•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Televue 76 (or 85) for starter scope!?

Beginner Equipment
  • Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#51 whizbang

whizbang

Apollo

• Loc: NE of Seattle, WA

Posted 28 January 2022 - 09:11 PM

A small refractor can't be beat for grab-n-go and potability and no cool down.  But, here's the most important thing:  the views are similar to your bino views.  Somewhat better, and, more stable on a decent tripod.  But about the same.

A eight inch DOB is a game changer.

I would argue that going from a small bino to a small refractor is almost no change --- why bother???  And it is most certainly not the "wow" experience of a "first" telescope.  Consider too, the cost.  TeleVue is really proud of their refractors.  An 8 inch DOB is chump change in comparison. 

Get the DOB.  If you absolutely HATE it, get the small refractor.

#52 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Cosmos

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 03 February 2022 - 11:23 AM

I would recommend the refractor to start with and consider a larger scope later to compliment. Totally agree that the grab and go with minimal cool down matches your description of wants.

Personally, I would highly suggest at least an ED refractor for birding. The TV85 is a great choice of course.

On the lower cost options I like the Astrotech scopes. There's a $429 version that would be pretty decent, but maybe a little false color. Great value though. And a $899 version that shouldn't have much color at all...and similar to the TV85.

If you don't mind the cost, the TV85 is a lifetime scope.
  • alnitak22 likes this

#53 unleaded55

unleaded55

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 04 February 2022 - 09:05 AM

Welcome to Cloudy Nights! Telescope.gif welcome.gif

I have owned the TV-85, and then bought the TV-102 as a pair to observe different things. The TV-85 was my first WoW moment when I spotted Jupiter and viewed the rings and of course, the four moons. This was 25 years ago, so yes, one is definitely grab-and-go, but both are keepers.  I will also say in time you will want to see those faint fuzzy blobs and aperture is the cure. I had a 14.4 in StarMaster and it was tremendous at showing the faint ones. All of those are lifetime scopes. 

Now, I still use the TV-85 when I really want to see, but the winter's chill (darn cold) let's me look for only ten minutes.

#54 Echolight

Echolight

Skylab

• Loc: Texas

Posted 04 February 2022 - 10:09 AM

I have owned the TV-85, and then bought the TV-102 as a pair to observe different things. The TV-85 was my first WoW moment when I spotted Jupiter and viewed the rings and of course, the four moons. This was 25 years ago, so yes, one is definitely grab-and-go, but both are keepers.  I will also say in time you will want to see those faint fuzzy blobs and aperture is the cure. I had a 14.4 in StarMaster and it was tremendous at showing the faint ones. All of those are lifetime scopes. 

Now, I still use the TV-85 when I really want to see, but the winter's chill (darn cold) let's me look for only ten minutes.

Jupiter has rings!!!? I gotta get one of those scopes that sees rings on Jupiter!

#55 Look at the sky 101

Look at the sky 101

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Citizen of the earth .

Posted 04 February 2022 - 10:37 AM

I am sure you meant Saturn, indeed Jupiter has rings but impossible to see from the earth with amateur telescopes. 

#56 unleaded55

unleaded55

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 February 2022 - 09:26 AM

Jupiter has rings!!!? I gotta get one of those scopes that sees rings on Jupiter!

My bad... no rings just belts.. Sorry I am without coffee in the morning and it did not sound right, but hey, I am an old fart too.

• Echolight likes this

#57 unleaded55

unleaded55

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 February 2022 - 09:28 AM

I am sure you meant Saturn, indeed Jupiter has rings but impossible to see from the earth with amateur telescopes. 

Yes, Jupiter has belts and Saturn has prominent sets of rings. Again, my mind was not working due to being coffee starved.

Edited by unleaded55, 05 February 2022 - 09:28 AM.

• Look at the sky 101 likes this

#58 Drothgeb

Drothgeb

Mariner 2

Posted 05 February 2022 - 10:53 AM

I think the TV-85 would make a great first scope, maybe the 76 if you are trying to save a few bucks. TeleVue holds it’s value better than some brands, so both are good lifetime scopes. I still have my TeleVue Oracle that I bought more than 30 years ago, worth quite a bit more than I paid for it too.

Either scope would make a good compliment to a larger scope later on. Most of the time my Oracle sits on top of my 142mm as a finder or a guide scope. But, if I’m on the go, it’s my goto scope. It’s traveled with me to a number of eclipses.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, Equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics