•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Science Communication - Showing Off the Scientific Process in Short Documentaries Which is So Rarely Seen

Art Video Astronomy Visual
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ImagineThisWorld

ImagineThisWorld

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2022 - 02:52 PM

Hey, made a short doc with an Astronomer at the University of Toronto who just recently found 10 super-agb star candidates... when there was only 1 prior. This has huge implications on how many supernova we can expect to see in the Universe and the elemental composition of the Universe. Check it out here: 

https://youtu.be/3VIbKTRUblQ

This project got us thinking about the implications of showing the scientific process in a new light. This helps with the new expectations researchers tell us all the time which is science communication. The scientific process never gets shown or properly explained. Discoveries in Astronomy is never telescope then boom discovery, there's so much more. So I hope the short doc somewhat does it justice and hope to get some feedback!

• BFaucett and Migwan like this

#2 CltFlyboy

CltFlyboy

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 22 January 2022 - 02:57 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights, we're glad that you are here!

That's pretty cool, thanks for sharing. This is awesome for outreach, the subject is laid out in a way that most people can understand (and it's an interesting subject).

• ImagineThisWorld likes this

#3 ImagineThisWorld

ImagineThisWorld

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2022 - 03:07 PM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights, we're glad that you are here!

That's pretty cool, thanks for sharing. This is awesome for outreach, the subject is laid out in a way that most people can understand (and it's an interesting subject).

Hey thanks! So glad I found this forum, there's so much good discussions here. Really glad the scientific process got through, that was the main goal of this project. We really wanted to focus on the science and work that goes behind these discoveries.

• CltFlyboy likes this

#4 CltFlyboy

CltFlyboy

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 22 January 2022 - 03:18 PM

I think that videos like this are a critical part of keeping our hobby of amateur astronomy healthy. If we can get even just one more person interested in looking at the skies then we've done justice. Keep up the great work!

#5 ImagineThisWorld

ImagineThisWorld

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2022 - 03:20 PM

I think that videos like this are a critical part of keeping our hobby of amateur astronomy healthy. If we can get even just one more person interested in looking at the skies then we've done justice. Keep up the great work!

Thanks! There are more on the way!

#6 Migwan

Migwan

Gemini

• Loc: Meeechigan

Posted 22 January 2022 - 05:11 PM

Revealing the process and seemed to make it easier to understand the principles.   That was a little surprising.  Well done and cool!

Feedback;  Your far from alone in this, but the music can be a problem.   As many as 13.8% of the adult population have diagnosed speech frequency hearing loss in one or both ears.   I fall in the former and overcame the music by listening with a single headphone on the good ear.   For the 5.5% with both ears involved, the music can be very difficult to overcome, if at all.   Modern movies are even worse, but those words aren't quite as important to the theme. 

smile.gif    Thank you for letting me express myself. 

Edited by Migwan, 22 January 2022 - 05:11 PM.

• ImagineThisWorld likes this

#7 ImagineThisWorld

ImagineThisWorld

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2022 - 11:50 AM

Revealing the process and seemed to make it easier to understand the principles.   That was a little surprising.  Well done and cool!

Feedback;  Your far from alone in this, but the music can be a problem.   As many as 13.8% of the adult population have diagnosed speech frequency hearing loss in one or both ears.   I fall in the former and overcame the music by listening with a single headphone on the good ear.   For the 5.5% with both ears involved, the music can be very difficult to overcome, if at all.   Modern movies are even worse, but those words aren't quite as important to the theme. 

smile.gif    Thank you for letting me express myself. 

Thanks for the feedback, will definitely keep that in mind for the edits next time!

• Migwan likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Art, Video Astronomy, Visual

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics