•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

3 nebulae in Auriga - comments requested re 2 versions

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 26 January 2022 - 03:40 PM

The Spider, the Tadpole, and the Flaming Star.

Wanted to try my new C8 RASA/Astronomik 6nm Ha MaxFR/2600MM combination.   Rotten night, normally I would have passed on it.  This is 24/35 subs, more than I usually discard.  But I was flabbergasted by the detail with 48 minutes (24X120) in Bortle7.

Two versions.  The first is the original.  In the second I did a number of things to increase contrast and detail.  Imagine 5 versions.  The ones below are 2 and 4.  1 has less contrast and detail than 2.  3 is in between 2 and 4.  5 would have more contrast and detail than 4.

Comments solicited on:

Which of the 5 you would personally prefer.

Anything else you want to say.  Have at it.  <smile>

Better versions here.

https://www.astrobin.com/nieqwy/B/

three nebulae auriga v1.jpg

three nebulae auriga v5a.jpg

Edited by bobzeq25, 26 January 2022 - 03:45 PM.

• Jim Thommes, lukasik, noodle and 15 others like this

#2 Topographic

Topographic

Viking 1

• Loc: Tarn et Garonne, France

Posted 26 January 2022 - 04:02 PM

Bob

Of the two I prefer the first, stars seem a little tighter and although there is less contrast I find it more 'natural'.

Lovely work.

David

• bobzeq25 likes this

#3 CharLakeAstro

CharLakeAstro

Viking 1

• Loc: 44.53,-76.01

Posted 26 January 2022 - 05:56 PM

Bob - Nice image!!

It is unfortunate that part of the Flaming Star is out of frame... to get the Spider in frame. I suppose you had to choose one or the other unless this was the start of a mosaic...

• sctt50 and bobzeq25 like this

#4 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 26 January 2022 - 06:36 PM

Nice! Super deep ha data, I like 2 the best.

#5 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Cosmos

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 26 January 2022 - 07:17 PM

Bob - Nice image!!

It is unfortunate that part of the Flaming Star is out of frame... to get the Spider in frame. I suppose you had to choose one or the other unless this was the start of a mosaic...

There is always the idea of mosaic, or the idea to buy a wider FOV scope with slightly larger sensor say APS-C or using a reducer, some people just like to image one target or maximum two in the frame and exclude another one, some like to include them all, for me i hate mosaic, so the only option is to go wider then, and i am still thinking about how much widest i should go that is acceptable rather than too much WIDE that it really take out details of main targets. 

• CharLakeAstro likes this

#6 noodle

noodle

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hong Kong

Posted 26 January 2022 - 07:22 PM

I like ver. 2 , better star profile and  background detail

#7 RogeZ

RogeZ

Vanguard

• Loc: Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Posted 26 January 2022 - 08:45 PM

Good amount of signal for 48 mins but I would go easy on the processing…between the star reduction, MT and noise reduction, the loss of fine detail and the scarring to the image is significant. With processing, less is more. imho of course.

#8 Look at the sky 101

Look at the sky 101

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Citizen of the earth .

Posted 26 January 2022 - 08:48 PM

Superbly done,  love the number 2 .

#9 ntph

ntph

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sudbury, ON

Posted 27 January 2022 - 12:06 AM

I'm a bit confused with the two versions out of 5, 2 or 4 question but my preference is the upper version in the post. Probably more that I find the lower one a bit too punchy, maybe a bit too much sharpening and contrast for my taste compared to the upper version, after a good look at both on A-Bin. So does that mean I might like version 3 out of 5, or just something maybe a little more than the upper one and less than the lower one? confused1.gif lol.gif

Impressive performance of the setup, I must say. Nice kit and good work, Bob. Looks like that Ha filter plays OK with the RASA. 

Edited by ntph, 27 January 2022 - 12:43 AM.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#10 iwannawon

iwannawon

Vostok 1

• Loc: Red zone, SW Houston, TX

Posted 27 January 2022 - 12:45 AM

very nice. i think on the forum i prefer #2. i'm pretty sure on my pc screen i'd prefer #1. i tried on my last posted image to get something that would translate well but i couldn't. looking at my orig vs what uploaded was disappointing. (and then looking from work laptop was even worse). i'm assuming there are ways to make it work but i don't know them. i like both yours but i assume some detail is lost in the process so i think the higher contrast helps (me). but i think going up to a version 5 would be too much.

• bobzeq25 likes this

#11 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Vanguard

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 27 January 2022 - 01:47 AM

The Spider, the Tadpole, and the Flaming Star.

Wanted to try my new C8 RASA/Astronomik 6nm Ha MaxFR/2600MM combination.   Rotten night, normally I would have passed on it.  This is 24/35 subs, more than I usually discard.  But I was flabbergasted by the detail with 48 minutes (24X120) in Bortle7.

Two versions.  The first is the original.  In the second I did a number of things to increase contrast and detail.  Imagine 5 versions.  The ones below are 2 and 4.  1 has less contrast and detail than 2.  3 is in between 2 and 4.  5 would have more contrast and detail than 4.

Comments solicited on:

Which of the 5 you would personally prefer.

Anything else you want to say.  Have at it.  <smile>

Better versions here.

https://www.astrobin.com/nieqwy/B/

attachicon.gifthree nebulae auriga v1.jpg

attachicon.gifthree nebulae auriga v5a.jpg

This is exactly what I have been working on, but because of my eccentricity of not rotating my camera ever, I could only get Tadpole and Flame..  Still capturing this evening.

Your shots look really good !!
2022-01-26_222119.jpg

Clear Skies !!

#12 imtl

imtl

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Down in a hole

Posted 27 January 2022 - 04:44 AM

Bob,

I looked at the Abin version and it looks like there was much post processing star reduction done. Is it just my screen or it is correct? (I vote for my screen because it is bad).

#13 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 27 January 2022 - 11:00 AM

Bob,

I looked at the Abin version and it looks like there was much post processing star reduction done. Is it just my screen or it is correct? (I vote for my screen because it is bad).

It's correct. 

The data was (to me) surprisingly deep.  The nebulae were overshadowed by _large_ numbers of stars.  They were like a screen across the frame.

I can understand someone saying "well, that's the way it is".  I don't think that way.  I'm the classic "pretty picture" imager.  I wanted the nebulae to take center stage.  So I fixed it.  <smile>

Re people's comments.  I think the top version is more natural, the bottom has more dramatic input.  I think I'll go for something in between.

Thanks, the comments have been really helpful.

This is exactly what I have been working on, but because of my eccentricity of not rotating my camera ever, I could only get Tadpole and Flame..  Still capturing this evening.

Your shots look really good !!
attachicon.gif2022-01-26_222119.jpg

Clear Skies !!

Thanks.

Yep, I rotated the camera.  Some of my technical work is weak (I'll try to reduce the stars better), but I do like my framing.  <smile>

Edited by bobzeq25, 27 January 2022 - 12:08 PM.

• galacticinsomnia likes this

#14 fewayne

fewayne

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Madison, WI, USA

Posted 27 January 2022 - 01:42 PM

Just out of curiosity Bob, have you tried out the star reduction in APP? The beta was underwhelming, at least for me, but the release 1.083 is supposed to be significantly better. I haven't really played with it myself. Mostly starnet does what I want.

#15 DRK73

DRK73

Apollo

• Loc: Maryland, United States

Posted 27 January 2022 - 03:09 PM

Funny - I have been working on almost this exact framing using a FRA400 with its 0.7x reducer and my asi2600mm. Think I probably finished collecting on it last night and have ~900 sub frames to crunch (SHO and LRGB).

FWIW, I like the contrast in your #2. 

• bobzeq25 likes this

#16 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 27 January 2022 - 03:22 PM

Just out of curiosity Bob, have you tried out the star reduction in APP? The beta was underwhelming, at least for me, but the release 1.083 is supposed to be significantly better. I haven't really played with it myself. Mostly starnet does what I want.

No.  MorphologicalTransformation is PI is extremely adjustable (a PI trait), so I see no need to go looking elsewhere.

Just need to learn to use MT better.  Also a PI trait.  <smile>

#17 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 28 January 2022 - 12:16 PM

Thanks for the comments, I paid attention.  <smile>

My final (at present) version is somewhere in between,  It's complicated, based on the particular features.  Worked harder on the stars, dialed the reduction back a bit.  Better noise reduction.  Just the astrobin version, the required CN jpg blurs the distinctions between versions.

https://www.astrobin.com/nieqwy/C/

People have been surprised when I say I take 10-50 hours to process an image.  This one is up to about 10, and it's black and white. 

PixInsight does not do good images automatically.  <smile>

#18 mehdymo

mehdymo

Viking 1

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 05 March 2022 - 02:58 PM

Nice job. Thanks for sharing this. I guess Asronomic FRmax filters are better than Baaders as they don't roduce any halo. Have you tried all three narrowband filters? any downside compared to Baader?

Mo

#19 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

• topic starter

Posted 09 March 2022 - 01:23 AM

Nice job. Thanks for sharing this. I guess Asronomic FRmax filters are better than Baaders as they don't roduce any halo. Have you tried all three narrowband filters? any downside compared to Baader?

Mo

I just have the Ha MaxFR.  I like HaRGB, the concept is to use a 2600MM to capture Ha, then a 2600MC for RGB.  One really doesn't want to change filters a lot with a RASA.

• mehdymo likes this

#20 mehdymo

mehdymo

Viking 1

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 09 March 2022 - 01:34 AM

This is ineteresting! I am using a ZWO mini EFW on EdgeHD 11"+Hyperstar 4. There is a slight vignetting on ASI294 with 31mm filters, but it is acceptable. I will be testing 5 nm astrodons on it, but I guess it will have too mcuh tranmission loss and I will end up bying an Astronomik MaxFR set. Unfortunatelly, I haven't had a clear night for like two weeks!

I just have the Ha MaxFR.  I like HaRGB, the concept is to use a 2600MM to capture Ha, then a 2600MC for RGB.  One really doesn't want to change filters a lot with a RASA.

#21 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Cosmos

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 09 March 2022 - 08:17 AM

Unfortunately, i don't have RASA or even SCT Hypertstar, and another unfortunately that i don't want to use one scope with two cameras, i want to use both of cameras together at same time which means two scopes definitely, and last unfortunately, i don't have MaxFR filters.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics