. Please don't share your personal Zoom link with others.

Doug

• roelb likes this

#25 Marco Prunotto

Marco Prunotto

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland (Romandie)

Posted 13 February 2022 - 12:00 PM

Hi Doug,

I hope I can be up for the EEA marathon this year.

I'm in Boston March 1-3 for business but hopefully back to Switzerland for the 5th.

I have finally the RASA 11 (with ASI 6200pro mono) and the CFF 8" apo (with ASI2400mc pro) setup in my observatory.

When should we join from Europe?

Best regards,

Marco 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics