•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Takahashi unboxing and first light

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Jethro7

Jethro7

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 23 January 2022 - 01:50 AM

Hello Cners,
The day before Christmas Eve, I had just sat down for lunch at work, I turned on my cell phone to Google something, Google has certainly learned my search patterns quite well (that in itself is a little scary) I received a pop up Ad, Takahashi TSA 120 at HighPoint Scientific,  IN STOCK!!. I phoned them up and boy that was a long ten minutes. Dave, at High Point said  "yes we indeed have one In stock" ( This was an Omen)  I said " Nope not anymore you dont"  later that evening I got to thinking hmm, I want a new mount for the Takahashi and the mount is just as important as the scope, perhaps more so and there was only one mount that I could think of. I googled up Tom Peters, at DiscMount and placed an order for a DM6. Over the last several years I have become quite fond of the austere basic simplicity of a manual Alt AZ mount without electronics. Then on to Berlebach of Germany, and ordered a double clamped Uni Astro tripod for the DM6. Then to WoodLand Hills for a set of PrimaLuceLab parallax rings, D style dove tail bar and a Vixen dovetail bar. Everything that I ordered was in stock, what luck, it felt like old times.  I still dont understand how I can get a parcel delivered to me from Germany, twice as fast as parcel shipped within the U.S. or even in my home state but this is what happend. I had everything delivered by the tenth of January. The Takahashi, arrived in a very large box. With the excitement only a child knows on Christmas Day. I opened the box and there was a second box and I opened it revealing a third box, thinking I hope there is a scope in this one and there was. I waited for clear skies, we all know how that goes. Finally on the 17th I had clear skies at last but a full Moon, I enjoyed what I could that night. I finally had clear cold skies on this night the 22nd without a Moon to wash everything out. What a scope. I'm not going into a full review of the Takahashi TSA 120, if you own one, you already know, if you dont, let me just say this, the views through the Takahashi TSA 120 are so good it is kind of weird. It's one of those things that you know immediately that you are on to something good. As far as the mount I cannot find fault with the DiscMount DM6 this is about as good as a Alt Az mount gets. Beautiful machined through out and operates very smooth and works as advertised. I was a little skeptical about this mount staying in position when you change out eyepieces even though the clutches are not at hand. If you set the DM6 mount up just like Tom Peters, instructs you to, it actually works. The first time that I set everything up, I realized that for the life of me why I did not order the tripod with the leg spreaders and leg locks. This was a "DUH"!!! Moment for me because I already knew how much trouble it is to set up a tripod with just the chain stoppers can be in the dark. I quickly remedied this. Trust me you want the leg spreaders.The Takahashi TSA 120 is one beautiful scope mounted on the DM6 is a pleasure to use. I am pretty much on my own with this Astro Hobby and I have many to thank for my guidance. Most of  the advice has come from all the CloudyNights Forum members and you all have cost me alot of money but have never steered me in the wrong direction. lol.gif

Here's how I felt at the box opening 

https://youtube.com/...k?feature=share

HAPPY SKIES TO EVERYONE AND KEEP LOOKING UP 

20220116 222318

20220116 222340

20220116 222401

20220109 095602

20220117 164950

20220117 164902

20220117 164836

20220117 164816

Edited by Jethro7, 24 January 2022 - 12:48 AM.

• Scott in NC, BRCoz, GOLGO13 and 38 others like this

#2 Stellar1

Stellar1

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Juuuust outside Toronto

Posted 23 January 2022 - 03:18 AM

Congratulations! what a fantastic setup you have there! 

• Jethro7 likes this

#3 crazyqban

crazyqban

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Miami, Florida

Posted 23 January 2022 - 04:08 AM

TSA 120s are amazing scopes. I had one for a brief moment but sold it to get an FS-128 which I then sold to get an FS-152. Love me them Taks. On, and of course, can't go wrong with a DM6. Beautiful setup. Enjoy your new baby my friend.

• doctordub, 25585 and Jethro7 like this

#4 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 January 2022 - 07:22 AM

You have a wonderful, and all-important "easy to set up and use" system with the Tak TSA 120 delivering ultra-sharp lunar/planetary images.

Also, don’t be afraid to push the TSA 120 on faint deep sky objects, it will surprise you.

Good luck.

Bob

• 25585, Jethro7 and JeremySh like this

#5 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Cosmos

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 23 January 2022 - 08:58 AM

Welcome to the club. Looks great.
  • Jethro7 likes this

#6 Look at the sky 101

Look at the sky 101

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Citizen of the earth .

Posted 23 January 2022 - 09:00 AM

Very nice scope,  enjoy. 

• Jethro7 likes this

#7 Jethro7

Jethro7

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 23 January 2022 - 10:10 AM

You have a wonderful, and all-important "easy to set up and use" system with the Tak TSA 120 delivering ultra-sharp lunar/planetary images.

Also, don’t be afraid to push the TSA 120 on faint deep sky objects, it will surprise you.

Good luck.

Bob

Good morning Bob.

In the excitement of it all, I tried to view just about everything last night that I could with the Tak, coming inside to warm up every so often, it was down into the mid 20's last night. (I know that's not really cold for many of you but that's cold for my thin Florida, blood) Viewing with both, conventional glass and with the night vision device. I will be more disciplined on the next session, or not lol.gif The Tak works quite well with the night vision device better than I ever would have thought, especially when viewing starry objects. Night Vision Astronomy is a horse of a different color and has it's own needs but the Tak did not disapoint here. With conventional glass the views are amazing and noticeably tighter focused stars set upon on a beautiful contrasted field that's so very pleasing to the eye. The one concern I had was with the Taks focuser I have read through many Threads here on the Forum that the stock focuser are some what less than would be desired.  This concern was for not. The stock focuser works just fine for my needs.

TSA 120s are amazing scopes. I had one for a brief moment but sold it to get an FS-128 which I then sold to get an FS-152. Love me them Taks. On, and of course, can't go wrong with a DM6. Beautiful setup. Enjoy your new baby my friend.

Good morning Sergio,

I'm with you on that. For me this is the rest of my life scope upgrade and I am not getting younger, I have to think ahead on these things and the TSA 120 seemed to be the perfect compromise between aperture and portability. The DM6 is rock steady well thought out without too much bulk plus it looks like a piece of modern art. When I am doing  viewing sessions, I sometimes let my mind drift and do a bit of thinking about this and that and during last nights session I really could not find anything that needs to be moded on the DM6 except a cork washer between the mount extention and the tripod head. I will get that remedied tomarrow. 

Thank you Sergio, KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Congratulations! what a fantastic setup you have there! 

Good morning Stellar1,

Thank you and KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

• PKDfan and JeremySh like this

#8 25585

James Webb Space Telescope

• Loc: In a valley, in the SW UK. 51°N

Posted 23 January 2022 - 10:32 AM

Seems there's a little boom in TSA-120 sales going on.

• JimP, Jethro7 and JeremySh like this

#9 Jethro7

Jethro7

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 23 January 2022 - 12:20 PM

Hello 25585,
And that is a very good thing.

https://youtu.be/stq4-99-J74

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Edited by Jethro7, 23 January 2022 - 12:29 PM.

• 25585 likes this

#10 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 January 2022 - 01:16 PM

Good morning Bob.

The Tak works quite well with the night vision device better than I ever would have thought, especially when viewing starry objects.

Yes the combination of NV and the TSA 120 really delivers the goods. Experiment with all FLs from as fast as you can manage to using Barlows on smaller objects.

The versatile TSA 120 and my Image Intensifier on my UA Marcrostar alt/az mount is my favorite deep sky do-it-all, single-scope, quick and easy set up as well. Panning around the sky is effortless fun.

Below is a one-night session outside Philadelphia in a Bortle 8-9 sky. So you can probably expect more. 

Tak 120 refractor on the Macrostar
Transparency: clear, calm and nice for March
Seeing: average on stars

DEEP SKY: visual with the Tak 120 and the NVD Micro

1. M42: With the Barlow: Detailed with all the goodies: The wall, 3-D clouds, thumb, bridge overlay sail fork closed loop, very mottled core with dark nebula wide nebula extensions closed loop, etc.
2. M43: With the Barlow: Easy glow and indent and mottling
3. 1977: Obvious wide nebula around stars
4. Horsehead Nebula: The Horsehead’s snout outline was just seen with scope motion. This and the Flame in the same field
5. 2044: Flame nebula: Nice! Trunk & branches, like a dim photo!
6. Rosetta: GREAT VIEW! Just fits in the field. The cloud detail around the edges was impressive!
7. Sh2-282: The faint nebula below the Rosetta
8. 2282: The faint nebula below Sh-2-282 near the Rosetta
9. Christmas Tree Cluster & Nebula: faint nebula fills the “tree” Nice view!
10. IC 443 The Jellyfish Nebula: Easy
11. 2174 Monkey Head: NICE VIEW: bright, good size & ragged edge detail
12. IC 2162 Cat’s Paw: 3 round nebulas in a row that diminish in brightness.
13. Lower’s Nebula: Large, and easy
14. Gum Nebula: The large flowing river nebula in the south.
15. Ced 90: bright spot at the end of the Gum – large and bright
16. IC 405: Flaming Star Nebula large, easy with details. Great at zenith
17. IC 410: Near the Flaming Star: large with elbow. Great at zenith
18. IC 417: Nice easy glow around star
19. 1931: Small with no stars but a nice bright nebula
20. Sh-2 235 nice patch of nebula near 1931
21. M35 & 2158: M-35 filled the field with bright stars.
22. 2158: Was resolved
23. M36: Bright group of stars
24. M37: Good size rich cluster
25. M38 & 1907: Good size rich cluster with star chains
26. 1907: Small cluster resolved near M38

The Galaxies: all were observed with the Barlow

27. M81: Bright with very obvious hazy disk-like arms
28. M82: Bright easy mottling in this large cigar-shaped galaxy
29. 3077: Easily spotted fuzzy ball:  This and M81 & M82 were seen in the same field
30. 2976: Faintish but easily recovered now I know where to look (from 3077 down a stream of stars to he left of a             bright star)
31. M108:
Galaxy in the dipper: Faint small slash with a bright star-like center
32. M109: Easy somewhat dim fuzz ball
33. M65: M66 & 3628: were all seen in the same field. M66 was possibly showing some detail in the arms. The trio was low and in the Philadelphia light polluted hazy soup
34. M51: Easy 2 interacting galaxies. Both cores were easy and somewhat bright. There was definite haze around both with possible arm brightening with scope motion. But M51 was low and in the light polluted hazy soup in the Philadelphia/Norristown light dome

Bob

• peleuba, doctordub, rerun and 3 others like this

#11 rerun

rerun

Apollo

• Loc: Germany, Europe

Posted 23 January 2022 - 02:30 PM

Congratulations to your new TSA120 . Very interesting unboxing report . It sounds like someone is very happy with his new Tak . Enjoy your new scope. 

• Jethro7 likes this

#12 jesse 3

jesse 3

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 23 January 2022 - 03:11 PM

Yes the combination of NV and the TSA 120 really delivers the goods.
Bob

It is amazing you can see all these faint objects. Which NVD model did you use? Is it easy to use in terms of eye relief and eyepiece selections? Thanks.

Edited by jesse 3, 23 January 2022 - 06:08 PM.

#13 Jethro7

Jethro7

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 23 January 2022 - 06:25 PM

Hello Cners

I have been given a second clear night. Thank you for all of your responses, they are appreciated more than you know.

HAPPY SKIES TO EVERYONE AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

A Post Card from Dreamland

20220123 171745

• rerun, therealdmt, 25585 and 2 others like this

#14 GOLGO13

GOLGO13

Cosmos

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 23 January 2022 - 06:31 PM

Are you sure the cloud gods are awake? Especially with such a huge purchase. The only clear sky I've had the temps were near zero in the past 2-3 months. 

• Jethro7 likes this

#15 payner

payner

Gemini

• Loc: Bluegrass & SW Appalachian Regions, Kentucky

Posted 23 January 2022 - 06:31 PM

Have a great evening with that excellent optic. 

• Jethro7 likes this

#16 JimP

JimP

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: USA

Posted 23 January 2022 - 07:03 PM

You got that right! It is so easy to fall in love!!

My TSA 120 is supposed to arrive by 9:00 PM tomorrow which, of course, means Tuesday. Very exciting.

JimP

• rerun, 25585, Jethro7 and 1 other like this

#17 Jethro7

Jethro7

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 23 January 2022 - 07:12 PM

Yes the combination of NV and the TSA 120 really delivers the goods. Experiment with all FLs from as fast as you can manage to using Barlows on smaller objects.

The versatile TSA 120 and my Image Intensifier on my UA Marcrostar alt/az mount is my favorite deep sky do-it-all, single-scope, quick and easy set up as well. Panning around the sky is effortless fun.

Below is a one-night session outside Philadelphia in a Bortle 8-9 sky. So you can probably expect more. 

Bob

Hello Bob,

Thank you for the list. Last night I did a Nebulae tour and was able to clearly view the Packman ( HGC281), Heart and Soul,  California ( NGC 1499 ) Rosette (Caldwell 49) Of course the Great Orion Nebulae (M42) as well as the Horse Head ( Barnard 33) and Flame Nebula (NGC 2024) Being able to see the brighter part of Barnards Loop says alot about the performance capabilities of the Takahashi TSA 120 for Night Vision Astronomy.

HAPPY SKIES TO YOU AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Edited by Jethro7, 23 January 2022 - 07:13 PM.

#18 Jethro7

Jethro7

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 23 January 2022 - 07:15 PM

You got that right! It is so easy to fall in love!!

My TSA 120 is supposed to arrive by 9:00 PM tomorrow which, of course, means Tuesday. Very exciting.

JimP

Hello Jim,

That's awesome. 

• JimP and 25585 like this

#19 Jethro7

Jethro7

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 23 January 2022 - 10:16 PM

Hello Cners,

Here is a couple of images taken during tonight's viewing session taken with my phone, Tak TSA 120 and a PVS 14 night vision device. 

The Rosette Nebula

20220123 201012

The Horse Head and Flame Nebulae

20220123 201053

Edited by Jethro7, 23 January 2022 - 10:25 PM.

• doctordub, turtle86, payner and 5 others like this

#20 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

• Loc: L2

Posted 23 January 2022 - 10:44 PM

Hello Cners,

Here is a couple of images taken during tonight's viewing session taken with my phone, Tak TSA 120 and a PVS 14 night vision device. 

The Rosette Nebula

The Horse Head and Flame Nebulae

Did you have to pay extra to get clear skies with your new scope?  lol.gif

What an awesome setup you have put together. I have a DM-6 myself and it's one of best astro purchases ever.  It just works.

Very nice captures of the Rosette and Horsehead!

• 25585 and N8Allen like this

#21 Jethro7

Jethro7

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 23 January 2022 - 11:20 PM

Did you have to pay extra to get clear skies with your new scope?  lol.gif

What an awesome setup you have put together. I have a DM-6 myself and it's one of best astro purchases ever.  It just works.

Very nice captures of the Rosette and Horsehead!

Hello Rob,

I did not have to pay up front,I think the bill is coming. lol.gif  I agree with you on the DM6, the only mods that I need to do to the DM6, is to place a cork pad between the tripod head and the extention, the other is to put a S shaped bend in the handle ( I almost want to call the handle a tiller) so that the handle clears the tripod legs if I am viewing towards the Zenith, I like the handle  longer, I know you can move the handle further up on the bottom of the mounting saddle to make it shorter.  Neither of these are really an issue, or design oversights and both are easy and cheap fixes. The Tak and the DM6 are the best of their breeds and together they are a pleasure to use.

Thank you on the images. Night vision devices are the darndest thing going for the Backyard Astronomer, especially if you live under Bortle 7 or 8 skies.

Edited by Jethro7, 23 January 2022 - 11:50 PM.

• 25585, R.Kelley and rksturm like this

#22 bobhen

bobhen

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 January 2022 - 06:49 AM

I use a NVD Micro, which I think has been discontinued or changed from my model. However, a Mod 3 intensifier or the PVS -14 intensifier will do the same.

There are two ways to observe with an intensifier: prime focus without eyepieces in the optical train or afocal with eyepieces in the optical train.

I observe in prime focus so there are no eyepieces before the image intensifier. You just use the intensifier as an eyepiece and look through it like you would an eyepiece. I sometimes use a reducer or a Barlow before the intensifier and I always use filters.

Below is an image of my TSA 120 with the NVD Micro in the diagonal.

Bob

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2984.jpg

• peleuba, 25585 and Jethro7 like this

#23 turtle86

turtle86

Mr. Coffee

• Loc: L2

Posted 24 January 2022 - 10:16 AM

Hello Rob,

I did not have to pay up front,I think the bill is coming. lol.gif  I agree with you on the DM6, the only mods that I need to do to the DM6, is to place a cork pad between the tripod head and the extention, the other is to put a S shaped bend in the handle ( I almost want to call the handle a tiller) so that the handle clears the tripod legs if I am viewing towards the Zenith, I like the handle  longer, I know you can move the handle further up on the bottom of the mounting saddle to make it shorter.  Neither of these are really an issue, or design oversights and both are easy and cheap fixes. The Tak and the DM6 are the best of their breeds and together they are a pleasure to use.

Thank you on the images. Night vision devices are the darndest thing going for the Backyard Astronomer, especially if you live under Bortle 7 or 8 skies.

I find it easier not to use a handle at all with my DM-6.  I just move the scope by hand, usually by nudging the diagonal.

• Jethro7 likes this

#24 rksturm

rksturm

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago area

Posted 05 February 2022 - 04:07 PM

Jethro7:

I'm curious if you went ahead and put bends in your DM-6 handle for tripod clearance (Post #21 above) and if so, how it worked out. The Discmount handle appears to be a solid aluminum shaft about 5/8" in diameter.

I am using the same handle for my Tele Vue 85 on a DM-4 with the 8" extension. The handle extends out much farther than the TV-85 diagonal, but I like the additional leverage it allows (I also think of it as a "tiller").  Also, the handle provides a very solid, one-piece feel.

The only downside is that the handle end contacts a tripod leg starting at 65 degrees above horizontal.  I was thinking of trying to put a bit of sideways bend at the end of the handle for clearance.

P1090388 R3.JPG

Your TSA-120 set-up looks great.  Let's see: the TSA-120 would provide twice the aperture area of the TV-85 ...... maybe one day! 

Thank you, Bob S.

• 25585 likes this

#25 Jethro7

Jethro7

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 05 February 2022 - 06:42 PM

Jethro7:

I'm curious if you went ahead and put bends in your DM-6 handle for tripod clearance (Post #21 above) and if so, how it worked out. The Discmount handle appears to be a solid aluminum shaft about 5/8" in diameter.

I am using the same handle for my Tele Vue 85 on a DM-4 with the 8" extension. The handle extends out much farther than the TV-85 diagonal, but I like the additional leverage it allows (I also think of it as a "tiller").  Also, the handle provides a very solid, one-piece feel.

The only downside is that the handle end contacts a tripod leg starting at 65 degrees above horizontal.  I was thinking of trying to put a bit of sideways bend at the end of the handle for clearance.

Your TSA-120 set-up looks great.  Let's see: the TSA-120 would provide twice the aperture area of the TV-85 ...... maybe one day! 

Thank you, Bob S.

Hello Bob,

No, instead of bending it I just moved the handle forward on the saddle, Tom Peters, conveniently drilled and tapped another set of screw holes forward, I guess that's what they are there for.  I do like the handle longer but I can deal with it being  couple of Inches shorter. This is more of a none important pet peeve than a real problem. Bending the handle is not hard to do but I would recommend that you take it to a machine shop and bend it with a forming jig. Not by putting it into a vice and bending it by hand. I may get to it at some point.

The TV85 is a awesome scope but I highly recommend the Tak. It is one of those things in hindsight that I wished that I had done several years ago. Then again several years ago I did not understand what I wanted . I am all set up and everthing is cooling down. I have clear skies and a small Moon.   YAY!!!

P.S. I like your Avatar,  That was a cool TV show  TV Land needs to bring it back."My Favorite Martian" staring Ray Walston and Bill Bixby.

Edited by Jethro7, 05 February 2022 - 07:11 PM.

• N8Allen likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics