•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pre dry run set up check list with new setup

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 wxcloud

wxcloud

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 19 January 2022 - 10:29 PM

I'm coming from ekos on a Linux system to windows 10. There seems to be more pieces that need to be put together. Using ekos everything was basically right there in the program. I kind of have an idea where to start but haven't fired everything up yet. Just got the hardware placed together a little bit ago, software on windows had been installed but not launched (other than sharpcap for attempting EAA, which I'm not sure I like and fire capture)

Hardware:
AVX (for now)
Ascom
Zwo eaf
Zwo EFW
Asi1600mm
Zwo oag with helical focuser
Asi290mm mini for guide camera

Will likely need to run dew straps but have manual controller for that

On the laptop
Nina
Ascom
Cpwi
Astap for plate solving (I'm sure I point Nina to it) along with the large catalog database
Phd2

Sharpcap and fire capture but those are for different purposes.

I'm guessing I'll need to open Nina or ascom and point something to something somewhere. I'll check some vids but pretty much this is a fresh install.

I do want to run this set up from inside and since wifi isn't great I'll (and yes, I know some of you will roll your eyes) run a USB repeater line to the scope side USB 3 hub.

I'm honestly not sure on this setup already. I kind of not sure where to start, or well what the next steps are to get the ball rolling on the computer side. I almost want to go running back to Linux but I wasn't really good with that platform either but could kind of get things going.

So far I got:
Set gear up outside and wire it up, run power and data lines.

Pole master (with old laptop) once dark

Plug data and power lines in, power up computer and probably rip my hair out?

Guessing load up ascom first and select mount and cameras and accessories?
Load up Nina, set up a new profile with scope and guiding and accessories like EFW, eaf, mount cameras? Point Nina to cpwi (heard this helps with disconnects). And point to astap somewhere.

If everything talks to one another and I have control of the mount, point the rig to an object and have it plate solve

Load up phd2 and probably tell it about the set up, make sure it knows the mount and telescope and camera fov and metrics. Calibrate and hopefully guide?

This seams like a mountain to climb? I'm very uncertain and a wee bit uncomfortable with the new computer setup...

#2 ETtheExtraterrestrial

ETtheExtraterrestrial

Messenger

• -----

Posted 19 January 2022 - 10:46 PM

Def not being negative but you’re setting yourself up for a painfully frustrating evening. I’d suggest doing pieces of this work in the comfort of your home before setting everything up and having no idea what’s going right or wrong.

Clearly you have experience but the, I point something to somewhere leans me to believe there’s a learning curve here with your setup. I’m sure you’ll figure it all out, it’s just is it worth setting everything up. Really it’s what’s your expectations for the evening.
  • dswtan likes this

#3 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 19 January 2022 - 11:02 PM

You need to download and install all of the drivers for your components. I think that you missed that. They are not part of ASCOM at all. I would never do this at night. Remember to check Device Manager to make sure that all of the components are seen by Windows before trying out any imaging software. If Windows doesn't see your camera then Sharpcap won't either. 

When I switch out a computer I start in the morning. It usually takes me about 3 hours to go from scratch to up and running. It will take you quite a while. Good luck using a repeater. Personally I've tried that 4 times and only one has worked flawlessly. I don't know why. It will be even worse with USB 3.

I'd recommend putting a wifi extender up in the house as close as you can to the system before giving into a cable. No mouse has ever eaten wifi. No imager at 2AM has ever tripped over wifi. 

#4 scottdevine

scottdevine

Vostok 1

• Loc: St Louis, MO

Posted 19 January 2022 - 11:27 PM

I would try ALL of this in the comfort of your home first. REALLY

Get everything connected inside so you can watch the problem solving YouTube videos you will need.

I would also highly recommend watching Nina videos by PatriotAstro on YouTube. Start at the beginning. He will really help you.

Hardest thing I to not get frustrated. You will notice that most of the amazing pictures you see are by people who have been doing this for years. The stars aren't going anywhere. Take your time to set everything up. I've been doing this for 9 months and I just now think I'm making some progress.
  • EPinNC likes this

#5 wxcloud

wxcloud

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2022 - 11:43 PM

Oh drivers are installed. I think. The zwo main driver that has to be installed for sure. At least the cameras are detected by sharpcap and fire capture.

This piece by piece approach with windows and drivers and independent programs is giving me second thoughts already. I'm sure if I manage to get things outside and put together I'll come up empty. One potential clear sky tomorrow for a while again...

Yeah I definitely can and probably should do this indoors. This is a lot to take in.

Almost tempted to try the asiair pro route again or run back to a fresh Linux install.

#6 wxcloud

wxcloud

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 January 2022 - 02:01 AM

Well, at least got a plan B kind of in play. Managed to get the little used asiair pro set up on it, firmware updated, things connected at least indoors. Last I tried this thing I thought it was a brick because of a failed firmware update. Seems to talk to the mount (AVX).

Might end up moving it to the redcat for a more compact setting and use the AT80EDT with the windows set up.

#7 OldManSky

OldManSky

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 20 January 2022 - 08:33 AM

Just to be clear...

You don't really ever need to "start ASCOM."  

The first time you use NINA and PHD2, you're going to need to select the hardware you're using from drop-down lists.  One time.  Once you've done that and connected, those pieces of software remember what you connected to, and the next time you don't need to select them again -- they'll be "pre-populated" in the software, and you just hit a "connect all" button.  

You'll need to tell NINA what platesolver you're using, and where it is on your computer.  Once.  Then it will use it every time after that.

You'll need to tell NINA you're using PHD2.  Once.  Then you just have to hit that "connect all" and it'll automatically connect.  If PHD2 isn't already running, NINA will start it once you connect to it.

There is a one-time setup, basically.  As others have already mentioned, do that inside during the daytime.  Make sure everything has drivers, and connects to your software.  Setup NINA and PHD2 and platesolving.  Then when you do it again outside, it'll all be ready to go.

• dswtan and matt_astro_tx like this

#8 EPinNC

EPinNC

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC, USA

Posted 20 January 2022 - 09:45 AM

Hardest thing I to not get frustrated. You will notice that most of the amazing pictures you see are by people who have been doing this for years. The stars aren't going anywhere. Take your time to set everything up. I've been doing this for 9 months and I just now think I'm making some progress.

This is probably the best advice for astrophotography ever given.

• OldManSky likes this

#9 wxcloud

wxcloud

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 January 2022 - 12:26 AM

I think frustrated is what got my last time. Between the guiding issues I can't seem to track down or understand it's really made it hard to get back out. Very frustrating when you go weeks or months on end, finally get time and energy to get the rig out and gear acts up or I don't know how to work it.

I kind of do want to replace a mount or both. I'm sure the AVX is not the best mount to do this with but the frustration I had with the EQ 6 R pro and ekos I almost wanted to just dump the thing and hobby.

Thought I'd have a small opportunity to test at least the plan B set up with the asiair tonight (which I really haven't used) but got socked with fog this time...

Edited by wxcloud, 21 January 2022 - 12:27 AM.

#10 Psychlist1972

Psychlist1972

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 21 January 2022 - 01:05 AM

Like others said, you can do almost all of this from inside your home, with a heater on :)

You install ASCOM and the camera drivers, PHD2, and NINA. But you don't need to run anything there. Once you start NINA, and connect the device you selected, everything else is done for you. Eventually, you'll be able to load up NINA, click the "connect all" at the bottom left, and just let it spin for a couple seconds. But you do need to tell NINA which camera, focuser, guider, etc. by picking from their lists.

There's a NINA discord, and they also have good docs online. Their latest beta is quite stable so if you have any stomach for that, I recommend it.

Are you using a mini PC on the scope, or is everything controlled via laptop? The setup I use is a miniPC on the scope, all wiring to it. Then I connect to it over Wifi and remote desktop. No USB repeaters required, and less concern about any possible tangles.

I moved to NINA from the ASIAir. Yes, the ASIAir is plug & play, but you are also limited to using only ZWO hardware, and their sequencer is well behind what others have in products like NINA.

Pete

#11 wxcloud

wxcloud

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 January 2022 - 02:36 AM

Haven't opened the mini PC yet. Shouldn't have bought it actually. It's a beelink u57. Been sitting for a year in it's box haven't even powered it on. I haven't even used windows for a long time and it's getting very difficult to do what I want to do without it. So, trying to figure out things with what I need for imaging.

With ekos on my Linux laptop pretty much everything was under one program.

Was too wiped out after work (a common theme as is getting off late) to fiddle with things. And it fogged up lol...

I figure setting up two PC's or using one to control another with (preferably wired) network when I don't know what I'm doing so far will probably cause some headache. One reason I was thinking of opting for the USB repeater and mount side USB hub.

Will still try to figure this windows side out of it. Guess I could set the mini PC up on the TV (it's got windows 10 pro) and use the new laptop with a Linux install and vnc into it and have a separate system for something else. And once again I'm thinking too many directions at once.

#12 Psychlist1972

Psychlist1972

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 January 2022 - 02:38 AM

Haven't opened the mini PC yet. Shouldn't have bought it actually. It's a beelink u57. Been sitting for a year in it's box haven't even powered it on. I haven't even used windows for a long time and it's getting very difficult to do what I want to do without it. So, trying to figure out things with what I need for imaging.

Was too wiped out after work (a common theme as is getting off late) to fiddle with things. And it fogged up lol...

I figure setting up two PC's or using one to control another with (preferably wired) network when I don't know what I'm doing so far will probably cause some headache. One reason I was thinking of opting for the USB repeater and mount side USB hub.

Will still try to figure this windows side out of it. Guess I could set the mini PC up on the TV (it's got windows 10 pro) and use the new laptop with a Linux install and vnc into it and have a separate system for something else. And once again I'm thinking too many directions at once.

For obvious reasons, I have a pretty strong bias towards Windows, but if you're more comfortable with Linux, why force it? There are Linux apps for astro processing and for control on the scope. No need to complicate the hobby more :)

Pete

#13 Sacred Heart

Sacred Heart

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 21 January 2022 - 04:08 AM

Depending on how far you are running the USB 3 cable,  you may want to think about USB or ethernet.  Using a Cat 5 or 6 cable.    Just a thought,  Joe

https://www.tripplit...-grade~332-1254

#14 scottdevine

scottdevine

Vostok 1

• Loc: St Louis, MO

Posted 21 January 2022 - 09:06 AM

Honestly you should just stick with Ekos. I got into the “well everyone seems to be using….” fill in the software name. The software is a personal choice. They all do pretty much the same thing and have different learning curves. NINA and windows are not going to make things work that where not working with Ekos. Get on the Ekos specific forums and start asking questions. NOT CLOUDYNIGHTS! To many voices here. Getting program specific advice for your set up should come from the people with most experience.

I would go back to what you are comfortable with.
  • Psychlist1972 likes this

#15 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Voyager 1

• Moderators

Posted 21 January 2022 - 02:56 PM

While generally speaking imaging automation suites must, by definition perform the same tasks, there are tons of minor differences between in performing the common tasks that might be really important to you. Auto focus is a good example. There is no single method that's best practice across all suites. You may well find that one works vastly better for you than another. Take guiding as another example. With an ASIAIR, you don't get the full power of PHD which can be very helpful in a lot of ways. 

Last night I was using NINA for the first time and I discovered that it cannot integrate with my weather system. (I have to ask for advice.) It had some other features that were really snazzy, but I want the system to shut down if it get's cloudy and NINA apparently can't be made to do it but CCD AutoPilot and Voyager can. 

One thing for sure is that each of the choices mentioned WILL WORK but it may take a while before the OP becomes facile with them. I've been using (for example) the SKYX for years and about once a month I find something that I didn't even know was there that it really useful. 

Rgrds-Ross

#16 Psychlist1972

Psychlist1972

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 January 2022 - 05:50 PM

Last night I was using NINA for the first time and I discovered that it cannot integrate with my weather system. (I have to ask for advice.) It had some other features that were really snazzy, but I want the system to shut down if it get's cloudy and NINA apparently can't be made to do it but CCD AutoPilot and Voyager can. 

I'd like NINA to be able to do similar, but ideally based on the images. Either clouds, or when I hit the tree line etc.

BTW, if you're not using the beta of NINA, I can highly recommend it. It has a lot more in it vs the general release, and has been quite stable.

Pete

#17 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Voyager 1

• Moderators

Posted 21 January 2022 - 06:44 PM

What I would not recommend, unless the objective is simply learning, is to jump around between imaging suites. Pick one and learn it. There's nothing like a few hundred hours of using a system to learn what works and how to get around things that aren't quite the way you need them to be. 

Rgrds-Ross

• dswtan and Psychlist1972 like this

#18 wxcloud

wxcloud

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2022 - 01:52 PM

Keeping an eye on the sky tonight, forecast sketchy as usual. Already see thin cloud sheets and partly cloudy once it's dark. I'd be surprised if it's decent. One thing with trying EAA is it allows for some sucker holes but I'm not sure on that branch.

The asiair set up right now will likely need adjusted. I'm sure there's some backspacing issues to deal with. Also need to shuffle things a bit for better balance then cable manage a bit better. I know the asiair is looked at as if it's a Fisher Price astrophotography solution but I'm at the point I want to not fiddle (which at least during the initial rounds I will be).

I ran away from ekos because I was having major issues guiding. Guide stars would get lost despite being selected. RMS went off the chart. The multi star guiding update seems to be when things really went off the charts with problems. Not sure if the issue was me, the computer the mount the program or what.

Was basically told windows is the "problem free solution" since everyone uses it. Also was told in a different thread I was making mistakes and not correcting then or listening.

Really hard to debug stuff especially guiding when I don't get out much due to work weather or energy. Been working on trying to get a rig set up but long gaps between sessions.

I don't seem to understand Linux enough to do something like sign a certificate to install phd2 on the system when commands I'm reading don't work.

Guess I could simplify things by dumping guiding then end up with walking noise.

I'm hoping at least I can get my Fisher Price rig working to get a little data while I work out another.

#19 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Voyager 1

• Moderators

Posted 22 January 2022 - 02:10 PM

Windows is only trouble free in the sense that the OS doesn't particulary affect your results. The only things I tell people about Win10 are to try to boot the computer early in case there's an update lurking in the background and to use the Pro version so that you can use remote desktop. 

At the same time, I've never seen any imaging system software to work exactly as I want it to. However, with the more popular suites, it's just a matter of sticking to it until you figure out how to get around any issues, in my experience. I would not buy an ASIAir for a number of reasons. First of all, if you have an old laptop that can be pressed into service you're already 300 dollars to the "good". However, once you have the Air, stick to it and I bet you'll end up being happy until you want something that's not supported. 

Rgrds-Ross

#20 Psychlist1972

Psychlist1972

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 January 2022 - 02:20 PM

Keeping an eye on the sky tonight, forecast sketchy as usual. Already see thin cloud sheets and partly cloudy once it's dark. I'd be surprised if it's decent. One thing with trying EAA is it allows for some sucker holes but I'm not sure on that branch.

The asiair set up right now will likely need adjusted. I'm sure there's some backspacing issues to deal with. Also need to shuffle things a bit for better balance then cable manage a bit better. I know the asiair is looked at as if it's a Fisher Price astrophotography solution but I'm at the point I want to not fiddle (which at least during the initial rounds I will be).

I ran away from ekos because I was having major issues guiding. Guide stars would get lost despite being selected. RMS went off the chart. The multi star guiding update seems to be when things really went off the charts with problems. Not sure if the issue was me, the computer the mount the program or what.

Was basically told windows is the "problem free solution" since everyone uses it. Also was told in a different thread I was making mistakes and not correcting then or listening.

Really hard to debug stuff especially guiding when I don't get out much due to work weather or energy. Been working on trying to get a rig set up but long gaps between sessions.

I don't seem to understand Linux enough to do something like sign a certificate to install phd2 on the system when commands I'm reading don't work.

Guess I could simplify things by dumping guiding then end up with walking noise.

I'm hoping at least I can get my Fisher Price rig working to get a little data while I work out another.

ASIAir is not "Fisher Price". It's a good solution, especially to get you going quickly.

I went away from mine because I wanted flexibility to use non-ZWO components like focusers, I wanted to use it from my PC at home without bluestacks or similar, and also because I wanted to use NINA. But the ASIAir does really well.

There are no problem-free solutions, until you get the system stabilized for your equipment and your workflow. Flexibility always brings complexity. ZWO went the apple route and created a closed ecosystem, which greatly increases compatibility and reduces issues.

Linux: Sorry, thought you had experience there from the way you were talking. In general, Windows *will* be easier in some respects. But not as easy as the pre-configured ASIAir and an iPad or similar.

Weather: FWIW, I use an iOS app called Astropheric. So far, I've found it much more useful than the commercial weather apps on iOS and Windows (which almost never agree on forecast). Astropheric will give you hour-by-hour cloud cover, seeing, etc. for any given location. There's probably an Android version as well (not sure what you use).

Guiding and losing stars: some things to try include increasing the gain of the guide camera, and also increasing the exposure duration to around 2-4 seconds, if you aren't already.

In any case, there's a LOT you can do while inside to get to know your setup and system. Setup your scope in the comfort of your home. Get into the ASI Air app and pick a target and set up a sequence. Get used to how you can slew the mount from the app (yes, plate solves will all fail as will guiding, but you can otherwise get used to things). Have it take some darks to ensure the camera setup is working. Get all the annoying setup stuff done inside, including mount wiring and cable cleanup. Then bring the whole thing outside (I recommend 3 pieces: tripod/pier, mount, and then scope with everyone on it already wired up).

Pete

#21 Psychlist1972

Psychlist1972

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 January 2022 - 02:22 PM

Windows is only trouble free in the sense that the OS doesn't particulary affect your results. The only things I tell people about Win10 are to try to boot the computer early in case there's an update lurking in the background and to use the Pro version so that you can use remote desktop. 

At the same time, I've never seen any imaging system software to work exactly as I want it to. However, with the more popular suites, it's just a matter of sticking to it until you figure out how to get around any issues, in my experience. I would not buy an ASIAir for a number of reasons. First of all, if you have an old laptop that can be pressed into service you're already 300 dollars to the "good". However, once you have the Air, stick to it and I bet you'll end up being happy until you want something that's not supported. 

Rgrds-Ross

If you don't normally connect the Windows PC to the internet, you can postpone updates for as long as you want in Pro. You take security into your own hands with this, but if the PC is isolated, the risk is low.

I wrote this for musicians who need long stretches with a 100% unchanged system. Embedded PCs aren't much different.

https://gearspace.co...ndows-10-a.html

When you're ready for updates, go in and manually check for them.

Pete

#22 wxcloud

wxcloud

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2022 - 02:43 PM

I was thinking and I've also read a couple things elsewhere about the sep multi star guiding algorithm needing tweaked on the backend. There is a post or two I've seen on indilib forums about it.

The zwo mini guide scope I wandered if it was also part of the issues it's only 30mm. For a while I was binning the 290 2x2 and that did seem to help but I was asked why I was doing that so went back to non binned and things got worse again. Was thinking the guide scope is a little too short and dim to be effective which is why I thought maybe oag.

Linux? Yeah I can kind of use it but under the hood stuff not so much.

The asiair has had it's dry run inside. It's basically wired where it'd go out in a couple trips.

I didn't mention in my previous post I'm having issues getting the oag prism square along the edge of the sensor and not the corner. Also when I put this thing together, I didn't raise the scope up from the dovetail so I'd have room to mount the dew straps (humidity forecast to be high again). Was just going to wrap the slightly longer strap around the dovetail bar but being back heavy I'll likely need a small counterweight in the front for the declination balance. Sigh. Playing whack a mole with this rig.

Oh forgot my thought processes on guiding.

I wonder if some of the issues are caused by less then great seeing and transparency. Does 2/5 seeing need different aggressiveness than say 4/5 (which is rare) my seeing usually is 2-3/5 transparency is usually a little better.

Edited by wxcloud, 22 January 2022 - 02:46 PM.

#23 Psychlist1972

Psychlist1972

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 January 2022 - 03:24 PM

Not sure which OTA you're using at the moment. Whether or not the guide scope is too small depends on what it's attached to.

I used a 30mm guide scope with my Redcat 51 with the ASIAir Pro. Guide camera was the ASI120mm. It worked really well for that. It should be fine on the Z61, and good on the AT80. I probably wouldn't use it on your edgeHD, though :D

I use a 50mm aperture 200mm focal length guide scope with my WO FLT91. I use an ASI178mm for the guide camera. It works well.

I don't bin on any of them. They aren't exposing long enough so that saturation is a problem (that's what binning helps solve). You do need to make sure you remove that extra lens on the 290mm, however.

All this stuff I use in a Bortle 6/7 zone with typical crummy Mid-Atlantic US humid air.

OAGs come with their own set of potential issues to sort through. They're really good, though, when you have a long focal length scope and a separate guide scope would be impractical. It feels like you're changing lots of things, but generally making life more complicated for yourself. When I originally started this, only just this past summer, I was able to take the redcat + ASIAir + 533mc pro + CEM26 out for an evening and get everything working well enough to take some reasonable first photos. I set the gain on the main camera and that was about it. That's not any brag on my part, just acknowledgment that a simple ASIAir setup should be mostly plug & play, and work well.

So back to basics here: What problems are you trying to solve? What is your current (complete) setup?

Pete

#24 wxcloud

wxcloud

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2022 - 04:02 PM

The problem I'm trying to fix right now and the reason for trying a different set up is massive off the chart RMS. Like 10 thousand! Ekos did complain a lot about either Dec backlash or recently losing the guide star with multi star guiding. Also it decided parking the scope means upsidedown probably because I bumped something which caused things to slip and change something else. Even on a different mount from the usual EQ 6 R pro, it couldn't point the AVX right so opted to change. Also noted with the EQ 6 R pro and the asiair pro guiding had problems also. Kind of suspect the mount at this point...

The oag does make me a little nervous also, it's a lot of extra weight and probably even more sensitive to spacing.

I got the dovetail adapter (the overpriced one zwo made) on order for perhaps better placement. The handle I got for the AT80EDT seems strange and nothing I got will clamp to it, it's got 3 threaded holes for mounting but not sure of they are quarter twenty or m4. The asiair takes the quarter twenty thread.

Might just need to break out the Velcro. Can't scope mount it along with the guide scope at the same time until I get the bracket in.

Or Velcro...

Another concern is the backspacing. Almost tempted to run back to the redcat for that but as is, can't autofocus it unless I breakout the black cat mounting bracket and put it together. I'd actually be okay with this but probably puts me a bit cramped to get out together before the sun sets.

Right now the setup I'm thinking of taking out is listed in the first post

#25 Psychlist1972

Psychlist1972

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 22 January 2022 - 04:29 PM

The problem I'm trying to fix right now and the reason for trying a different set up is massive off the chart RMS. Like 10 thousand! Ekos did complain a lot about either Dec backlash or recently losing the guide star with multi star guiding. Also it decided parking the scope means upsidedown probably because I bumped something which caused things to slip and change something else. Even on a different mount from the usual EQ 6 R pro, it couldn't point the AVX right so opted to change. Also noted with the EQ 6 R pro and the asiair pro guiding had problems also. Kind of suspect the mount at this point...

The oag does make me a little nervous also, it's a lot of extra weight and probably even more sensitive to spacing.

I got the dovetail adapter (the overpriced one zwo made) on order for perhaps better placement. The handle I got for the AT80EDT seems strange and nothing I got will clamp to it, it's got 3 threaded holes for mounting but not sure of they are quarter twenty or m4. The asiair takes the quarter twenty thread.

Might just need to break out the Velcro. Can't scope mount it along with the guide scope at the same time until I get the bracket in.

Or Velcro...

Another concern is the backspacing. Almost tempted to run back to the redcat for that but as is, can't autofocus it unless I breakout the black cat mounting bracket and put it together. I'd actually be okay with this but probably puts me a bit cramped to get out together before the sun sets.

Right now the setup I'm thinking of taking out is listed in the first post

You didn't list your scope in the first post, which is why I asked. I take it it's the AT80EDT.

Backfocus (I assume that's what you mean by backspacing) can be a challenge. It's going to depend on what flattener or reducer you use with that. Do you have one?

https://www.astronom...-refractor.html

That says 55mm from the shoulder of the reducer to the image plane. Note that the 55mm is a recommendation, but it's possible to be off by a mm or 2.

The ASI1600 has 6.5mm from the front plate to the sensor. Add the thickness of all the pieces in between the shoulder of the reducer and the front plate of the camera, plus an additional 1/3 of your filter thickness. Be sure to include any adapters you have in there, like the one which threads on to the filter wheel if it's not screwed directly to the camera face.

But as long as you can achieve focus on the stars in the middle of the frame, in a short exposure, I'd leave backfocus tweaks until later. Sometimes tilt can look like a backfocus spacing issue.

Mounting the ASIAir:

A quick look around shows that there's very little to no usable information out there on the AT80EDT's mounting rings. So I have no idea what thread they are. You'll just need to get both and try it out. I keep a set of thread gauges here for stuff like this. I've never seen a handle on it, so I don't know what you actually have. Is it this?
https://www.astronom...t-and-at92.html

If so, those three holes on top are M6 on each side and 1/4-20 in the middle, per this diagram:

125mm_handle.jpg

Mounts/RMS: 

If you're having problem with multiple mounts, it seems logical that the mount isn't likely to be the issue. When setting the park position, you usually need to set that up in advance, before you actually park the scope. On my CEM40, each time I power it up, I set the zero / home position by unlocking the gears and hand-aligning the Dec axis so it is straight, and the RA axis so the counterweight shaft points straight down. This is after leveling the mount.

Pete

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics