•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Need help with SBIG (now SMS) SM-1 Seeing Monitor

Equipment Observatory Software Astrometry
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sheakev

sheakev

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Rodeo NM in Winter; Madison WI in Summer

Posted 26 January 2022 - 10:14 PM

I just moved into a new home which has an observatory as well as other astronomy equipment specifically a Seeing Monitor which I believe to be an SBS SM-1.

I downloaded the software and drivers from the SBS website and have hooked my computer up to it via a USB cable.  When I attempt to get it going I get an error message along with a lengthy debug report. I have a Window 10 64 bit PC.  I did load the latest SBIG drivers but I don’t see any markings on the camera, or really anywhere in the case.

It appears that I have a connection to the device.  It seems to be setup properly but when I ask it to take an image I get an error message  It gives the opportunity to ignore the fault I select ignore but then nothing happens.

I would love to get it working just not certain if I am having a hardware, software, or operating system problem. I have written SBS but thought I post here on the chance that someone might have had a similar problem and resolved it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kevin

#2 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Soyuz

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 26 January 2022 - 10:28 PM

The ST-i was discontinued, likely you'll need to contact SB to see if the driver is actually compatible with your system.  Also, you may find that the cable you are using to connect from the Win10 machine to the ST-i may have a chipset which isn't properly supported.  Lots of issues when attempting to connect legacy equipment to current machines cause these kind of headaches.  The worst case scenario is the ST-i itself has failed in some way.  It may be possible to upgrade to the QHY in this case depending on whether the only difference between the SM-1 and SM-2 is simply a sensor swap.    

#3 sheakev

sheakev

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2022 - 10:54 AM

I heard back from SBS they said it was an SBIG seeing monitor (prior to the SM-1, likely circa 2008)

I did find an SBIG seeing monitor software on the SBIG site.  I did download it and it installed correctly, however when I went to run it, I got an error message that it was missing a sbigudrv.dll file. So, until I get the software running it will be difficult to sort out connections, drivers and hardware.  At least it was cloudy yesterday, so I didn't need a monitor to tell me that there was a problem with seeing, <LOL>.

I didn't see any other documentation on their site.  I wrote them asking if any were available. Still hoping to get this hardware working or declare it DOA.

Kevin

#4 carolinaskies

carolinaskies

Soyuz

• Loc: Greenville SC

Posted 27 January 2022 - 11:58 AM

Found this thread... may be helpful until you hear back from them. 

https://forum.diffra...s-version.8180/

• sheakev likes this

#5 mbarber

mbarber

Lift Off

Posted 27 January 2022 - 12:54 PM

Hi Kevin

To add to my private reply last night and to clarify what I believe you have there is an old SBIG Seeing Monitor.  It is unrelated to the Santa Barbara Scientific SM-1 and SM-2 Seeing Monitors.  Our SBS SM-1 used an ST-i camera and the current SM-2 uses a QHY5L-II-M camera.  From my former days at SBIG I recall that the SBIG Seeing Monitor used the guts of an SBIG ST-402ME camera (same sensor as the ST-7XME).   

So, if you have download the software from the Diffraction Limited site and it is calling for an SBIG driver, you can try installing the drivers for the ST-402ME camera or the ST-7XME and this may supply the needed dll.

Regards,
Michael Barber
Santa Barbara Scientific, LLC
QHYCCD

• Mbenj2405 and sheakev like this

#6 sheakev

sheakev

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2022 - 10:27 PM

Michael,

Thanks for your note last night and your suggestions here.  You are right it is the SBIG circa 2007 Seeing Monitor.  With the SBIG drivers and the software from their site I was able to get it working (I think) tonight.

I now have to figure out what the data means and whether it is properly aligned and focused.  This device has been siting in the Arizona/New Mexico sun from probably 2008.  I'm not sure when the last time it was used.

Thus, even though it wasn't your firm's product you helped me get it sorted out, Thanks again!

Kevin

PS, when I did contact SBIG they too pointed me in the right direction and helped to troubleshoot an initial error message.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment, Observatory, Software, Astrometry

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics