•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Shortage of equipment?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 John R.

John R.

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2022 - 12:14 AM

Just got back into the hobby and noticed that equipment and accessories seem to be ‘out of stock’ everywhere. 
Was looking for 90mm tube rings for my short tube 80 and just nada. Is this usual, or just a current problem. 

#2 Ken Sturrock

Ken Sturrock

Cardinal Ximenez

• Administrators
  • Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 27 January 2022 - 12:26 AM

Yeah, it's been a challenge during much of the pandemic.

• BFaucett and No N in collimation like this

#3 TxStars

TxStars

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 27 January 2022 - 12:31 AM

Pandemicity has many people trying new hobbies that don't require social interaction.

When and if things get back to sane levels expect a flood of used equipment.

Charles

• No N in collimation likes this

#4 gene 4181

gene 4181

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: n.e. ohio

Posted 27 January 2022 - 12:31 AM

Scopestuff, CR 35  , 54$ , incl. shipping

#5 Oyaji

Oyaji

Messenger

• Loc: Central Illinois, USA

Posted 27 January 2022 - 12:34 AM

https://www.teleskop...m-diameter.html

I have often bought stuff from Teleskop Express that either was out of stock from US vendors or not sold at all by US vendors.  The shipping isn't inexpensive, but this company's prices are reasonable and the company is very reliable.   

Edited by Oyaji, 27 January 2022 - 01:19 AM.

• happylimpet likes this

#6 ayadai

ayadai

Viking 1

Posted 27 January 2022 - 01:15 AM

One way to sum it up: It's patchy, but unless you're looking for something exotic or exclusive, most things can be found.

#7 John R.

John R.

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2022 - 02:02 AM

Thanks, I did find some for $55 but thought it a bit steep when the 100mm rings at Orion are $37  (they list cat# for 9 different sizes but only have the 100mm and 298mm). 

Anyway, last week went ahead and made my own saddle and hold the scope on with a big hose clamp. Taped felt to the tube to protect the paintwork. Works, and everything was in my scrap wood project bin but I did buy the 6in. hose clamp. So maybe I got $10 into it. Just ordered another 8.25in. Vixen style dovetail from Amazon.

Last two weeks built a oversize German style EQ mount out of wood with 2in. ABS pipes for the polar and dec axis. Not as smooth as a $500 mount but it damps in 2-3 seconds and will serve until I decide if I want to drop the coin on a factory model. 
That dinky little short tube 80 on it looks comical. 

• Ken Sturrock, No N in collimation and firemachine69 like this

#8 IR656nm

IR656nm

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 January 2022 - 04:41 AM

Just got back into the hobby and noticed that equipment and accessories seem to be ‘out of stock’ everywhere. 
Was looking for 90mm tube rings for my short tube 80 and just nada. Is this usual, or just a current problem. 

Hi John,

Maybe try the second hand market ? www.astrobuysell.com are quite good.

or the forums on the Astronomy forums may have them. Lots of people sell their goods when they move on or change their interests/upgrading equipment etc.

#9 No N in collimation

No N in collimation

Vostok 1

• Loc: 36° N

Posted 27 January 2022 - 07:21 AM

Maybe try the second hand market?

I've seen them recently here in the CN classifieds

#10 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 27 January 2022 - 09:11 AM

Last two weeks built a oversize German style EQ mount out of wood with 2in. ABS pipes for the polar and dec axis. Not as smooth as a $500 mount but it damps in 2-3 seconds and will serve until I decide if I want to drop the coin on a factory model. 

Unfortunately, if you do decide on a commercial mount at some point in the future, prices are likely to be even higher.

#11 gduk

gduk

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 27 January 2022 - 09:31 AM

Yes, i saw one guy annoyed about delay in prepaid big expensive scope, was going to cancel, order again later supply shortages for sure, I bet if he reorders it's late this year delivery and 30% more expensive, I would just wait, prices going up, nothing wrong with vintage, I do not buy new anyway.

#12 LDW47

LDW47

Voyager 1

• Loc: North Bay,Northern Ontario,Canada

Posted 27 January 2022 - 09:57 AM

I bought a couple of sets of 60mm scope rings, they are very hard to find, from Australia, I just received them. It took almost 2 months but it was worth it.  PS. Those size are hard to find at any time.

#13 John R.

John R.

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2022 - 11:07 AM

Yes, I’ve noticed steeply rising prices also. A little 4in. table top reflector  that Orion had for $120 last year is now $160. Thing is, where I live a clear sky is an unexpected gift. And there is a lot of light pollution. You can ignore the weather report, just step outside and look is the only way to know so you you have to be nimble to take advantage of current seeing conditions. 
But I suspect that is true of a large segment of the suburban population in this country. 
Since my cataract surgery much of the time I just want to bundle up warm, lay back on an outdoor recliner, and just look. 
One factor missed by my friends who express a passing interest in the night sky is that they don’t spend the time necessary to let their eyes dark adapt. There is a big difference after 20-30 minutes sitting in the dark outdoors. 

• smallbinos likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics