•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mounted filter thicknesses

Filters 3d printing Accessories
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CliveFX

CliveFX

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 January 2022 - 02:44 PM

filter tray.PNG Hello! I am designing a custom eyepiece tray. I am trying to future-proof it a bit so I can hold filters in it as well. I am putting slots in it that are under the diameter of the filters, so you can put them in like you would put a coin in a slot. Here is the catch: Since this is for future proofing, I don't actually have any filters to measure! 

I think that the Baader 2" filters are 6mm thick, but I can't seem to find any dimensions for filter cells on any vendors site. 

I am most interested in the thickness of the Baader 2" and 1.25" variable polarizer, as well as the thickness of various other mounted filters. Might any of you have a filter and a caliper nearby? 

Also: Are there other things you wish you could hold in an eyepiece tray? I am mostly planning for 2" and 1.25" eyepieces, 2" and 1.25" filters, 2" to 1.25" adapters, a few barlows. 

Thanks so much! 

Edited by CliveFX, 21 January 2022 - 02:45 PM.

#2 Star Shooter

Star Shooter

Vostok 1

Posted 22 January 2022 - 09:51 PM

I have three Celestron filters that I believe are made by Baader. At least the filter ring looks like the photos of the Baader Products. The ring thicknesses (average of three measurements around the circumference) are as follows:

1.25" UHC thickness=.306"

2" UHC thickness=.401"

2" O III thickness=.318"

• CliveFX likes this

#3 CliveFX

CliveFX

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2022 - 02:29 AM

Thanks so much! I appreciate the measurements

#4 Star Shooter

Star Shooter

Vostok 1

Posted 29 January 2022 - 01:43 PM

From the Baader website, 2" filters specs.

Standard thickness is 8mm,

Low Profile thickness is 6mm

Double Polarizer thickness is 15mm

Note: may not include the length of the filter threads.

#5 Starman59

Starman59

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 January 2022 - 03:03 PM

Personally, I wouldn't leave bare filters out in the open to collect floating particles between use. And the more you handle them the greater the odds they will get smudged.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Filters, 3d printing, Accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics