•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is it cheaper/easier to start with film?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
55 replies to this topic

#51 JBull

JBull

Messenger

• -----

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:22 AM

There is another photographer in this forum, Paul Lennous from Austin, TX, that also shoots with a Schmidt-Cassegrain and a f/6.3 focal reducer. He takes some very nice shots, search this film forum and you will find them. Here is one I found:
http://www.cloudynig...5/o/all/fpart/1

He made be able to give some very specific advice. Most of us shoot with refractors or newts with fast focal ratios.

#52 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 October 2006 - 05:04 AM

But until then I just might pick up a Canon OM-1 from Ebay and an F6.3 reducer just to try to get my feet wet.

Rev, when looking for the OM-1, note that this is an OLYMPUS camera, not Canon. For some reason, and I do not know why, but I see many folks on here think the OM-1 is a Canon. They may be confusing it with the Canon AE-1?

CF

#53 Rev2010

Rev2010

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:51 AM

Rev, when looking for the OM-1, note that this is an OLYMPUS camera, not Canon

Actually, I did know that. I typed in error. Seeing everyone talk about Canon 300D and 5D must've clogged my thinking. I've already checked out the Olympus OM-1's on EBay and even had a bid on a really low priced one but was out bid even at a $50 max bid. Will try again.

Rev.

#54 Nodda Duma

Nodda Duma

Vendor - Glass Plate Imaging

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:44 AM

Rev,

Check out astromart.com. OM-1's come up for sale fairly often there.

-Jason

#55 eps0mu0

eps0mu0

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:49 AM

The thread may be officially over, but I think this might be an informative post, especially for those trying to get into imaging on the cheap. The attached shot was taken about 20yrs ago... in the wee hours of Feb 1986. I had just gotten interested in astrophotography, and here is the equipment used:
a) Minolta manual camera (X-700, or something like that??)
b) 135mm/f3.5 telephoto lens, purchased for $30 at Service Merchandise.
c) home-built barndoor tracker. Hand powered. Cost... who knows. Most of the wood was scrap, purchased hinges, 5" 1/4-20 bolt, camera swivel mount, other misc hardware. Borrowed a 1/4-20 tap.
Plans for such trackers have been extensively published in Sky+Telescope, and is probably easily available with a simple search on the web.

Exposure:
ASA1600 film. 3min. f3.5, 135mm lens.
M6/7 in the tail of Scorpius. Location: about 10mi east of Austin, TX. Very early morning sometime in Feb 1986.
I recently scanned the negative, and tried to do rudimentary post-processing in Photoshop Elements. I don't know how the results will look when you open the file on your PC (after the hefty compression to meet image submission guidelines), but the print from the negative looks pretty *Gosh, dang dibbity dag nabbit* good for minimal amount of equipment, and given the use of manual guiding (basically I turned the crank at 1rev/min, looking at a watch with a sweep second hand to guide my rotation speed).
I recommend any beginners to just go out there and do it!
Regards,
J.F.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1212227-M6-7.jpg

#56 ClownFish

ClownFish

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 October 2006 - 10:53 AM

That's not manual guiding, it manual TRACKING! :goodjob:

CF

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics