•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GPS Question in NINA

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stumyatt76

Stumyatt76

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Gloucester UK

Posted 24 January 2022 - 02:45 AM

Hello 

i have an Eagle 4 with integrated GPS receiver and am wondering if anyone has managed to get this linked through to record GPS in NINA. 

I contacted PRIMALUCE lab who manufacture the Eagle and they told me 

The GPS is not a serial (COM) device but the EAGLE has an integrated web server that developers can use to import GPS data to their softwares. You can refer to page 80 of the user manual: https://www.primaluc...e-4-manual.html.

the manual refers to some get code “http://localhost:1380/getgps

Replies values (result,latitude,longitude,altitude,date,time,numsat)” 

i think this is similar to what has already been used on the switches in NINA which allows you to control the USB ports etc. 

many thanks in advance

stu

#2 dghent

dghent

Apollo

• Vendors
  • Loc: Maryland, US

Posted 24 January 2022 - 03:06 AM

NINA supports NMEA serial GPS receivers. The Eagle's unique and non-standard API interface to its own receiver is not supported.

#3 Stumyatt76

Stumyatt76

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2022 - 04:00 AM

Many thanks that’s a shame.

Will just have to copy and paste it over no biggie

Many thanks

Stu

#4 dghent

dghent

Apollo

• Vendors

Posted 24 January 2022 - 08:59 AM

I have a few ideas on how to accommodate this Eagle feature but it might be a NINA 2.1 item.

#5 Stumyatt76

Stumyatt76

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2022 - 02:25 PM

I have a few ideas on how to accommodate this Eagle feature but it might be a NINA 2.1 item.

Any ideas when NINA 2.0 will be out of BETA and into release?

also that’s great if it gets included into 2.1 thanks 

#6 dghent

dghent

Apollo

• Vendors

Posted 24 January 2022 - 03:37 PM

It'll be ready when it's ready. If you want to hold me to a date, I can only say "this year, probably" ;)

Also it would be highly preferable if PLL didn't come up with silly one-off interfaces for common data that spawn demands such as this. The NMEA data interface has been a staple standard of computer-connected GPS devices since the 80s and it wouldn't have killed them to include a software serial port multiplier for the GPS receiver so that their stack and apps running on the system can access it. It's read-only data and it's very much possible to virtualize serial ports this way.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics