•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

HELP! Can You Image This Planetary Nebula Soon!?!

Astrophotography DSO Imaging
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SNH

SNH

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: North central Arkansas

Posted 24 January 2022 - 11:05 PM

Hello! Apologize, but I do not frequent this section of CloudyNights because I'm a visual observer only. However, I have a request/challenge for those who are interested and are looking for such a thing. You see, I am working on a future Sky & Telescope article and can't find a great image of the planetary nebula known as Böhm-Vitense 5-2 (BV 5-2, Sh 2-179, PK 121+0.1, PN G121.6+00.0) in Cassiopeia. The best that I've found after all my searching is this one by Diego Barucca and this one better one by J. Shuder. So I would like to include a high-quality image in the article, and am wondering if anyone can do better than J. Shuder's?

Thank you!

Scott Harrington

#2 CharLakeAstro

CharLakeAstro

Viking 1

• Loc: 44.53,-76.01

Posted 24 January 2022 - 11:10 PM

Gary Imm is the guy you want to reach out to... a true master of Planetary Nebulae imaging.

His image below is quite good.

get.jpg?insecure

Edit - I sent Gary a PM on AstroBin so he knows you are looking for an image

Edited by CharLakeAstro, 24 January 2022 - 11:17 PM.

• SNH likes this

#3 raguramm

raguramm

Vostok 1

Posted 24 January 2022 - 11:26 PM

https://www.astrobin...c1/?q="Sh2-179"

To my eye this seems a better rendition - found on Astrobin. You’re right it’s not very commonly imaged.

Edit: char lake beat me to it!

Edited by raguramm, 24 January 2022 - 11:26 PM.

• CharLakeAstro and SNH like this

#4 Gary Imm

Gary Imm

Mariner 2

• Loc: Onalaska, TX

Posted 25 January 2022 - 12:14 AM

Scott, feel free to use my image if that works for you.  You should be able to download the full resolution image from Astrobin - first click on the image, then click on the Full Resolution button at upper left.

Just make sure it is 3012x2286 after you download it.  If it isn't, just let me know and I will be happy to send it to you.

Gary Imm

Onalaska, TX

P.S.  The object transits now 2 hours before nautical sunset so it will be hard to get a new decent image of it until later this year.

• CharLakeAstro and SNH like this

#5 Gary Imm

Gary Imm

Mariner 2

Posted 25 January 2022 - 12:43 AM

Scott, one more thing - in addition to Böhm-Vitense 5-2, I have also posted images of the other 2 Böhm-Vitense objects (5-1 and 5-3) on Astrobin as well, in case that is of interest to you.

#6 SNH

SNH

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: North central Arkansas

Posted 26 January 2022 - 09:35 AM

Scott, feel free to use my image if that works for you.  You should be able to download the full resolution image from Astrobin - first click on the image, then click on the Full Resolution button at upper left.

Just make sure it is 3012x2286 after you download it.  If it isn't, just let me know and I will be happy to send it to you.

Gary Imm

Onalaska, TX

P.S.  The object transits now 2 hours before nautical sunset so it will be hard to get a new decent image of it until later this year.

Hey, thank you, Gary. I have to say that I've bumped into a lot of your images while searching for ones concerning my article! The reason I didn't run across your image of BV 5-2 in Astrobin is because I didn't hit upon the right keywords since it goes by many designations (B-V 5-2, BV 5-2, B-V 2, ect.).

Interesting that even though it is circumpolar, it would be hard to shoot because it has already transited the meridian after sunset. I figured that wouldn't be a big deal since you guys shoot while the Moon is in the sky and under brighter skies than my own!! I guess it is mostly because you would normally take a lot of long exposures and you are worried that each one would be progressively worse over the course of an hour (as it dropped slowly lower)?

Scott, one more thing - in addition to Böhm-Vitense 5-2, I have also posted images of the other 2 Böhm-Vitense objects (5-1 and 5-3) on Astrobin as well, in case that is of interest to you.

Thank you. I have seen all three in my 10-inch and found that BV 5-3 is the brightest followed by BV 5-1 and then BV 5-2. And I have saved a link and downloaded a copy to your image of BV 5-1!

Scott

• CharLakeAstro likes this

#7 Gary Imm

Gary Imm

Mariner 2

Posted 26 January 2022 - 10:20 AM

Scott, you are right, an image is possible over a wider range of months for this object (for those of us in the northern hemisphere), since it is at +60 and never falls below the horizon (for me, transit is at 58 degrees, lower point is 4 degrees above horizon).  But as it drops lower, there becomes more atmosphere in the way and the resulting image is softer and lower quality.  It is especially an issue for anything that will be printed, where you want the color and details to be as good as possible.

• CharLakeAstro likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, DSO, Imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics