•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ritchey-Chretien astrograph for EAa

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 keith9932

keith9932

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2022 - 07:26 PM

Hello,

Is anyone using a 6 or 8 Ritchey-Chretien astrograph for EAA?  If so, how has your experience been with this type of scope?  I would be using it with ASI485.

Thanks,

Keith

#2 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

A man of many qualities, even if they are mostly bad ones

• Moderators
  • Loc: Nicosia, Cyprus

Posted 25 January 2022 - 01:07 AM

Hi Keith,

I used a 6" RC and I so enjoyed it, that I am currently planning for an obsy that will house a 12" RC for EAA.

I posted about first light here - since then, I learned a lot more about SharpCap to fix the green bias in my images and then moved to ASIAir Pro which does a much better job at autocorrecting the color calibration of images in live viewing, although it does not allow you the degree of control that SharpCap provides.

RCs are great if a) you are not afraid to collimate them once in a while and b) you are ok with star spikes. Use with the 0.67x CCD reducer for RCs and you will speed up integration time, plus get a reasonably "wide" FOV.

• keith9932 likes this

#3 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 25 January 2022 - 09:32 AM

I've never tried a RC scope, as I have been a little scared by the comments I've read on collimation. It will certainly be interesting to see how many EAAers use them.

• keith9932 likes this

#4 keith9932

keith9932

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2022 - 02:49 PM

@Nick,  Thanks for the feedback!  Great first light photos.  Certainly not bad at all for a single image.  Which brand of RC scope do you have and also which focal reducer?   I have been looking at both the GSO and Orion.  I believe GSO may manufacture the Orion RC?   It looks like GSO also has a 0.75x focal reducer.  

How has your experience been with collimation?

Thanks,

Keith

#5 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Moderators

Posted 26 January 2022 - 01:09 AM

Hi Keith,

It was a TS branded 6" RC, the same as the Orion / Astro Tech / etc, made by GSO. Collimation is easy if you use the right tools and know what you are doing, just like any scope I guess.

GSO does have a 0.75x reducer, but the benefit of the 0.67x CCD reducer is that it takes you down to 0.67 and if you don't mind some imperfections, you can increase the reduction factor even further.

• keith9932 likes this

#6 nother

nother

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hamburg, Germany

Posted 26 January 2022 - 05:20 AM

This is my new 10" RC. Not yet tested properly ... just a moon as first light grin.gif

rc10_small.jpeg

• nicknacknock, MartinMeredith, steveincolo and 4 others like this

#7 MartinMeredith

MartinMeredith

Viking 1

Posted 26 January 2022 - 05:26 AM

Impressive looking scope!

(I'd love to see the dobsonian that fits on the side-bearing you have in the background...)

• nic35, steveincolo and Tfer like this

#8 nother

nother

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hamburg, Germany

Posted 26 January 2022 - 05:38 AM

(I'd love to see the dobsonian that fits on the side-bearing you have in the background...)

lol.gif

#9 keith9932

keith9932

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 26 January 2022 - 08:49 PM

@Nick-  Thanks for the info on the scope and the reducer.  I found the AP one so that looks like a good fit for the RC scope.

@Martin- Very nice scope!   Can't wait to see your first images!

• nicknacknock likes this

#10 nicknacknock

nicknacknock

• Moderators

Posted 27 January 2022 - 12:31 AM

Keith,

The Starizona APEX L 0.65x reducer is also suitable for RC scopes per Starizona. Has a bit wider imaging circle if of interest.

• keith9932 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics