•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CPWI 2.4 No Worky

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 MarMax

MarMax

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter
  • Loc: SoCal

Posted 24 January 2022 - 03:04 AM

Well I made the mistake of updating my CPWI from 2.3.5 to 2.4 and it does not work with the CPC 1100. USB connect does not connect to the mount and about all that happens is the Dew Heater icon just spins. So much for progress. And I can't find the installer for 2.3.5 anywhere to reinstall it. Completely fubar.

Luckily it did not ruin my night of EAA. I just ran the mount with StarSense alignment and the HC. Used the Celestron Focuser Utility and ran SharpCap without mount, focuser, dithering and plate solving support. Not the best way to do things but it worked.

#2 Bean614

Bean614

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 24 January 2022 - 05:40 AM

Why DID you update it?  Was it not working?  Did Celestron tell you to update it?  Did you check to see if updating it would be of any help to your item or version?

#3 mlord

mlord

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 24 January 2022 - 08:33 AM

I can't find the installer for 2.3.5 anywhere to reinstall it.

I probably still have that if you want it.  Message me.

#4 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 24 January 2022 - 10:13 AM

Let us be clear here as regards nomenclature....

Version <2.4.0 beta> of CPWI works fine for me. This version can still be downloaded from TeamCelestron.

Version <2.3.5> is also still available via TeamCelestron. However, in the public domain it has just been replaced by <2.4.Final>.

However, it appears that Version <2.4.final>. now has the problems reported above and was released into the public domain in January 2022. However, it first appeared in TeamCelestron at the same time (so was it ever properly beta tested?). It added support for dew heaters etc, the same devices where issues are now being reported. Prior to this, TeamCelestron has been pretty dormant for months. I decided not to upgrade until I saw favourable feedback and didn't.

If now stuck with the flaky <2.4.final> version, an easy fix is to reinstall <2.4.0> (or <2.3.5) from TeamCelestron. But if not a member, I suggest that one contacts Celestron Support. 

#5 MarMax

MarMax

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2022 - 11:25 AM

First, thanks for all the replies!

Why DID you update it?  Was it not working?  Did Celestron tell you to update it?  Did you check to see if updating it would be of any help to your item or version?

Because I'm stupid mainly. Actually I never liked the interface and the update claimed an new interface. I usually always have the prior version in my software downloads folder, which I did not check first, and of course I did not have 2.3.5 to go back.

I probably still have that if you want it.  Message me.

I'll try contact and Celestron to get it and if that fails I'll message you.

Let us be clear here as regards nomenclature....

Version <2.4.0 beta> of CPWI works fine for me. This version can still be downloaded from TeamCelestron.

Version <2.3.5> is also still available via TeamCelestron. However, in the public domain it has just been replaced by <2.4.Final>.

However, it appears that Version <2.4.final>. now has the problems reported above and was released into the public domain in January 2022. However, it first appeared in TeamCelestron at the same time (so was it ever properly beta tested?). It added support for dew heaters etc, the same devices where issues are now being reported. Prior to this, TeamCelestron has been pretty dormant for months. I decided not to upgrade until I saw favourable feedback and didn't.

If now stuck with the flaky <2.4.final> version, an easy fix is to reinstall <2.4.0> (or <2.3.5) from TeamCelestron. But if not a member, I suggest that one contacts Celestron Support. 

You would think that <2.4 final> would work, as in, team Celestron did some testing on the various platforms before releasing it. I would think there are still lots of CPC 1100 GPS mounts out there. I have the mount and a Celestron motor focuser. I have the new dew heater ring but I'm not going to purchase the Celestron controller.

#6 reifheck

reifheck

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Colorado

Posted 24 January 2022 - 01:47 PM

Well I made the mistake of updating my CPWI from 2.3.5 to 2.4 and it does not work with the CPC 1100. USB connect does not connect to the mount and about all that happens is the Dew Heater icon just spins. So much for progress. And I can't find the installer for 2.3.5 anywhere to reinstall it. Completely fubar.

Luckily it did not ruin my night of EAA. I just ran the mount with StarSense alignment and the HC. Used the Celestron Focuser Utility and ran SharpCap without mount, focuser, dithering and plate solving support. Not the best way to do things but it worked.

No worky for me either. Switched back to 2.3.5frown.gif

Reif

#7 Astronomia Oaxaca

Astronomia Oaxaca

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oaxaca Oax. Mexico

Posted 24 January 2022 - 02:59 PM

I updated and had the same troubles, CPWI was especting to find a dew heather, I reinstalled it as administrator and it is working now

• mlord likes this

#8 MarMax

MarMax

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2022 - 03:02 PM

Here is the email reply from Celestron FYI.

Thank you for contacting Celestron Technical Support.

If you are having connection issues with the latest version of CPWI, please update your Prolific chipset driver, and if you are using any ASCOM drivers, update them as well.

Details for downloading the Prolific driver are seen at the bottom of page 3 of this Nexstar Plus hand controller troubleshooting guide:

https://celestron-si...oting Guide.pdf

Good luck!

Celestron Technical Support

#9 scopewizard

scopewizard

Viking 1

• Loc: Alberta, Canada

Posted 24 January 2022 - 03:45 PM

It runs fine on my CGX USB mount and HC connections as long as I set the icon to Administrator mode.

#10 wrvond

wrvond

Skylab

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 24 January 2022 - 04:27 PM

Here is the email reply from Celestron FYI.

Thank you for contacting Celestron Technical Support.

If you are having connection issues with the latest version of CPWI, please update your Prolific chipset driver, and if you are using any ASCOM drivers, update them as well.

Details for downloading the Prolific driver are seen at the bottom of page 3 of this Nexstar Plus hand controller troubleshooting guide:

https://celestron-si...oting Guide.pdf

Good luck!

Celestron Technical Support

I'm never quite sure how to react when they say "Good luck!"...  

• Seiten likes this

#11 scrufy

scrufy

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 24 January 2022 - 04:29 PM

Team Celestron has been almost non existence from Engineering for 2 years.

Derrick(Eng/Celestron) was given some other assignments that seemed temporary at the time but I haven't seen much from him there for a long time.

#12 scopewizard

scopewizard

Viking 1

Posted 24 January 2022 - 05:54 PM

Here is what I have found so far. One must run it using administrator. If you disconnect, it will not reconnect unless you shutdown and restart the program. If you don't shutdown, the dew heater is searching only.

This not ideal and very frustrating. So far not impress with ease of use. I will be going back to older version.

#13 MarMax

MarMax

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2022 - 09:04 PM

I've now run v2.4 as administrator and it finally did connect up. It was a bit strange because it took a couple of tries before it connected up. Celestron support has been very responsive with two replies in one afternoon to questions.

I have a link for v2.3.5 if anyone feels the need. I've only run v2.4 in the garage to see if the mount would connect. It still needs a night under the stars to confirm all is well.

• wrvond likes this

#14 fafa

fafa

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wilkszyn, Poland

Posted 26 January 2022 - 11:44 AM

Hello, i went to official website and 2.4.1 is available - i have installed it on windows 11
well it seems very fast to recognize device: also graphically is a bit better than predecessor (i mean 2.35 cause i did not try bugged 2.4.0 version), also slew control appears nice
Only problem i can see is that Gamepad is not properly work. To be precise i could not slew right and up (i can hear engine impulse, but don't slew) while i can slew left and down

i've tested with 2 different xbox gamepad, same behaviour
I have also informed TeamCelestron

aaaaaaa.png
22222.png
3.png

Edited by fafa, 26 January 2022 - 01:08 PM.

#15 MarMax

MarMax

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 26 January 2022 - 12:12 PM

Great tip on 2.4.1, there must have been a lot of Tickets submitted to Celestron since 2.4 was posted up.

EDITED to add a cut and paste from the Celestron update history:

Celestron PWI (CPWI)

2.4.1 January-2022 Bug Fix: CPWI not always connecting to mount

2.4.0 January-2022 Updated user interface design.
Added support for Dew Heater and Power control box accessory.

Clearly there were reported problems that have been addressed with 2.4.1.

I still have a question regarding ASCOM. It seemed like there was an installation order that is preferred with CPWI and ASCOM but I can't seem to find my notes on it. It think it was suggested to install CPWI first and then follow with ASCOM. Is this correct?

Or, maybe Celestron fixed this problem with the new CWPI.

Edited by MarMax, 26 January 2022 - 12:17 PM.

#16 fafa

fafa

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 January 2022 - 12:19 PM

About   ascom,as i read in manual, install before ascom and then CPWI so it will recognize ascom (of course if you have already ascom,just install cpwi)

Great tip on 2.4.1, there must have been a lot of Tickets submitted to Celestron since 2.4 was posted up.

EDITED to add a cut and paste from the Celestron update history:

Celestron PWI (CPWI)

2.4.1 January-2022 Bug Fix: CPWI not always connecting to mount

2.4.0 January-2022 Updated user interface design.
Added support for Dew Heater and Power control box accessory.

Clearly there were reported problems that have been addressed with 2.4.1.

I still have a question regarding ASCOM. It seemed like there was an installation order that is preferred with CPWI and ASCOM but I can't seem to find my notes on it. It think it was suggested to install CPWI first and then follow with ASCOM. Is this correct?

Or, maybe Celestron fixed this problem with the new CWPI.

#17 Noah4x4

Noah4x4

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colchester UK

Posted 26 January 2022 - 01:02 PM

I have just tried to install 2.4.1 on an old computer where I first test anything (e.g., to prevent any malicious stuff getting into my network) and Windows Defender pushed me back. I proceeded, and Norton AV then stopped me. Thinking it safe (but perhaps too few users), I proceeded. CPWI 2.4.1 did open, and it then connected to my mount by WiFi. But it just got stuck at the 'Dew Heater', the same reported problem as with '2.4.Final'. I am staying with 2.4.0 beta on my telescope PC until this is sorted.

#18 fafa

fafa

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 January 2022 - 01:19 PM

This is weird,  i don't understand how can be reported as malicious file, if has been released by celestron and was downloaded from official website.

Maybe you should try to reinstall to another machine in order to understand if issue will be repetitive , but maybe you have already tried cause you mentioned an old machine. 
about 2.40 final I was reading you can skip issues about dew executing file with Run as Administrator.

Another option is to do a clean new installation, uninstalling the old one and removing regedit keys.

I did not have problem at all with 2.4.1,  except joystick as i reported (i installed to an old machine but with windows 11) - Tomorrow i will make tests with another machine with win10 and one (different) machine with windows 11 . 

Then i would be able to exclude that my issue depends by operative system (i don't think so anyway) 

I will also test it with nexstar HC ( actually I connected cpwi  my new HC starsense) and Wi-Fi of course 
In worst scenario i can use 2 HC like you described , instead of Gamepad or I’ll reinstall 2.35 final ( I don’t like beta sw ) :-)

I have just tried to install 2.4.1 on an old computer where I first test anything (e.g., to prevent any malicious stuff getting into my network) and Windows Defender pushed me back. I proceeded, and Norton AV then stopped me. Thinking it safe (but perhaps too few users), I proceeded. CPWI 2.4.1 did open, and it then connected to my mount by WiFi. But it just got stuck at the 'Dew Heater', the same reported problem as with '2.4.Final'. I am staying with 2.4.0 beta on my telescope PC until this is sorted.

Edited by fafa, 26 January 2022 - 02:04 PM.

#19 mlord

mlord

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Ottawa, Canada

Posted 26 January 2022 - 03:06 PM

This is weird,  i don't understand how can be reported as malicious file, if has been released by celestron and was downloaded from official website.

It wouldn't be the first time that a "manufacturer release" included accidental "extras".  :)

• fafa likes this

#20 MarMax

MarMax

Mercury-Atlas

• topic starter

Posted 26 January 2022 - 03:21 PM

I'll hold off for a bit since I'm not using the mount tonight and wait on some feedback that 2.4.1 is working. With 2.4 final working for me I'll not go farther down the rabbit hole . . . yet.

Noah4x4 and fafa please post up any new findings.

#21 wouterdebie

wouterdebie

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 26 January 2022 - 04:24 PM

I'm having some issues as well. I didn't choose to upgrade, but rather reinstalled my laptop and ended up with the latest version. What I'm seeing is that CPWI doesn't respond to manually slewing N or E, but does to to W and S when using other ASCOM apps (like NINA or the ASCOM Device Hub). Slewing to a target works though.

Does anybody happen to have an older version laying around? It'd be nice is Celestron kept a public archive somewhere anyway. 

For others, their archive can be found at https://software.cel....com/installers

Update: I just installed 2.3.5 and the bug is gone. I'll file a bug report with Celestron for this particular thing.

Edited by wouterdebie, 26 January 2022 - 04:28 PM.

#22 fafa

fafa

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 January 2022 - 04:46 PM

hi,

Thanks for your feedback!  For sure you have installed 2.4.1 like me
did you use Nina via cpwi? ( I know you can choose between cpwi and celestron ascom as I remember)

issue reported by you is identical  to mine; I had identical one ( N and E are not working with gamepad but working if I use cpwi slew commands on the screen) - looks like new version commands could have this problem when used with additional controller or external program - very interesting; I will check that also testing commands in  sharpcap ( via cpwi and also via celestron ascom driver) and I will share outcome 

I'm having some issues as well. I didn't choose to upgrade, but rather reinstalled my laptop and ended up with the latest version. What I'm seeing is that CPWI doesn't respond to manually slewing N or E, but does to to W and S when using other ASCOM apps (like NINA or the ASCOM Device Hub). Slewing to a target works though.

Does anybody happen to have an older version laying around? It'd be nice is Celestron kept a public archive somewhere anyway. 

For others, their archive can be found at https://software.cel....com/installers

Update: I just installed 2.3.5 and the bug is gone. I'll file a bug report with Celestron for this particular thing.

Edited by fafa, 26 January 2022 - 04:50 PM.

#23 wouterdebie

wouterdebie

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 26 January 2022 - 04:50 PM

did you use Nina via cpwi? ( I know you can choose between cpwi and celestron ascom as I remember)

This was using CPWI as the ASCOM driver for the mount. Both NINA and the ASCOM Device Hub ascom apps give the same bad result, so my assumption is that Sharpcap will not work either. In my case I can only choose CPWI for my telescope and I didn't have a Celestron ASCOM driver. Where did you get that?

Edit: I installed the Celestron ASCOM driver as well and this doesn't seem to suffer from the same bug (because it's not made by Celestron I think). However, I think I'll stick to CPWI right now, since the Celestron driver seems a bit flaky with detecting the COM port.

Edited by wouterdebie, 26 January 2022 - 05:14 PM.

• fafa likes this

#24 scopewizard

scopewizard

Viking 1

Posted 26 January 2022 - 05:19 PM

This was using CPWI as the ASCOM driver for the mount. Both NINA and the ASCOM Device Hub ascom apps give the same bad result, so my assumption is that Sharpcap will not work either. In my case I can only choose CPWI for my telescope and I don't seem to have a Celestron ASCOM driver. Where did you get that?

I have checked it with NINA and APT, same slewing issues using my CGX.

Otherwise all other functions seem to be working fine.

I use CPWI without the HC.

I never use the slewing mode in either programs so not worry about it. 

• fafa likes this

#25 fafa

fafa

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 January 2022 - 05:25 PM

Hi

I installed celestron unified from ascom website

afterthat I have installed cpwi 

then opening sharpcap and going in hardware tab , mount section I can choose between “cpwi” or “Celestron telescope driver”

1.png

2.png

once You make the choice , driver will appear under “scope control “ section 

both solutions are workings but if you choose cpwi you have to open cpwi (and connect mount to cpwi) before to open sharpcap while celestron scope driver allow you to drive scope without cpwi 

What i am expecting is to have the problem described by you if , having 3.41, I’ll choose cpwi in sharpcap but not if I will choose celestron telescope driver

i will also keep cpwi , so let’s wait that celestron will fix this issue :-) 

This was using CPWI as the ASCOM driver for the mount. Both NINA and the ASCOM Device Hub ascom apps give the same bad result, so my assumption is that Sharpcap will not work either. In my case I can only choose CPWI for my telescope and I didn't have a Celestron ASCOM driver. Where did you get that?

Edit: I installed the Celestron ASCOM driver as well and this doesn't seem to suffer from the same bug (because it's not made by Celestron I think). However, I think I'll stick to CPWI right now, since the Celestron driver seems a bit flaky with detecting the COM port.

Attached Thumbnails

• 33AAF1C9-C698-4F7D-957E-D06499BDB638.jpeg

Edited by fafa, 27 January 2022 - 03:47 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics