•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Autofocus and bahtinov masks with filters

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 WSMIKE

WSMIKE

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 January 2022 - 04:23 PM

Hi
I was wondering if one can double check autofocus results with bahtinov mask in all filters including narrowband. I would need to order a bahtinov mask so before I do I’d check with everyone’s experience.

#2 crowley213

crowley213

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Querétaro, México

Posted 26 January 2022 - 05:03 PM

I only have the 2” Optolong L-Pro filter, not a real narrowband filter, mounted in the flattener of my WO Z61II and it works to focus with the Bathinov mask that is integrated in the telescope cap. But it definitely needs a bright star to get a good visible cross from the mask.

Herbert

• Notdarkenough likes this

#3 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 26 January 2022 - 05:38 PM

As Herbert said.

I would add that instead of ordering a Bahtinov mask for the quick check, you can make one simply enough if you ask your kids nicely to borrow some of their arts & crafts supplies.

https://www.deepskyw...tinov-mask.html

I used black construction paper for the mask, with the white printed paper glued to one side for cutting.  Works well, even without the autofocuser (used mine for several years).

#4 fewayne

fewayne

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Madison, WI, USA

Posted 26 January 2022 - 05:41 PM

If you're using it to check, yeah, it works well. For actually achieving focus, the long exposure times necessary decouple the hand-eye-screen loop pretty badly, at least with rig. For focusing I pin the gain to the peg and bin 2x2 or 4x4, but NB images still take several seconds to show spikes.

#5 WSMIKE

WSMIKE

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 January 2022 - 06:26 PM

Has anyone tried the tri-bahtinov mask?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics