•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ETX DSLR rear port support

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Thrifty1

Thrifty1

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2022 - 08:09 AM

For those wanting to use a heavy camera on the rear port of their ETX telescope you need to be very careful of 2 things. 

1 - weight of camera can break the rear port plastic housing. 

2 - weight of camera makes the telescope very unbalanced and can ruin your drive gears. I’ve had to replace gears with broken teeth because of this. 

It is better to use the eyepiece port if simply connecting a DSLR. This is a stronger connection and will provide more range in movement / avoid hitting the telescope base. However, I wanted to use my Meade .63 focal reducer so I needed to use the rear port. To help support the DSLR, I made a support arm connected to the bottom of the ETX using the two 1/4” - 20 threads. I had a piece of aluminum flat stock so I used that. I also connected a piece of t-track to make an easy counterweight bar for the front. 

This gives me nice balance and confidence I won’t break the rear port connection. I will need to be careful of what objects I am slewing to as it adds limitations on tube movement. I can try to modify this a bit by bending the support arm for the camera to give a little more clearance if needed. Probably need to switch to a piece of steel flat stock ad I’m not sure the aluminum will bend much. 

Attached Thumbnails

• D1C27B80-AE88-4E4E-B917-C5057151A3E3.jpeg

Edited by Thrifty1, 23 January 2022 - 08:15 AM.

• osbourne one-nil, *skyguy*, sunrag and 1 other like this

#2 Thrifty1

Thrifty1

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2022 - 08:32 AM

I just watched a video on bending this aluminum flat stock and it is possible after heating with a torch. I will have to try a nice bent support arm that hugs the back of the ETX to increase clearance. 

#3 michael8554

michael8554

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 24 January 2022 - 07:37 AM

Well done for appreciating the dangers the DSLR posed, and overcoming them.

What is this item ?

24JanObject.JPG

#4 Thrifty1

Thrifty1

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2022 - 10:23 PM

Well done for appreciating the dangers the DSLR posed, and overcoming them.

What is this item ?

attachicon.gif24JanObject.JPG

That is a Meade Series 5000 Plossl 26mm Wide Angle Eyepiece

#5 michael8554

michael8554

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 25 January 2022 - 07:13 PM

Ah of course, in the top port.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics