•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pro-Optic 20mm Plössl from the 1990's

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gaia9573

Gaia9573

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2022 - 02:45 AM

I just took delivery of a used, vintage 1990's Pro-Optic volcano-topped smoothie Plössl in 20mm focal length.

It looks remarkably similar to the Taiwanese-manufactured Orion Sirius Plössls made during the same time, with its "o-ring" at the top.

Does anyone remember what the verdict was on these Pro-Optics? The one I have is in gorgeous shape and I'm sending some photons through it for the first time with tonight's moon, but I'd also love to hear what other members have to say about it.

Thanks in advance . . .
  • Rick-T137 likes this

#2 vtornado

vtornado

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NE Illinois

Posted 19 January 2022 - 08:05 AM

I saw one on ebay a few weeks ago for sale, it looked interesting.  I could not find info on it either.  The bidding got to rich for me.

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 19 January 2022 - 08:18 AM

I believe they were the same as the Celestron "Halloween" Plossls.

Jon

#4 Gaia9573

Gaia9573

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 19 January 2022 - 10:30 AM

Thanks, Jon.

#5 RLK1

RLK1

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 19 January 2022 - 09:32 PM

I've got a couple of these pro-optic plossls purchased back in the day when there were being sold by Adorama which is where the pro-optic name comes from.  Pretty much your basic, everyday driver, generic plossl; nothing special. The five element ultima/ultrascopes and equivalents sold back then were/are better, based upon my experience with them. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics